Unexpected parental likes

STN

sou'wester
Once in-car music democracy had been restored, many years after 'Step in the Ring' by Guns and Roses had received an unexpected first airing (with me staring fixedly out of the window, waiting for the cursing to stop), my mum could surprisingly rock to the following:

Boops by Super Cat
Saturday Night by Schoolly D
Most of K9 Posse's output, for some reason.

She does not (I hope) understand the lyrics of any of these

In other news, I've just done the most half-arsed job of ironing a shirt the world has ever seen.

john eden

male pale and stale
My dad quite liked This Nation's Saving Grace by The Fall, cos it reminded him of his Duane Eddy records with all the twangy guitar business.

He also used to whistle "Enola Gay" round the house quite a bit.

It has been quite some time since I exposed my parents to music, as you can probably tell.

swears

preppy-kei
I was quite surprised to find Salt N Pepa's "Push It" and Neneh Cherry's "Raw Like Sushi" in my mum's old tapes, but it's not really that odd when you consider she was only about 28 at the time. I think I mostly associate her tastes with the 70s stuff she liked as a teenager: Roxy, Bolan, etc...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
last year my mum gave me a load of 7"s from her past. all shit apart from the period she did vso on monserrat- a fair bit of mighty sparrow etc, over which we bonded.

normally though such things only occur when listening to folk or jazz, which i and both my parents swap with each other irregularly.

being middle class englishers, its the only way we can express emotion

mms

sometimes
i gave my mum drukqs by aphex twin to listen to once when i went on holiday wih her and she said shse liked the fast ones but thought the ambient ones - the ones you'd think she'd like - were boring

gabriel

The Heatwave
Really? Crikey! I will never, ever forget the sight of my mate's mum dancing to Good Hole College by Red Dragon which is absolute filth.

i'd managed to forget about that and now you've just reminded me.

I hasten to point out that it wasn't my mum though.

my mum likes craig david. my dad's jazz/world music band do a version of monkey man by toots & the maytals, and he also wrote a reggaeton-style tune for them a few years back when i was doing heatwave vs mas fuego and introduced him to reggaeton.

mos dan

fact music
stn and gabriel obviously get invited to better weddings than i do lol

my dad has given both kode9 and burial a good go, and although he's been quite into them, they will never quite live up to his trojan boxsets. he listened to reggae pretty much exclusively for about three years in the 70s, before returning to a steady diet of dylan/csny/bluegrass/etc.

my mum listens to bach, the archers, and nothing else. not very unexpected, really.

Tweak Head

My mum liked Colossal Youth by Young Marble Giants. She even asked me to tape it for her (this was a long time ago).