dokkebi-q

tom pr

i can't get enough of these guys right now. saw them at plastic people for that osaka invasion thing the other night and assumed after hearing their dub cum noise cum dancehall blend that they were ove-naxx, the guys who dj rupture's signed. but it turns out ove-naxx is someone else altogether (and he wasnt that good).

it's one producer and a female mc/singer from dalston via japan. the songs on their myspace are good- especially 'blackcherrybonbon' and 'black vomit' but you've got to see them play live, where you can really get into the sustained groove of it all over half an hour plus. anyone know any more about these guys? they should get booked for fwd or something.

another band who were very good was bogulta, lightning bolt esque drum and bass combo. but where as the dokkebi-q recorded stuff sounds good, the tunes on their myspace don't capture the thrill of the surf-rock melodies coming through the sheer racket they make. still worth checking out live though...

p.s. if this thread descends into a general discussion of japanese noisemongers then all the better.

mos dan

fact music
i used to really like ove-naxx's first few bits for adaadat! shame he wasn't that good at pp. chris/wordthecat.com is about to go and live in osaka, so we might get his perspective on that very same scene pretty soon.

woops

is not like other people
osaka invasion

you can see dokkebi-q and some other osakan invaders foc at korsan on thursday

bogulta are evidently ex-zuinosin

Last edited:

3 Body No Problem

It was a fun event. Hope there's more to come. Dokkebi-Q didn't seem to have played though.

More and more dodgy boozers and pubs seem to be converted to cool arts and music space. That's good!

3 Body No Problem

yeah what is this trend about??? suddenly every two bit bar on kingsland road seems to have a disco or bassline night on. i'm not complaining!

A self-amplifying ongoing process that started with the gentrification of Hoxton in the 90s, and went into overdrive when East-London got the Olympics.