Stephen Merritt

tryptych

waiting for a time
Stephin Merritt

Is I think my favourite songwriter... I only discovered The Magnetic Fields four or five years ago, and just got hold of the Future Bible Heroes record "Eternal Youth" today, which is absolutely blowing me away on first listen. I've no idea why it took me so long to get it.

Anyone else a fan? I guess it doesn't seem like a very Dissensian thing...

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

69 love songs is the only thing i've heard, some great songs on that. His new one's meant to be all swathed in feedback a la Psychocandy isn't it? Which i suppose i'm mildly intrigued by :slanted:

tryptych

waiting for a time
The new album "Distortion" is indeed covered in feedback, I think on every instrument and every voice has some element of it. I don't think it totally works - when I saw them play the new songs live, acoustic and totally sans feedback of any kind, then the songwriting really shone through. Stripped of all that you realise what great songs they are, that I think was a little obscured on the record through the production.

PeteUM

It's all grist
He would easily get my vote as the greatest songwriter working today. 69 Love Songs is just this towering entity. I'm having some relationship issues at the moment though, so my Wolf Eyes thing has fallen right off...