80's House & Techno

Alfons

Way of the future
Im doing an 80s house night this weekend actually, stop by and say hi if you are in Reykjavik by any chance :D

page0_blog_entry205_1.jpg

But yeah, have been going through a lot of records and am absoloutly in love with this stuff now.

A Number of Names - Shari Vari : 808 state - Pacific State : Robert Owens - Bring Down the Walls: Model 500 - Night Drive (Time, Space, Transmat):

and many many more

swears

preppy-kei
One thing I always noticed is that pre-'90 house and techno sounds "colder" to me. More minor chords, more synthetic sounds, a lot of melancholy... just something in the way the music was put together. Post '90, there seems to be more of a warth to it, more positivity, influences from new age nu-hippyness and disco-revivalism coming in, more live instrument samples.

Obviously this isn't hard and fast, I'm sure there are exceptions.

straight

wings cru
cajmere - Peculator.

In fact pretty much every green velvet and cajmere tune till la la land

also can anyone help with a track ID, mid 90's housey detroit or chicago. Has a B+w pic of a rather fruity looking black man with bleached hair dressed up as cupid on the cover. Cant for the life of me remember what happened to it, absolutely fantastic. maybe called aphrodite but nothing on discogs

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
cajmere - Peculator.

In fact pretty much every green velvet and cajmere tune till la la land

also can anyone help with a track ID, mid 90's housey detroit or chicago. Has a B+w pic of a rather fruity looking black man with bleached hair dressed up as cupid on the cover. Cant for the life of me remember what happened to it, absolutely fantastic. maybe called aphrodite but nothing on discogs

cajmere was a second gen 90's dude
that record came out in 92.

stuff on trax, early transmat, metroplex, dj international, nu groove, early dance mania, outer rhythm, early network, easy street etc, thats you're bag.

Client Eastwood

Jack Trax

Basslines . . .

Adonis - Rocking Down the House

Chip E - Time to Jack

Adonis - To Far Gone

Ready for the Darkness . . .

Phuture - Your only friend

Bam Bam - Where's your child

straight

wings cru
cajmere was early 90's but ive always felt his production fell into that more lo-fi age of house. even the stuff from the 00's like 'sometimes i do' has that sound

mms

sometimes
getting british... warriors dance too..

todd terry orange lemon

man machine outer rhythm

jungle krew elecktric dance

ripped off by altern8

lil louis blackout

l b bad new age of faith as ripped off on smokebelch by weatherall

mayday nude photo

sha'lor

i'm in love - truly lovely

black man a black man and another black man - do you believe

serious intention - you don't know

sueno latino too of course

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=1odEmDYg4Y4

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
man machine outer rhythm

Big list. The Man Machine guy Ed Stratton is one of the main people at the massive sample library distro Time & Space isn't he? I reckon that must be a better business from a financial standpoint than selling actual music, at least for the last 8-10 years or so. Pretty much guaranteed sales for a good product and CDs that sell for £40 a pop or more. Not that that is what music is about of course, just musing.

It's not 80s but this was my favourite thing he did - STEP INTO TIME* - with that lovely sample of Djivan Gasparyan playing the Armenian duduk.

* Argh, youtube clip is well scrotched up.

mms

sometimes
Big list. The Man Machine guy Ed Stratton is one of the main people at the massive sample library distro Time & Space isn't he? I reckon that must be a better business from a financial standpoint than selling actual music, at least for the last 8-10 years or so. Pretty much guaranteed sales for a good product and CDs that sell for £40 a pop or more. Not that that is what music is about of course, just musing.

It's not 80s but this was my favourite thing he did - STEP INTO TIME* - with that lovely sample of Djivan Gasparyan playing the Armenian duduk.

* Argh, youtube clip is well scrotched up.

just reminded me of another ace track by him

i think thats gasparyan on there too..

suburban knight the groove

Blake baxter - sexuality

tyree video crash

lil louis the original video crash

Client Eastwood

Bleep and Bass, to my old ears these could pass as 4/4 grime instrumentals
pure raw vibes

Ital Rockers

Unique 3

Sweet Exorcist