Lucky Pierre - Aidan Moffat

drilla

A band I know nothing about. I just heard one song, which is here: 1-15 lucky pierre - angels on your body.mp3 - 6.88MB

To me it sounds like unabashed preset laziness-- but that's not necessarily negative. The simple sounds and textures, as well as some of the simplistic mixing technique, start to create a palette of sound that is not unpleasant. the simplistic meanderings of its regularly grid based part-shifting makes a rigid maze-like form in the mind's eye that is interesting enough to watch for the whole 5 minutes of the track. You tell me. who is this guy? is he worth exploring further?

faustus

he's the guy out of arab strap right? they've had loads of albums out, off the top of my head, 'the week never starts round here' (slint sort of stuff, when it's good it's really good), 'the red thread', 'the last romance' (much more folky).

lots of bitter scottish lyrics. i really like them

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Thanks for that, hadn't heard the Lucky Pierre stuff. Arab Strap definitely worth checking out, second 'weekend starts here'. They're a great, great band.

tom pr

third the sentiment that they were a great band. i was at their second last ever gig (or rather, the one that was supposed to be their second last ever - they ended up playing their final shows in japan i think). the four tet remix of 'first big weekend' is an all-time percy, as is their cover of 'why can't this be love'.

aiden's solo album 'i can hear your heart' is really good too. i like that more than the lucky pierre stuff.

tox

Factory Girl
third the sentiment that they were a great band. i was at their second last ever gig (or rather, the one that was supposed to be their second last ever - they ended up playing their final shows in japan i think). the four tet remix of 'first big weekend' is an all-time percy, as is their cover of 'why can't this be love'.

aiden's solo album 'i can hear your heart' is really good too. i like that more than the lucky pierre stuff.

was that the one in edinburgh? cos I was there too. great gig that. big arab strap fan. infact i just noticed winamp is playing rocket take your turn - nice coincidence.

i can hear your heart is well worth picking up, certainly one of my favourite releases on chemikal underground that one (high praise!). i'm quite a fan of malcolm middleton's (other half of arab strap) records as well, although its safe to say they're much more of the straight up indie variety.

Benny Bunter

'The red thread' is the best Strap album, no contest. 'Philophobia' is also worth checking, though it is far too long. It begins with the line 'It was the biggest cock you'd ever seen' and goes pretty much downhill from there unfortunately.

Haven't checked out Moffat's solo stuff. They just sorted of descended into self parody after a while, song after song about getting pissed and shagging birds. A bit tedious.

Malcolm Middleton's solo stuff is meant to be pretty good isn't it?

tom pr

was that the one in edinburgh? cos I was there too. great gig that. big arab strap fan. infact i just noticed winamp is playing rocket take your turn - nice coincidence.
aberdeen. i think edinburgh was the one before it, then their meant-to-be-last gig was in glasgow. i may be wrong though...

re: best arab strap album, i think it's really hard to pick one. the only album i think is really good from start to finish is the last romance (maybe the red thread, actually), but that's dead short and doesn't have as great individual songs as philophobia/weekend/monday do. i think it's the overall picture that makes them such a good band; the missteps on the albums are pretty endearing, and pretty suitable to the mood of it all. the one that people really laud is the quiet violence ep, but i've never heard it and i think it's pretty hard to come by.

tox

Factory Girl
re: best arab strap album, i think it's really hard to pick one.

The Red Thread is my favourite Arab Strap album, although it was actually Mad For Sadness that got me into the band (the live versions of Girls of Summer, Piglet and New Birds are all great). Singles wise its got to be Cherubs EP (for Motown Answers), Rocket Take Your Turn or Turbulence.

Adele who does female vocals on various tracks went on to form Sons and Daughters, who are really rather good as well. Talented bunch.