Early Boards of Canada

tryptych

waiting for a time
Some years ago, I came into possession of a CD of early BoC tracks titled "demo tape", which has some great stuff on it, the highlight being a track called "Trapped" which has a pitched down soul/pop acapella over an exemplary BoC pads and beats construction. Similar in style to their "Midas Touch" track as Hell Interface.

I've only now started to wonder about the other early, cassette only releases. Does anyone have any of them? What are they like?

The one I have is called "A Few Old Tunes" apparently:

http://www.discogs.com/release/690476

rob_giri

Yea i never been able to get the old cassette tapes, 'acid memories' et al, but the two '..old tunes' collections have some reaaally awesome stuff which, although a little more 'dated, sometimes reaches on par with the best tracks on their later albums, plus it carries the spirit of 90s electronica.

But i've always been looking for those cassettes online, at least i was about 3 years ago. Time to re-check.

blah blah insert teenage spiritual fanaticism with their illusive mystery and deep spirit and plans to make pilgramages to the scottish highlands... ahem... :)

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
Speaking as a lapsed obsessive, if i remember right there was a (brief) period where they had a couple of 30 second clips of stuff from Play By Numbers tracks on one of their old webpages - very guitar based/MBV style from what I recall

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
a few years ago they used to have all their tape releases included in their discography on their website, but for some reason they were removed and now i think their discog begins with twoism, but no doubt if you google around a bit you can probably find a full list of that early stuff somewhere or other. you can find some of their pre-twosim stuff on soulseek, compliled as A Few Old Tunes vols 1 & 2, they're a mixed bag though, some great stuff that and some crappy vocal house.

Last edited: