What is it?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Can't see a thread about this so has anyone seen this film (and/or the sequel)?

http://www.crispinglover.com/whatisit.htm

"It's unlike anything I've ever seen before...the unrestrained id of an artist at full frenzy, unafraid to mount onscreen what others would judiciously edit out. Glover's film is like that of the fever dream of a crazy person."
Looks as though it ought to be interesting anyway but hard to see if you don't live in the US. Anyone know if it's actually available to get in any form?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I tried to get him over for a while to no avail, I think he has to be present at all of the screenings, that's the deal. I'd write to him, or start a petition! I badly want to see it. I know so many girls who want to marry him, a screening would be rammed.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I tried to get him over for a while to no avail, I think he has to be present at all of the screenings, that's the deal."
That's how I understand it. I believe that there was a showing in Dublin or something but that's still too far for me. There are various clips on youtube (and of the sequel too) - I just wondered if some evil unscrupulous bastard might have managed to get a copy of the whole thing from somewhere.

And is this bit on IMDB true or a joke in itself (or just a particularly vicious review)?

Flat out the funniest spoof of pretentious art house films ever made.
This flick exposes all the clichés, and then some! Excruciatingly bad (Downs-Syndrome!) actors. Terribly heavy self important dialog. Scenes that are supposed to shock but fall flat. Jarring editing. Pointless plot points. All wrapped up in a kind of smirky miasma of disrespect for the audience and vague psych-drivel.
It achieves exactly what it was designed to. A hilarious satire of those tedious movies made by spoiled teenage trust-funders, to show to their parents when they ask them what they've been doing for the last two years! After "What Is It?" received its Cannes award, presenter Werner Herzog was rumored to have been told that the film was in fact a spoof, in part of his own films! He supposedly blew up at the info. To this day he refuses to discuss the incident.
Anyway, see it and laugh, this will be a classic of humor for many years to come.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118141/

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
True about the DS kids, I'd not read the Herzog stuff though, I would happily pay to go Back to the Future to be a fly on the wall at that though, it'd be impossible not to try to wind up old Werner if you met him I reckon.

I can't really read what Glover is all about, other than a Romantic, y'know? I'm glad he exists in context but out of it I'm not sure how far he extends, I guess he probably knows that too, hence the reigning in of the work, he's kinda like Eminem for geeks.

This is so staggeringly bad even i couldn't sit through it. Gauche isn't the word. it circulates very freely on p2p, not hard to get hold of at all.

I can't really read what Glover is all about, other than a Romantic, y'know? .

pure self aggrandisement. he's just completely wrapped up in his own image, as there's nothing underneath.

So not a spoof then?

in the context of "what he does", i didn't read it that way, i don't know, his whole act is so massively contrived it's impossible to second guess any satirical intent. if there is any i'm not sure what the target would be.

Cool, I will find it.

it's on KG tho iirc i got it off a blog someone had posted it on. nail yourself to a chair with forks, staple your eyelids open and watch it as the opening half of a double bill with the Wizard of Gore remake

IdleRich

IdleRich
"in the context of "what he does", i didn't read it that way, i don't know, his whole act is so massively contrived it's impossible to second guess any satirical intent. if there is any i'm not sure what the target would be."
Fair enough, I was suspicious of that review anyway.

"nail yourself to a chair with forks, staple your eyelids open and watch it"
I always like to make myself comfortable when I sit down to watch a film.

"the Wizard of Gore remake"
There's a remake? Seriously? When will they do Gore Gore Girls, surely Lewis' masterpiece?