georgia/russia: war?

swears

preppy-kei
So expect plenty of calls for restraint and ceasefire from the West, but don't expect much else - after all America needs Russian co-operation on more pressing issues like North Korea and other members of the Western alliance like Germany will hardly be anxious for a confrontation with a country that supplies much of their energy needs.

Kinda hoping this is true....

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You can rest easy, there's no way the US or the EU are getting directly involved (for a while, at least). More interesting question is to what extent Russia is using both overt and covert means to re-exert influence over its old backyard.

That 'cyber attack' on Estonia a year or two ago was pretty shocking.

crackerjack

That 'cyber attack' on Estonia a year or two ago was pretty shocking.

Yeah, Putin obviously enjoyed that joke so much he's telling it again.

Now the Kremlin is reacting strongly. Russian warplanes are reportedly striking targets in Georgia. Reinforcements are pouring in. And the Kremlin's mighty propaganda machine is lumbering into action while a cyber-attack appears to have crippled Georgia's websites.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Basically Russia can do what they want to Georgia and no-one is going to dare trying to do anything about it in case they get some of the same. Nothing changes and the more powerful countries do what they want when they want regardless of international law which they pay lip service to purely when it suits them (see also the US executing that Mexican guy last week despite the International Court of Justice decreeing it illegal).

D

droid

As many commentators have pointed out, this is obviously a warning to the West that Russia is not going to allow itself to be completely encircled by NATO and threatened by the US's proposed missile 'defense' system.

Its lucky Georgia haven't joined up yet, or we'd be looking at a potentially much more serious conflict.

crackerjack

As many commentators have pointed out, this is obviously a warning to the West that Russia is not going to allow itself to be completely encircled by NATO and threatened by the US's proposed missile 'defense' system.

Its lucky Georgia haven't joined up yet, or we'd be looking at a potentially much more serious conflict.

You think Russia would've gone ahead with the bombing if Georgia was a NATO member? Membership requires (I think) the rest of NATO to some to the aid of those under attack. Even with an overstretched US, that would be quite a step for a belligerent Russia.

IdleRich

IdleRich
From what I've read the Georgian hot-headedness is likely to count against them in terms of joining Nato. However you look at it it doesn't seem that they made a good move.

crackerjack

From what I've read the Georgian hot-headedness is likely to count against them in terms of joining Nato. However you look at it it doesn't seem that they made a good move.

The Pres sounds like a tactical idiot. He could've reacted to the provocation by sending troops to reclaim control, instead he went for an indiscriminate bombing campaign. With enemies like him, Putin doesn't need any friends.

D

droid

You think Russia would've gone ahead with the bombing if Georgia was a NATO member? Membership requires (I think) the rest of NATO to some to the aid of those under attack. Even with an overstretched US, that would be quite a step for a belligerent Russia.

It would indeed, but they have already threatened military action after the plans to place radar systems in the Czech Republic was announced. And despite the absurd rhetoric, the US missile defense system is designed to impede a Russian retaliatory strike, which effectively makes it a first strike weapon, so 'defensive' could easily be substituted for 'belligerent'. Imagine the US reaction if Russia installed such a system in Canada...

You fire batteries of unguided rockets into what is de facto Russian territory, you will have the Russians kicking in your door shortly after. Asymmetric warfare cuts both ways - the game Russia is playing lately means they are the only party who can even imagine winning.

If the whole of the rest of the world went to shit in an armageddon of oil, water and religious wars, Russia could quite happily sit it out for a generation inside their vast well-resourced, homogenous country and march in afterwards.

Anyone else seen the rumours flying about that some of the Georgian tankers found in S.Ossetia were black (ie before they were incinerated) and had US insignia? Most likely bollocks, but would you put it past the current administration to make war by proxy against Russia, via mercenaries, advisers?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If the whole of the rest of the world went to shit in an armageddon of oil, water and religious wars, Russia could quite happily sit it out for a generation inside their vast well-resourced, homogenous country and march in afterwards.

There's no few Chechens who'd take issue with your use of 'homogenous' there, I reckon.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"but would you put it past the current administration to make war by proxy against Russia, via mercenaries, advisers?"
I don't think I'd put it past them in terms of morality but I don't really see what they could hope to gain by doing this. Not to mention how embarrassing it would be if they were caught - I mean, why on earth would they have US insignia, I'm no expert but surely the first thing to do if you are fighting a war that your country isn't supposed to be involved in is get rid of that?

crackerjack

Anyone else seen the rumours flying about that some of the Georgian tankers found in S.Ossetia were black (ie before they were incinerated) and had US insignia? Most likely bollocks, but would you put it past the current administration to make war by proxy against Russia, via mercenaries, advisers?

In the current climate, yes I would. What are the odds of any conflict anywhere occurring without rumours flying around the internet that it was the US wot done it?

crackerjack

I don't think I'd put it past them in terms of morality but I don't really see what they could hope to gain by doing this. Not to mention how embarrassing it would be if they were caught - I mean, why on earth would they have US insignia, I'm no expert but surely the first thing to do if you are fighting a war that your country isn't supposed to be involved in is get rid of that?

Ha, quite. Not to mention that the US is already woefully overexposed in a part of the world where the Russians are quite capable of creating shit for them to swim in.

D

droid

I don't think I'd put it past them in terms of morality but I don't really see what they could hope to gain by doing this.

Yeah. It would actually be the Russian who would have most to gain from it.