L'Oeuvre Musicale - Bernard Parmegiani

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Anyone else got this box set? I've only played three discs so far but they're worth the price alone. Stunning.

If you know the work, got any other recommendations?

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
am waiting incredibly impatiently for money but should have it in a week or so- am somewhat chomping at the bit to get my hands on this...

soundslike1981

Parmegiani is the big one, for me (maybe equaled only by Henry). . . but unfortunately that means I've already bought every CD reissue there's been, so I don't think there's much I don't already have. Still, looks like a fantastic product, and an incredible steal.

soundslike1981

Is he anything like Tod Dockstader? I like him very much...

At times, yes, but usually considerably more sophisticated, IMO. I love the 60s Dockstader, too. But from a time when most people still seem to have been mining electro-acoustic manipulation for raw materials, simply experimenting with sound for experimentations sake (though Dockstader is beyond that, mostly) Parmegiani seems to me to already have been executing highly emotional, highly sophisticated works. He has a mastery of tension, release, mood, pacing, texture, that I find in few others. Plus, while he's clearly building something over the ensuing decades of his oeuvre, and there remains a "Parmegiani sound," his works tend to be more individually recognisable than many of his peers.

If you like Dockstader, I'd say this would be as close to "life altering" as a purchase could be. And considering how much essential material you're getting, the outlay is paltry.

If you can track down any of the French "Henry _.0" box sets of Pierre Henry's work, you should do so. Henry can be perhaps more playful than Parmegiani (ie "Psyche Rock" type stuff--though Parmegiani's collage work shows me he's not afraid of "popular" music), but also equally subtle in his control of his medium.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
Dockstader also made a very successful move into digital technology with various things including the truly wonderful 3 volumes of Ariel (composed out of radio waves).

Once you've digested Parmegiani and Henry then you can point yourself to the Creel Pone thread round these parts and lose yourself for a good few years :D

zhao

there are no accidents
thanks for reminder to dig into this stuff... has seemed a bit of a chore to tell you the truth for past few months...