Tartan Film is bust

IdleRich

IdleRich
Only just heard this (apparently went under in June) and it's a shame, don't know much about the company except that over the years a lot of films I've watched and enjoyed have come up with the Tartan logo before the credits. Lots of the Asia Extreme stuff but other things as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartan_Films

crackerjack

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thought that this was interesting (from that article)

"Tartan has released far more Ingmar Bergman titles on DVD than any Swedish distributor"
In my mind though Tartan will always be associated less with Swedish angst than with that scene in The Isle where the guy tries to kill himself by swallowing a load of fish hooks on string and then pulling his guts out of his mouth.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"possibly not a coincidence that tartan films have to be amongst the most widely fileshared. i'm as guilty as anyone of course."
Well, this bit seems to suggest that there is more to it than that (although obviously what you have done is inexcusable).

"For once, Hamish McAlpine was lost for words. "I really can't comment," the flamboyant and normally loquacious UK film distributor told me earlier this week when asked what had pushed his film distribution company Tartan Films into administration. "I am not allowed to comment on the situation at this moment. I've been gagged. I just can't help you at all." He wasn't, he added, even allowed to comment on why he couldn't comment."

Well, this bit seems to suggest that there is more to it than that

sure- it's just smaller distros of more leftfield stuff are going to feel the bottom line more, but as the marginal flourishes online it's their product that proportionately gets copied the most, maybe. i reliase there's ways round this but anyway...i allow myself to feel at least a little moral conflict

(although obviously what you have done is inexcusable).

i like to think there's still room for Redemption. but then they went bust years ago ;)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"sure- it's just smaller distros of more leftfield stuff are going to feel the bottom line more, but as the marginal flourishes online it's their product that proportionately gets copied the most, maybe"
That makes sense to me.

"i like to think there's still room for Redemption. but then they went bust years ago"
I blame that horrible naked goth that appears covered in blood at the start of all their movies. Something Weird are carrying the torch at the moment - a lot of the films are terrible but they always pad it out with some interesting extras such as an educational film about US Navymen examing their genitals to see if they've got any sexually transmitted diseases (turns out most of them have) presented as entertainment.

mms

sometimes
it's a real shame but i think it's been in trouble for a while and not particularly down to filesharing as well, which is probably why mr mcalpine doesn't want to comment etc, it's was a good label with talented people working for them. It seems it was a pretty harsh end as well, people out on their arses without any payoff, although from what i know the signs were there and people were leaving.

I blame that horrible naked goth that appears covered in blood at the start of all their movies.

demographically it was proved to give 70% of their viewership a soft lob. you could be right- i always thought the goth aesthetic was pretty misleading, they were putting out shonteff and shit like that, but the sleeve would suggest softcore s and m (tho of course they did that too...). i don't think euro explotation nerds are overwhelmingly goth

Something Weird are carrying the torch at the moment - a lot of the films are terrible but they always pad it out with some interesting extras such as an educational film about US Navymen examing their genitals to see if they've got any sexually transmitted diseases (turns out most of them have) presented as entertainment.

frank hennelotter's a hero isn't he? i reckon his essay on falling in love with exploitation films in shock xpress is my favourite piece of writing on film. got a lot of respect for him as a collector and historian, and his own films are a lot of fun. i saw the Fredric Hobbs stuff SWV have reissued recently. now that guy was worth unearthing! i'd never heard of him at all.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"i saw the Fredric Hobbs stuff SWV have reissued recently. now that guy was worth unearthing! i'd never heard of him at all."
Nor had I until ten seconds ago but he sounds fantastic.

mms

sometimes
demographically it was proved to give 70% of their viewership a soft lob. you could be right- i always thought the goth aesthetic was pretty misleading, they were putting out shonteff and shit like that, but the sleeve would suggest softcore s and m (tho of course they did that too...). i don't think euro explotation nerds are overwhelmingly goth

well that's an issue as they released some incredible stuff like the valerie film and czech new wave etc, that you'd never instantly associate with a lady in rubber.

woops

is not like other people
best thread evar

needs another post

'º please refresh browser frequently'

Last edited: