Talk Talk

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
Well, totally blitzed at home, watching Kenneth Anger and thinking about Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock- 2 of the greatest hurrahs for rock with Daydream Nation, MBV and the unsurpassable Disco Inferno- major props- what dy'all say?

Where did Mark Hollis go...?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Spirit of Eden is terrific, but I reckon Mark Hollis's solo album is even better!

Apparently Hollis became a born again christian or something, and he aged really badly, he
looks like the kind of bloke who works for some local English city council!

stevied

Yes, the MH solo album is great. I`ve just bought another copy as I`m currently separated from my cd collection. Not something I make a habit of doing, but I really wanted to hear it as I made the mistake of not bringing it with me.

Here`s a Guardian piece on TT

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/04/mark_hollis.html

Not insightful, but has some info and anecdotes. Apparently, TT were ahead of their time predating Radiohead and the bloody Verve! Maybe the comments after the piece say what MH is doing now

zhao

there are no accidents
that one O'rang album was pretty sick. but the instrumental version of that song on that Toop curated major label Isolationism Ambient Sampler CD is much better than the album version, which if i remember correctly has vocals which kind of ruin it.

anyone know what im on or am i just jabbering to the winds?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Yes, the MH solo album is great. I`ve just bought another copy as I`m currently separated from my cd collection. Not something I make a habit of doing, but I really wanted to hear it as I made the mistake of not bringing it with me.

Here`s a Guardian piece on TT

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/04/mark_hollis.html

Not insightful, but has some info and anecdotes. Apparently, TT were ahead of their time predating Radiohead and the bloody Verve! Maybe the comments after the piece say what MH is doing now

Yeah interesting that, TT really got that post-Eno pre-post-rock Euro sound, shame they're not getting millions of dollars and marrying American actresses and buying mansions in the midlands like the other fuckers that ran with their shtick..Bah, now Eno produced Cockplay, I mean Coldplay, I guess he's gotta send the kids to University and stuff!

I remember when SPiRiT OF EDEN came out, it was still reeasonably commercial, but it was a big re-invention for TT who were this kinda semi-commercial post-new wave band like Prefab Sprout and Tears for Fears..'Life's what you make it' is a great song, great riff, surprised no-one's sampled it, but someone out there prolly already has!

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
Zhao, ur jabbering is inspired- the first O'rang album is indeed a wonderful thing and the Isolationism version is minus the ponderous ethic vocals altho i have to admit that i do really love that album.

Apparently Hollis has retired now though. I remember him being in tears about the remixes that EMI issued- such an interesting band, such interesting people- a rare case of integrity dominating somebody's life to the point that they quit the whole thing rather than compromise.

It was such an interesting journey too- from synth pop to out there- a totally naive development in turns of it not being knowing if you know what i mean.

Last edited:

soundslike1981

Such a shame that Hollis has withdrawn from making music. His solo album might best the two beloved Talk Talks; for me it does, after a decade.

Anyone seen confirmation that it was religion that prompted his withdrawal?

worrior

Such a shame that Hollis has withdrawn from making music. His solo album might best the two beloved Talk Talks; for me it does, after a decade.

that bit in your blogariddim where you put Mark Hollis A life (1895-1915) over some sticky outdoor ambient noise is just incredible. I can't listen to that track now without hearing insects.

soundslike1981

that bit in your blogariddim where you put Mark Hollis A life (1895-1915) over some sticky outdoor ambient noise is just incredible. I can't listen to that track now without hearing insects.

That was some serious synergy, yeah--the crickets or cicadas or whatever even slow down their rate of noise just when the song shifts tempo, loved discovering that.

Transpontine

history is made at night
Apparently Hollis became a born again christian or something, and he aged really badly, he looks like the kind of bloke who works for some local English city council!

Well some of us who work for English city councils like to think we still cut a fine figure of proletarian dandyism.

zhao

there are no accidents
Zhao, ur jabbering is inspired- the first O'rang album is indeed a wonderful thing and the Isolationism version is minus the ponderous ethic vocals altho i have to admit that i do really love that album.

Apparently Hollis has retired now though. I remember him being in tears about the remixes that EMI issued- such an interesting band, such interesting people- a rare case of integrity dominating somebody's life to the point that they quit the whole thing rather than compromise.

It was such an interesting journey too- from synth pop to out there- a totally naive development in turns of it not being knowing if you know what i mean.

if you have that Isolationism version would you mind z-sharing it... jonny mugwump?