Plasticman @ FWD?

Red Rooster

Ok, confused again!

So Plasticman is a grime DJ.....

Isn't FWD a big dubstep rave?

Does Plasticman change his sets to suit the FWD crowd or does he play grime in there too?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Plasticman plays his own sound of music.

Much like when you listen to a Karnage set you are going to get 80% "eski" and the remaining 20% being made up of various other big tunes of the moment.

Plasticman plays a sound which veers much closer to the dubstep sound than the Eski sound, yet he was playing Ice Pole remix on dub and battering it. He also made Be There Or Be Square. So obviously he has a liking for the "Eski" influenced sound as well.

I think it is healthy that DJ's in this music have their own distinct styles and sounds. Makes it much more worthwhile going out to see them when they aren't playing to suit a crowd or playing the same cookie-cutter selection á la 2002 "Underground Garage" sets

Poet for Hire

the next forward looks like an interesting one, because all the djs, plasticman, wonder and kode9, judging by recent sets on rinse etc., and drifting somewhere between grime and dubstep in a way that makes the distinction, at least in terms of the music (as opposed to mc'ing or lack of), irrelevant

mpc

wasteman
At FWD, it isn't just all digital mystikz and loefah. The night's much more focused on the production side rather than vocal stuff.

Plasticman (from the sets i've witnessed) plays the harsher side of "dubstep" (eg. toasty - the knowledge) and lots of instrumental grime.

Poet for Hire

stelfox
that actually the opposite of what i was trying to say, in other words people complaining about the naming of the rephlex comps kind of misses the point of how the instrumental side of the music is developing

thats forums for ya

Red Rooster

I would class Plasticman as grime personally.

His sound is much more lively than dubstep (like grime) but it is just more interesting to listen to than most instrumental grime tracks.

However as a DJ i think he plays a lot more Wiley etc. than he does his own stuff so it will be interesting to hear him play @ FWD.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
ukbass said:
stelfox
that actually the opposite of what i was trying to say, in other words people complaining about the naming of the rephlex comps kind of misses the point of how the instrumental side of the music is developing

thats forums for ya

i wasn't replying to you!

Red Rooster said:
I would class Plasticman as grime personally.

His sound is much more lively than dubstep (like grime) but it is just more interesting to listen to than most instrumental grime tracks.

However as a DJ i think he plays a lot more Wiley etc. than he does his own stuff so it will be interesting to hear him play @ FWD.

and whether you would or not doesn't make it correct. he isn't.
(this is not to deny that there's some crossover in the venn diagrams of dubstep, what plasticman and kode9 are doing and grime)
plasticman is also a fwd regular, so it's not as if this is some new development or anything.

Red Rooster

Listen to Horsepower or Digital Mystikz - they're dubstep apparently.

I can find no similarities between these and plasticman.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
stelfox said:
and whether you would or not doesn't make it correct. he isn't.
(this is not to deny that there's some crossover in the venn diagrams of dubstep, what plasticman and kode9 are doing and grime)
plasticman is also a fwd regular, so it's not as if this is some new development or anything.

http://www.rwdmag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=352642&highlight=grime#352642

Plasticman said:
I think I'd class my stuff as grime. People can MC over it if they like, sometimes I make faster ones for the dancefloor but it's always a grime concept.

If we try to pigeon hole it too much it'll get silly.

The only reason my beats might sound more complicated to some people is because I add things at the end of the production that others might not add - just to give it a bit of an edge when played on it's own without mc's.

If I was making a beat specifically for vocals I'd strip it right down.

I think a lot of people will be surprised when the album drops next year.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Forward is a club not a style of music.

People who play there play a variety of the darker garage hybrids.

yes dubstep gets played, and was broken there, but people also play breaks-, broken beat- and grime-influenced garage.

Plasticman's a grime DJ/producer, he's said so many times, and he's DJed at Forward for many years now.

if people are confused, why don't they come down and have a listen?

orson

Blackdown said:
Forward is a club not a style of music.

People who play there play a variety of the darker garage hybrids.

yes dubstep gets played, and was broken there, but people also play breaks-, broken beat- and grime-influenced garage.

Plasticman's a grime DJ/producer, he's said so many times, and he's DJed at Forward for many years now.

if people are confused, why don't they come down and have a listen?

word !!
i dont get why peepz get so stuck with this whole name tagging ..... !!!

orson

i think plasticman should take it as a compliment that poeple cant pin him down to any particular style ..