black roots - white fruits

swears

preppy-kei
Once they get it ready to put out, they’ll use pictures of little black children, and black women with afros-

lol, on every retro soul and funk clubnight flyer ever.

viktorvaughn

I read an interview with him somewhere and he basically seemed like a cock, whining about how real music was made on old school synths etc, basically some purist snoozefest.

'I don’t believe in genre titles.'

Not this again! Snoozefestival alert. There's only good music and bad music. Yeah not like, I dunno, developing nuance and subtleties in palettes of language to describe and differentiate things to fellow humans is actually pretty fucking useful is it!?

straight

wings cru
i love you theo but f-u-c-k y-o-u. come on. I dont want to be seen as fighting in eminems corner but i dont think you can call him a tourist

Last edited:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I love theo too, but white people not belonging at certain club nights? Hello racism. These rants are only ever counterproductive.

viktorvaughn

From a Resident Advisor interview -

'with traditional forms you're dealing with hands-on, hard-learned lessons, so those kinds of shortcuts like Fruity Loops, Acid, Serato, Final Scratch and even MySpace too—all of these different things, they make me kind of skeptical of the folks that use them'

'So what do you want to call your music?' 'Sound sculptures.'

Oh dear.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Jesus, you could drive a bus through pretty much all of those arguments about music itself. Still i'm not at all surprised. I love his music, but don't really love this

mos dan

fact music
'I don’t believe in genre titles.'

Not this again! Snoozefestival alert. There's only good music and bad music. Yeah not like, I dunno, developing nuance and subtleties in palettes of language to describe and differentiate things to fellow humans is actually pretty fucking useful is it!?

pet hate of mine, this. dubstep heads like using it when you're explaining to them that they are listening to aquacrunk or similar ;)

stelfox

Beast of Burden
the righteous indignation of a racist prick

not especially cool to go around calling african americans racist, btw, whatever you might think of what he's saying. what he's saying is extremely ill-advised in lots of ways, but reverse racism or whatever you want to call it is pretty damned thorny ground to start treading, especially when the issue at hand is the idea of an endemic white-on-black racism at the heart of western society.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
not especially cool to go around calling african americans racist, btw,

What, even when they're being just that? I can't really see the problems of racism and racial inequality getting much better any time soon when you've got people, of any skin colour, promoting segregation the way he seems to be (at clubs/parties, where people are supposed to relax, have fun and forget about their hang-ups, right?). He also trots out some tired Afrocentrist rubbish about how "all music music is originated on black experience".

He's got some good points, but he's got some badly over-simplified and misdirected ones too.

Edit: he also thinks RATM were an "all-white band", bless.

Last edited:

Eric

Mr Moraigero
not especially cool to go around calling african americans racist, btw, whatever you might think of what he's saying.

you're suggesting self-censorship? this is weird stelfox ...

anyway it seemed to me that theo just answered the question put to him. `have you stopped beating your wife?' this kind of thing. a reasonable answer seemed not to be expected.

straight

wings cru
not especially cool to go around calling african americans racist, btw, whatever you might think of what he's saying. what he's saying is extremely ill-advised in lots of ways, but reverse racism or whatever you want to call it is pretty damned thorny ground to start treading, especially when the issue at hand is the idea of an endemic white-on-black racism at the heart of western society.

Being brought up in northern irish means i understand how anger at how another group has treated you can colour your opinions but i think talking about white folk not having any business being at certain parties is cut and dried racism. Calling white people thieves for using the same samples (pieces of a record hes nicked himself!) is down right insulting. white people dont have a sense of musical community?

elgato

I just dont know
its an interesting one for sure. i agree with Stelfox to a fair extent... i think perspectives, no matter how alien or threatening, on the 'African experience' (and therefore African-American experience, and other instances of historical oppression) should definitely be approached with an open mind and careful tread. i think that strong reactions are at very significant risk of propagating negative understandings of behaviour and ongoing power dynamics

on my more cynical days i have brushed with similar (although less extreme and much less erm black and white, no pun intended) sentiments to those expressed here, although ultimately i dont think i would ever settle with a perspective which is so negative and divisive

john eden

male pale and stale
It is a bit of a dumb thing to say, but what he is saying is slightly outweighed by the larger issues of:

a) institutional racism / the legacy of colonialism/slavery
b) black culture being appropriated by white people
c) white people profiting from black culture without paying their dues or giving credit where credit is due
d) other forms of racism

I'm not a cultural relativist but it is a bit odd to see people being so quick to shout "racist" in that context.