I'm gonna be in New York (again!) from the 18th to the 26th March, what's going on?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Looking for good things to check out on a hip-hop/ragga/anything interesting sorta tip - recommendations most welcome.
Am also happy to DJ if there are any opportunities - best suited to nights that can handle a lot of dancehall.
Needless to say if anyone fancies a beer or a trip up the the VP shop etc I'm in, too.

ripley

I'm coming into town that night as well, looking for gigs, Kid Kameleon may be coming that weekend as well, I'll keep you posted on that...

And I'm playing at Bunker on the following Friday (the 25th), with Dj C, so don't miss that night for sure.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
haha! coincidentally and utterly unexpectedly, i just got asked if i wanted to do a spot on at the same night, on the 25th. so... um... yeah, probably see you there!

polystyle

Feb. 20 Grime

Hey Stelfox
Da Blissblogger has notice up about the Supreme Trading thing on Sunday night in W'burg
with Cameo and host of others .
Free admission too

dominic

Beast of Burden
If you're playing the Bunker, which I believe is the party held at Subtonic (Norfolk b/w Delancey & Rivington), you'll be right around the corner from (1) Rothko, the grime night on Suffolk b/w Delancey & Rivington, and a hop skip jump away from (2) Lotus, the dancehall reggae night on Clinton/Stanton . . . . And that's all on Friday night

Other nights to check out:

(1) NuBlu on Tuesdays -- Ave C b/w 4th & 5th, look for the blue light -- This is where Kudu, the BEST act in NYC in my opinion, plays -- check the link at www.kudu2u.com for sound bites -- utterly poptastic with wicked demon drumming -- and the djs before and after their sets are Kingston/Port-au-Prince vibe, though they're perhaps in too much of a broken beat/house/rock/reggae vein for your taste

(2) Greg Poole is doing a Sunday night party at Supreme Trading, 213 N. 8th, in W'burg -- not sure if this is a one-off or a regular night, however . . . . but Greg went from Shelter-style deep house to jungle to 2-step and now a touch of grime, and he also likes to play old-school funk . . . . and he's a big Kelis fan . . . . He also travels to London & Dublin on a regular basis, so he'd probably be a good person for you to meet

(3) NuBlu on Sundays -- not nearly as essential as Tuesdays, but notable for Brazilian Girls, a band that's starting to get big, they're Carribean/Brazilian rhythms fronted by a sexy girl from Germany -- and then the dj who plays nothing but squelchy minimal techno (think bleep'n'bass w/o the bass)-- i'm not a minimal techno fan, but he's probably the best i've heard in this vein, and he's an odd character, perhaps 6'5, crouched over the turntables, perhaps 45 or 50 years old, always wears sunglasses, never actually mixes, and every record sounds exactly the same, which makes it all slightly twisted

Last edited: