Classical samples in hardcore (+ others)

Tanadan

likes things
As noel emits suggested in the 'bankruptcy of nuum' thread, I'm gonna start a seperate thread about classical music being sampled in hardcore, and more generally dance.

I'm a young 'un and only got into dance music with dubstep/grime/minimal/etc, and in those genres I always wondered why producers seemed willing to sample any genre under the sun - metal, bollywood, obscure 60s soul, african field recordings - but not classical. What's out there?

In the 'London Classics' thread, I think blissblogger posted one already, during the intro of Bodysnatch - Euphony (Just 4 U London).

Last edited:
D

droid

These guys were probably hardcores most well known classical plunderers:

Acen Trip to the moon Pt.1 (John Barry sample from Moonraker)

Part 2 has an even better Bond Sample! They also sampled Morricone on that EP.

Hardcore/rave producers tended to sample stuff that was easily obtainable or floating around at the time - so most tunes that do have classical samples tend to come from film or TV.

Only other thing I can think of offhand is a shit white label that ripped the theme to black beauty!

michael

Bring out the vacuum
If you like minimal, you could try Murcof's first album, 'Martes'. Lots of samples of contemporary classical music with clicky doof doof beats.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Aphex's 'Entrance To Exit' uses an opera sample to great effect. Dunno which where it's from, but it sounds like Wagner or something, really bombastic OTT female vocals. :D

Edit: a quick Google suggests (tentatively) that it may be from Handels 'Messiah'.

D

droid

Aphex's 'Entrance To Exit' uses an opera sample to great effect. Dunno which where it's from, but it sounds like Wagner or something, really bombastic OTT female vocals. :D

Edit: a quick Google suggests (tentatively) that it may be from Handels 'Messiah'.

That reminds me, there was a hardcore tune that sampled 'Ride of the Valkyries', and also at least one that sampled the main theme from The Omen (and its not 'The Omen' By Beltram).

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
Clasical Samples have also been used in Grime.Mr Slash is notable for his use of classical strings:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

There was also much speculation about where the sample used in Singalong by Crazy Titch came from.I never did hear of a definitive answer.Anyone?:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

woops

is not like other people
my 2 bits

Erm fair enough and I feel I'm splitting hairs, hasn't stopped me in the past - that's orchestral music, jazz maybe, soundtracks if you like, I wouldn't have said it was classical though.

Isn't it euro techno (possibly extra-"continuum", others know this stuff) sampling OLD classical and opera that really answers the question?

Alfons

Way of the future
dom & roland used quite a bit of classical samples
trauma
city
thunder

all samples from movie soundtracks I think, City of Lost Children and Alien Resurection.

oh and you cant forget tiesto and Adagio for strings... :eek:

vimothy

yurp
Happy Hardcore Braveheart remix

:rolleyes::mad::eek:

Erm fair enough and I feel I'm splitting hairs, hasn't stopped me in the past - that's orchestral music, jazz maybe, soundtracks if you like, I wouldn't have said it was classical though.

Oh yeah

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Yeah - Trip To The Moon was one of first things that came to mind but then I thought that John Barry's Bond music isn't really Classical.

D

droid

Yeah. As I said most of this stuff is from film or TV, so that qualification invalidates about 95% of tunes.

Also, a lot of grime (and jungle) used soundbanks or plugins to generate their orchestral sounds, so thats all out too.