Comedy/novelty music

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Thinking back to 80s indie and comparing to its namesake today, as well as all the other obvious changes (to music, aesthetic, fanbase etc) another one is the real lack of any joke songs/records about now.

99% of indie today is so serious about itself it hurts - whereas I suppose part of what made it more likeable in the 80s was the prevalence of the more tongue and cheek tunes (i.e. by the likes of half man half biscuit).

I wouild be interested on speculating the cause of this (maybe it’s simply because music backed by the majors allows no space for the throwaway)

Also, it’s worth comparing to grime, where there does seem to be a high quota of “jokes” tunes....i.e....

mos dan

fact music
'junior spesh' is the 'all i want for xmas is a dukla prague away kit' of the 21st century, good call. favourite hmhb song is probably 24 hour garage people.

yeah i think indie lost its sense of humour in recent years when the moldy peaches* split up and disappeared up their own solo career arses. the magnetic fields have some amusing/witty songs but it's not the same as an actual comedy/novelty song... (also recording songs for car adverts rather took the edge of stephen merritt's appeal for me)

i love the line about so solid in that black boys version "big up the 253 men, women and children in the so solid crew" lol

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Flight of the Conchords have me laughing out loud regularly... Jemaine is a comedian first, but Bret's been playing in bands for years and years... weirdly a "serious" solo track of his is on one of those Back To Mine comps.