Ø - Oleva

zhao

there are no accidents
at first i was like whoa 3 english song titles?!

and then i was like WHOA he's making Pink Floyd references?!?!

and then i was like OH MY GOD IT'S ACTUALLY A SICK NEW VERSION OF THE SONG!!!!!!!!

and entire album is top notch by the way.

Leo

btw, what's the proper name that mika uses for this stuff: is it O (as in "L, M, N, O...") or 0 (as in zero/zed)?

nochexxx

harco pronting
i've been meaning to buy this for sometime now and the idea of mika doing a cover of set the controls is right up my street. sick!
the clips sound right on form. the problem i'm having is i already own such a large chunk of this stuff that i find it hard to warrant buying more such horse meat. silly i know.

psherburne

Phinnweb says it's pronounced "Ohm".... news to me. :)

Also, I find Oleva to be Vainio's greatest departure so far, so even if you own a huge chunk of this stuff, this one's definitely worth getting....

nochexxx

harco pronting
in typical junkee style i couldn't help but look for the record after reading this thread.
my vinyl buying habits are seriously going through the roof at the moment i guess a few more won't hurt. :eek:

mr sherburne i'm about to drop you a p.m, please check it when you can.

zhao

there are no accidents
Phinnweb says it's pronounced "Ohm".... news to me. :)

Also, I find Oleva to be Vainio's greatest departure so far

it's really good, perhaps moving in a more accessible direction, with all ideas clearly articulated as ever... but the "greatest so far"? i dunno about THAT...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
What's the style? Is it technoey or more ambient?

Kantamoinen is probably one of my favorite electronic albums ever, it's amazingly atmospheric but very clear and honest, I don't know why so few people rave about it.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Ø as in Null
Or rather the empty set. Which is a great name for something so minimal and old school science-obsessed, I think.

Eventually, Ø is also a danish letter, pronounced like the german ö, as well as a danish one-letter word meaning "island".

michael

Bring out the vacuum
it's really good, perhaps moving in a more accessible direction, with all ideas clearly articulated as ever... but the "greatest so far"? i dunno about THAT...
I read "greatest departure" as "biggest departure", not "best departure".

zhao

there are no accidents
What's the style? Is it technoey or more ambient?

Kantamoinen is probably one of my favorite electronic albums ever, it's amazingly atmospheric but very clear and honest, I don't know why so few people rave about it.

a few songs are technoey, but not straight 4/4 like some old trax. the ambient ones are fucking gorgeous.

on some of the older albums there are noodly places, none on this.

psherburne

jesus, zhao, calm down. i'm open to you disagreeing. to me, yeah, it sounded quite different, structurally (if not sonically) from almost all the earlier Ø work, and certainly from pan sonic. but hey, it's also not like i've heard plenty of those releases in quite a while, so i might be off base. what seemed new to me was this long, structural unwinding, where he introduces one idea, then moves laterally to another, and finally finishes up with a new cluster of sounds that hadn't appeared before.

zhao

there are no accidents
jesus, zhao, calm down. i'm open to you disagreeing. to me, yeah, it sounded quite different, structurally (if not sonically) from almost all the earlier Ø work, and certainly from pan sonic. but hey, it's also not like i've heard plenty of those releases in quite a while, so i might be off base. what seemed new to me was this long, structural unwinding, where he introduces one idea, then moves laterally to another, and finally finishes up with a new cluster of sounds that hadn't appeared before.

sorry if i sounded "not calm"? not sure how my comments appeared that way though..

i'll have another listen with structural evolution in mind.

psherburne

sorry zhao, the "i think not" and "hardly" sounded snippy to me, but i was probably feeling sensitive last night after my neighbor reamed me out for DJing admittedly rather loud last night.

zhao

there are no accidents
let's talk about the last pan sonic album. how do people feel about it? about the presence of cello?

i think it's a very successful use of strings in the context. that first cut is very nice... if a bit too restrained. but for me a bit too much sound scape noise in the middle of the album. i checked out that girls solo cello album though and really love it. like acoustic Gas.

haven't run into Mika lately... i'm not going to the right parties.

nochexxx

harco pronting
how do people feel about it? about the presence of cello?

i have to admit i wasn't feeling the cello at all and for me it ruined the album. i thought the last thing pan sonic needed to do was become even more serious and austere. I would have liked for them to have done something super-rediculous, perhaps work with kool keith or at least try and work with somebody who could inject something vastly different in feel. if only hasil adkins would come back from the dead and do vocals for them.
i was very glad to see ilpo sporting a mullet during there last uk gig.

Leo

if only hasil adkins would come back from the dead and do vocals for them.

ha...that's not as far out as it might seem (except, of course, for the haz being dead and all...): i once went to a mika vaino dj set and the ONLY thing he played was old rockabilly singles. it totally bummed out the artsy hipsters.

zhao

there are no accidents
i can see where you coming from, but do you think the cello made it "more serious"??? i just liked the sound, the texture of the strings fit well with the analog static.

they've done stuff with that Jimmy Tenor dood, who is PRITAY silly if you ask me...

and the VVV stuff with the junkie from NYC is, if still very "serious", a bit of a "pop noir" version of their music.

mego075.jpg

i really liked this album...