saying 'yuk' to curry is racist: political correctness in the uk

swears

preppy-kei
"I am not racist, I've been friendly with an Indian for 30 years. I've also been to a Muslim wedding where it was explained to me that alcohol would not be served and I respected that.

"But if Muslims were asked to go to church on Sunday and take Holy Communion there would be war."

"I'm not racist, but those muslims sure are crazy and violent!"

To be fair though, I resented having to pray to any god at school.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

"But if Muslims were asked to go to church on Sunday and take Holy Communion there would be war."

"I'm not racist, but those muslims sure are crazy and violent!"

Point being, though, that it's inconceivable anyone would ask Muslim pupils to go to church or pray to (big-G) God, let alone punish them for refusing.

But then, you can't overestimate the Mail's exaggerating-things-out-of-all-proportion tendencies in cases like this. Or ever, really.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"is this typical for the uk, or is it just fascist propanda by that filthy rag, the daily mail?"
I don't get why, if you know that the Mail is a filthy rag that produces little-Englander propaganda to an audience that are waiting to be horrified by the latest example of the pc brigade pandering to the Islamic aim to make us all speak Arabic, you linked to articles in the Mail?

"I've also been to a Muslim wedding where it was explained to me that alcohol would not be served and I respected that."
Such a titanic feat of self-denial surely deserves to be commended.

hucks

Your Message Here

Oh, at the very least...

Point being, though, that it's inconceivable anyone would ask Muslim pupils to go to church or pray to (big-G) God

I don't think it's inconceivable at all. The two (what a diverse area I grew up in!) sikh kids in my school had to go to church whenever we did. It was equal opportunities, no minority or majority spared the tedium of happy clappy christianity

john eden

male pale and stale
All I can say is that neither of those articles bears any relationship with my experiences of my daughters school, or that of any of my friends who have kids at school, or my friends who are teachers at UK schools.

It is, however, typical of the "anti-pc" hysteria in the Daily Mail.

In fact, it is that climate of Daily Mail anti-pc-ness (in which right wing journalists pore over 366 page reports to find the merest traces of "pc" material to froth at the mouth about) which characterises the UK climate these days.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I don't think it's inconceivable at all. The two (what a diverse area I grew up in!) sikh kids in my school had to go to church whenever we did. It was equal opportunities, no minority or majority spared the tedium of happy clappy christianity

But how long ago were you at school? And Sikhs aren't really the focus of much religious or political controversy.

Edit: this story was posted on another messageboard I've just seen 34 minutes after it was posted here. Jungian synchronicity on the interweb, again.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale

It may depend on what kind of school you go to, but it seems pretty unlikely that people would be forced to pray against their will (and that of their parents) these days, after the Human Right Act (thanks to those faceless crypto fascists in Brussels who will shortly be forcing YOU to have sex with cucumbers!)

When I was at primary school the Islamic kids and the couple of Jehovah's Witnesses just had to sit about outside assembly whilst the rest of us sang hymns and all that. Ditto secondary from what I can remember.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"to rattle your chain"
Oh. Why pick on me?

"about schoolboys who got punished for refusing to pray to Allah (in school)"
If you read the article though it says

"Parents were outraged that the two boys from year seven (11 to 12-year-olds) were punished for not wanting to take part in the practical demonstration of how Allah is worshipped."
Which seems to mean to me that they were being asked to take part in a simulation of praying to Allah rather than to actually pray to Allah. You might think it's a fine distinction but it seems to me that in the first case you are acting and in the second case you may be being asked to do something that is actually compromising to your (potential) beliefs.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Whether it's offensive or not, it's pretty bloody daft. What value is 'taking part in a practical demonstration' of how Muslims pray? Can't you just read about it, or watch someone else do it?

It'd be interesting to see this approach applied to, say, a history lesson about the Hundred Years' War, or a biology lesson about pregnancy and childbirth. :D

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Whether it's offensive or not, it's pretty bloody daft. What value is 'taking part in a practical demonstration' of how Muslims pray? Can't you just read about it, or watch someone else do it?
Yeah, but I think Hanlon's Razor could usefully be applied here...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, but I think Hanlon's Razor could usefully be applied here...

Would that be anything to do with making criticisms specifically of Islam that could be generally applied to any religion or culture? Am I close?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Would that be anything to do with making criticisms specifically of Islam that could be generally applied to any religion or culture? Am I close?
Nah. "Never attribute to malice that which could be adequately explained by incompetence."

mms

sometimes

It'd be interesting to see this approach applied to, say, a history lesson about the Hundred Years' War, or a biology lesson about pregnancy and childbirth. :D

cheaper than going to a mosque - when my sister was doing r.e. for gcse they had to drive up to london on a bus to visit synagogues, temples and mosques, in a kind of religion in action day-trip, it's 5-6 hours there and back.

don_quixote

Trent End
what i imagine happened is that the re teacher decided to do roleplay, possibly even not with the boys in question, they were rude to the teacher and decided to cause a fuss, and it's all gone a bit out of control for no reason other than it's good to get in a hissy about

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
In my school the religious educating teacher would typically be locked in a cupboard at the beginning of a lesson and, if he was lucky, released at the end of it. At the time I thought this was possibly a little on the unruly side but I now realise it was entirely correct and as it should be. Clearly something is going very wrong in our schools today.