Skanna

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
his darkside/jungle records ca. 93-94 kill it, no? I've kind of a developed an addiction to them, and I had a few questions. I thought this would be a good place to ask them. were Skanna's records big at the time, or are they obscure classics? why did he stop making jungle records and start pumping out mediocre progressive house/trance? most importantly, are there any other darkside records as good as Skanna's (aside from the usual suspects - Rufige Kru/Metalheadz, Doc Scott, Bizzy B, etc.) from that era that anyone wants to recommend?

also, while I'm doing this, does anyone know what the hell the vocal sample from track A2 of the Night Stalker EP is? I swear I've heard it before in another famous jungle tune or even UKG, but I can't put my finger on it.

hucks

Your Message Here
He did some more Bukemy type stuff too, like this, which someone evidently wants 33 euros for. I got it for a pound. Bukem played it on his essential mix, and pretty much every time I saw Fabio that year (which was a lot), he played it too. That said, I don't recall him being that big, and I only remember that tune.

Timely query, actually, 'cos it seems his back catalogue is being re-released.

http://www.discogs.com/release/1283097

DJ PIMP

Skanna did some dope tracks for sure... he wasn't massive but well known and Bukem and Groove etc played his tracks.

That sample, you're referring to the Papua New Guinea loop at the break?

Nebula II
Invisible Man DOPE
Intense - check out the original mix of The Quickening, still stands up
Earth Leakage Trip
DJ Mayhem
FBD Project

If only lightning struck twice...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Timely query, actually, 'cos it seems his back catalogue is being re-released.

http://www.discogs.com/release/1283097

http://sublogicrecordings.easywebstore.co.uk/

I really recommend picking this up, and all the other stuff Sublogic have repressed recently. It's all done with the co-operation of the original artists, and with the Skanna stuff at least, the original tapes have been dug up and everything has been remastered (though I suppose depending on your standpoint that may not be a good thing). It's pressed on really nice 180g vinyl too :) Definitely a cause worth supporting.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Skanna did some dope tracks for sure... he wasn't massive but well known and Bukem and Groove etc played his tracks.

That sample, you're referring to the Papua New Guinea loop at the break?

Nebula II
Invisible Man DOPE
Intense - check out the original mix of The Quickening, still stands up
Earth Leakage Trip
DJ Mayhem
FBD Project

Yeah, I'm familiar with pretty much all that stuff, but thanks for the recommendations. That sound/era has been so well-mined/documented that I wasn't really expecting anything new. I'm a big fan of Basement Records - halfway between proto-darkside & like Spiral Tribe style hard/acid techno - and an even bigger fan of all the classic Kickin Records stuff. I don't know if I should be a little embarrassed to admit this, but "Thunderdome" by Messiah is one of my favorite songs ever, in any genre. when I was growing up I had a friend whose older brother who was heavily into techno & jungle (a rarity in mid-90s Chicago) and he made me a couple of tapes. I've long since lost them but I remember being fairly blown away as 10 year old by "Thunderdome". I'm trying to remember what the hell else was on those tapes - I think there was some early Aphex, "Didgeridoo" or something off SAW 85-92, and maybe Rufige Kru.

thanks also for the responses. "respective but not massive" was about what I'd expected. just one of those things I guess, b/c his tunes are among the best I've discovered. I was just curious. it's great to hear that his back catalogue is being going to be reissued, especially properly, and I'll definitely be looking into it.

also, I can't believe I didn't realize that sample was the Dead Can Dance vocal loop from "Papua New Guinea".

D

droid

http://sublogicrecordings.easywebstore.co.uk/

I really recommend picking this up, and all the other stuff Sublogic have repressed recently. It's all done with the co-operation of the original artists, and with the Skanna stuff at least, the original tapes have been dug up and everything has been remastered (though I suppose depending on your standpoint that may not be a good thing). It's pressed on really nice 180g vinyl too :) Definitely a cause worth supporting.

Yep - big up sublogic - and can people please pre-order the invisible man stuff? Im sick of waiting for my copy. :D