freerotation summer festival and dubstep tune ID

bassnation

the abyss
did anyone go to this? absolutely wicked little festival which managed to avoid the horrors of the big commercial operations (exploitative, oppressive security / police presence, shit music, hideous vibe, you know da koo).

i know ben ufo was going, but i didn't manage to find you mate!

anyway, was after some tune IDs, specifically the first song mala played which featured a beatless highly dramatic intro of a huge organ chord with intense subbass (reminded me of mbv chord of death!) in fact it killed the soundsystem which was quite funny.

also oliver ho's raudive set - the most twisted acid i've heard for some time. if anyones got the track listing for this, i'd be forever grateful.

m33k +i93r

TheUnridiculousBearMix
really wanted to but unforeseen circumstances got in the way.

its in a great big country mansion and its grounds, am i right?

elgato

I just dont know
damn man i wish i'd known you were going! would've been really nice to meet you. its a great festival! such a stunning location, the countryside is amazing out there. good vibes too, saturday especially

i flopped it horrifically on saturday though, went for a power-nap at 2 then next thing it was 6am :(

i have no idea what that tune Mala played was... crazy. i didn't think it was a dubstep-related thing but Ben was saying it was a transition plate! i would guess it was Mala in that case

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Yeah I was there, agree with all that has been said really.
Only off note of the weekend was my (admittedly ruined) mate getting taken to the side and berated by one of the organisers after pulling up one of Mala's tunes. Just a slight culture clash I guess, but it was a bit weird. His first tune was amazing, and I'm pretty sure it was a transition plate too, which really does only leave Mala I reckon.

Thought the music on Friday night was substantially better than the Saturday, but that may have been due to almost everyone crashing out early. The endless Portable saga more than made up for it though. I saw Ben UFO and Kev, and it was good to meet you elgato, I can only hope it's repeated next year.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Nah that was the one that pulled up later, it's fairly ridiculous too. This first one was JUST organ and sub. What's the name of that one?

bassnation

the abyss
damn man i wish i'd known you were going! would've been really nice to meet you. its a great festival! such a stunning location, the countryside is amazing out there. good vibes too, saturday especially

likewise! i didn't know you were going, i knew ben was planning it. i thought i saw someone who looked a bit like his facebook profile and said "are you ben?". he said "no, i've got a friend called ben though" (like several million other people). had a long random chat, but not any closer to a dissensus meetup.

if it helps, i was one of the oldies, either dancing like a loon (friday) or monging out on the inflatable sofas (saturday). heres some pics of us, for some reason most are me and friends gurning in the hotel room with a few of the actual rave:
http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=51080&l=ec4f1&id=660102639

i was the same on saturday, tried to carry on through the entire thing, but not as young as i used to be, and passed out sat night til 2am, missing shackleton.

i have no idea what that tune Mala played was... crazy. i didn't think it was a dubstep-related thing but Ben was saying it was a transition plate! i would guess it was Mala in that case

yeah, it was amazing. i know people say dubstep is not e music, but that intro - jeez. it was so powerful. the noises were such a contrast from all the house and techno. got to find it. some people moaned, but the old heads like me and my mates who are used to jah shaka, well the pace is not so alien. brilliant stuff.

and re. a certain dj saga. well, sat nite i was lying in bed tripping out and a random dj comes walking into the room and just gets into bed with me. i was a bit freaked out and jumped out of bed quick as a shot. i said "this isn't your room mate". he goes "urrrggghhh mushrooms" and just passed out. so we left him there cos i felt sorry for him and chucked him out about sevenish. had to show him the door as initially he was trying to get into the toliet cupboard. not naming names tho!

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
likewise! i didn't know you were going, i knew ben was planning it. i thought i saw someone who looked a bit like his facebook profile and said "are you ben?". he said "no, i've got a friend called ben though" (like several million other people). had a long random chat, but not any closer to a dissensus meetup.

next time eh :)

it was funny how much that Mala track split the crowd! seemed like his set went down quite well though, a fair few people seemed to be really into it. a few of my uninitiated mates found it a bit intense though. friday was rowdy, people were wanting a rinseout i guess.

and re. a certain dj saga. well, sat nite i was lying in bed tripping out and a random dj comes walking into the room and just gets into bed with me. i was a bit freaked out and jumped out of bed quick as a shot. i said "this isn't your room mate". he goes "urrrggghhh mushrooms" and just passed out. so we left him there cos i felt sorry for him and chucked him out about sevenish. had to show him the door as initially he was trying to get into the toliet cupboard. not naming names tho!

soooo funny. i wonder if anyone at the festival went untouched by such glory

oblioblioblio

Wild Horses
soooo funny. i wonder if anyone at the festival went untouched by such glory

unlikely I think. kind of funny but a little terrifying in the very early hours.

fuck though. what an amazing weekend. smiling faces everywhere. beautiful location, great music.

it's well worth checking out the music & art of some of the orgnanisers actually... steevio and suzybee... http://www.mindtours.co.uk/home1.htm

I don't think they've been overly fussy about advertising themselves everywhere which is a shame in some ways as their arts are really amazing.

steevio makes unclassifyable electronic music. somewhere between dub, jazz broken beat and techno. unique & forward thinking. my personal faves are the rogue patterns series and the beyondness ep. and suzybee does paintings and visuals. I think there was a problem with her setup on saturday but she did some visuals in room 2 on friday which were beautiful. the first time I've come up from watching a screen actually.

can't wait for the next one!

bassnation

the abyss
unlikely I think. kind of funny but a little terrifying in the very early hours.

that was far from the only story i heard, yep some bad behaviour going on with certain quarters (and notably a bunch of mates i will refer to only as the ghb krew - i think you'll know exactly who i mean). was looking out my room window 6am sat morning watching some bizarre shit going on outside.

oblioblioblio

Wild Horses
heheh, nicer to have the luxury of your own room to keep out of it (well, actually having said that...) hmm that was about the time that I was cornered. probably slightly funny to watch from a distance.

it's a shame that this talk is dominating some of the post party communication. it was slightly unusual but I didn't see the dark side of it so much. with one person in particular, definitely I thought there was an innocent naivity to it... a friendlier amd more accidental sex pest, as much of a contradiction that is.

the main thing about the actual weekend for me was to have such an open platform for party based shenanigans.

the intimacy of it meant that anyone you talk shit to you're gonna bump into many times. rather than a massive hanger based rave where you share a connection with someone and then *poof* you dissappear into the ether. the comfort factor of the location gave you options that you wouldn't have in other places (showers, swimming pool, your own room). the crowd being drawn from word of mouth meant a friednlier atmosphere. and the hand picked musical and visual selections meant that there were always quality vibrations to occupy the senses.

gah, so many reasons. I hope that this kind of party springs up in many other places cos it really seems to be a wonderful solution to the 21st century gathering conundrum.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
I loved it, had a really great weekend :) sorry marc, I did look out for you! all I could remember from your facebook profile was "beard", which wasn't that helpful :D

re: that opening mala tune, I reckon it must've been one of his. I initially thought he was doing a DMZ and opening with something that'd influenced him, but it was a transition dub so..

was more or less the only part of the weekend where I could indulge the trainspotter in me, and that's a really positive thing!

portable, lakuti, shackleton and move d were my highlights, all brilliant

big up the rubber tree also

Last edited: