Dogma 08 (for djs)

zhao

there are no accidents
with a goal of countering “certain tendencies” in the club today.

just like with Dogma 95 this is surely not for most, but should not be viewed as any kind of diss to people who choose not to adopt these vows, nor is it any kind of silly value judgement concerning "underground" being superior to top 40. and of course like the films Dogme directors make: some will strictly adhere, some will partially, and some completely outside the parameter - i am not suggesting anyone SHOULD adopt these rules, but just providing a guideline opposed to laziness and complacency. the desired result is of course maximizing fun and party and intrigue and inspiration...

goes without saying some of it has plenty of room for subjective interpretation.

THE VOWS OF CHASTITY

1. no selection which has been used by another dj *that you know of* in live or studio mixing.

2. no selection which *you think* the majority of the audience knows well in live or studio mixing.

3. no dj tools except as transition between non-tool tracks, (hallo techno djs).

4. avoid arbitrary fucking with the EQ, track volumes, cross fader, etc., for pure effect if it doesn't enhance the material. (same goes for chaos pads, etc.)

5. use repetition and monotony as means toward an end, and not out of default laziness.

6. when possible, make best use of the inate human tendency to recognize/imagine patterns, instead of beating people's heads with a giant kick drum ALL of the time.

7. if Electro-Rock Stadium-Techno Big-Room-Nu-Rave Anthems are an integral part of your project, fine, but do not play it all night. in fact,

8. do not play ANY ONE THING all night. selection should not be restricted to genre definitions, but guided by what feels right, and what works the best together to build the feeling you want in the over-all composition.

9. all mashups must sound BETTER than, or at least become more meaningful than the original songs.

10. no unnecessary edits when making remixes if the original material does not require or is enhanced by it.

11. no excessive use of arpeggios as lazy way to fill space or create excitement-by-numbers in an otherwise boring as shit set.

12. there must be a chunk of at least 9 seconds of silence somewhere in the middle of a live experience.

13. in production, track must sound good at fairly low levels of sound engineering, and all subsequent microedits and polish must only enhance what is already there.

anything to add?

Last edited:

wascal

Wild Horses
11. Disregard all concept of rules and party like its your last day on earth :confused:

Last edited:

doom

Public Housing
8. do not play ANY ONE THING all night. selection should not be restricted to genre definitions, but guided by what feels right, and what works the best together to build the feeling you want and over-all composition.

I will pay the cover (and buy a drink) for any & all DJs/Promoters that adopt this!!!

Cannot stand the same stuff played LOUD all night! zzzzzzzzz

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Stop listening to techno electronic music all the time, and it might sound better or worse when you get back to it.

Shonx

Shallow House
I was talking to a few people about doing a similar thing in electronic production after it occurred to me how many tunes would sound musically similar if you took away the particular sound design characteristics of a bass line say.

Did seem to me that plenty of movements have benefitted from using fairly low levels of sound engineering which made them more inventive with rhythms, melodies and feeling in general. I mean compare the variety of beats in old jungle to say modern dnb and a lot of that seemed to be from 808 subs and cut up breaks. Same thing with a lot of garage, fairly simple soundsets which allowed more invention in the beats.

I think plenty of producers would be revealed as musically retarded without all the microedits and polish that kind of distracts from the fact that their original idea wasn't enough to build a track around (although I think a lot of people think that is the music).

elgato

I just dont know
Did seem to me that plenty of movements have benefitted from using fairly low levels of sound engineering which made them more inventive with rhythms, melodies and feeling in general. I mean compare the variety of beats in old jungle to say modern dnb and a lot of that seemed to be from 808 subs and cut up breaks. Same thing with a lot of garage, fairly simple soundsets which allowed more invention in the beats.

hello Shonx! hope you are well mate :)

i agree on this, i also feel that the restrictions a producer has to impose on themselves in order to get big, dancefloor mixdowns can massively restrict the possibilities for arrangement

Last edited:
If we can include one for "don't play a CD burned from 128kbps CDs" as well, that'd be great. Went to some thing yesterday and got to hear a load of youtube rips, was one of the worst experiences of my life.

mms

sometimes
maybe add that you should try and play one vocal track at least an hour, even if your genre is usually vocal less.

zhao

there are no accidents

I think plenty of producers would be revealed as musically retarded without all the microedits and polish that kind of distracts from the fact that their original idea wasn't enough to build a track around (although I think a lot of people think that is the music).

man took words right outta me mouth. included at number 13.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
maybe add that you should try and play one vocal track at least an hour, even if your genre is usually vocal less.

would agree but only for djs... but then again some people are so good at doing all instrumental sets... kinda on the fence on this one. hmmm... do others think this should be added?

If we can include one for "don't play a CD burned from 128kbps CDs" as well, that'd be great. Went to some thing yesterday and got to hear a load of youtube rips, was one of the worst experiences of my life.

that's shocking. but goes without saying no?

i quite like an arpeggio used wrongly and/or excessively. i move this point is thrown out of the manifesto...

at what kind of parties do you like excessive arpeggios? psy-trance?? don't think i will take it out, but will revise along the lines of Straight's comment...

oh i know! mandatory costume changes ala elton john live yeah! :D