New Trends using Old Ideas - moving forward?

Shonx

Shallow House
Something that's been interesting me of late is how certain musical concepts from way back are being blended into newer styles and being heralded as progression when in fact the idea may be over ten years old.

So in dubstep say, we had the minimal techno element (early 90's or earlier), wonky (plenty of early-mid 90's hip hop, mid 90's chicago house) and a lot of more melodic, ambienty tunes which seemed to hark back to the mid-90's chill out/noodle sounds. A lot of producers in dnb seem to just be trying to continue where Photek left off before he got all Hollywood

In house there seems to be a resurgence in jackin tracks (chicago again), and old rave elements and funky does seem to have some obvious comparisons to old soca 2 step and broken beat (although I don't think anyone is heralding this as a move forward as yet). Even in the world of rock it seems quite a few bands are having dance producers remix their tunes (Madchester anyone?).

Personally I'm not that obsessed with music needing to be cutting edge to be good but at the same time is passing off old ideas as original a bit arch and just padding out time before something truly groundbreaking comes along, and doesn't this in a way just perpetuate people's ignorance of what went before so music continues to work in cycles of rediscovery/regurgitation.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
It's a good question. Sometimes you have to go back to go forward. All the musical forms you mention began as echoes of previous styles - so when modern stuff references Chicago house, it references a form that echoes disco etc. And so on and so forth. And all good musicians are thieves. (Now, if dubstep referenced chicago house...) I've always thought innovation and originality in music are pretty much irrelevant, a bit of a dead end.

BTW, I certainly think funky is a massive move forward - though forward from what is a moot point. I'd like to buy a lot more of it.

3 Body No Problem

BTW, I certainly think funky is a massive move forward - though forward from what is a moot point. I'd like to buy a lot more of it.

It seems to me that Funky is early/mid 90s Chicago/Berlin/Detroit techno with female vocals and some Carribean beats. I'm not complaining, but I can really feel these influences.

Shonx

Shallow House
I've always thought innovation and originality in music are pretty much irrelevant, a bit of a dead end.

Yeah, was thinking this listening to some fidget house stuff the other day and then realising that a lot of the sonic innovations generally came via drill n bass/breakcore. Allied up with a good groove and more of a pop/dancefloor sensibility it seems infinitely more enjoyable.

There's often some very good reasons why things haven't been done in music before. They're just not very good;)

Shonx

Shallow House
It seems to me that Funky is early/mid 90s Chicago/Berlin/Detroit techno with female vocals and some Carribean beats. I'm not complaining, but I can really feel these influences.

Yeah, I'd agree. I don't think it's that innovative (yet), but then I don't think that's really the point. It'd be innovative playing it through a toy megaphone and looping it in 9/16 time but it'd be shit, lets face it.

doom

Public Housing

funky is a classic example of moving forward by going back. Grime thru up so many un(der)explored tangents that its inevitable & totally necessary to go back, find those leads & (to an extent) start over. Not so much going over old ground as unfinished business.

DJ PIMP

Yeah, I'd agree. I don't think it's that innovative (yet), but then I don't think that's really the point.

I think thats exactly the point. UK musics (ukg, grime, jungle, etc) vigorously assert a point of difference, and funky doesn't.

Or doesn't appear to, at least to me.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Nah, funky is early 90s MAH-style, even Jaxx-style minimal samba house pitched up and massively simplified.

Which of course means that techno is in there manque.

Actually check out the Crazy Couzinz rinse show from a couple of weeks back where he plays a heap of blindingly good old techy, druggy house records at the start and even name checks rinse DJs who are playing the cream of minimal! (He still plays a stack of dullsville soft / directionless gear at the end which I didn't like, though maybe that's the funky version of lovers rock...)

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
UK musics (ukg, grime, jungle, etc) vigorously assert a point of difference, and funky doesn't.
Nah. UKG came from being like r'n'b and house, but using jungle sonics. No big vigourous assertion of difference. Grime was about doing hip hop within garage. Jungle was about dancehall and hardcore.

Wheras funky desperately wanted to be part of the UK house scene but was rejected, same as hardcore / jungle got rejected by house, same as grime got rejected by 2step. It's about being rejected, not asserting difference, IMO - and I think they're different.

doom

Public Housing
Nah, funky is early 90s MAH-style, even Jaxx-style minimal samba house pitched up and massively simplified.

Which of course means that techno is in there manque.

Actually check out the Crazy Couzinz rinse show from a couple of weeks back where he plays a heap of blindingly good old techy, druggy house records at the start and even name checks rinse DJs who are playing the cream of minimal! (He still plays a stack of dullsville soft / directionless gear at the end which I didn't like, though maybe that's the funky version of lovers rock...)

Well MAW is obv. a massive influence (looms large over all House music doesn't it) but I don't see how early (emo) grime needs to be discounted in favour of other things that are also at work. It is possible to like / be influenced by both.

I also don't see the point in trying to reduce something which in itself is so expansive in its outlook.

Will try & chk that Crazis show.. but my connect doesn't get on well with Rinse.

You may be right about 'the funky version of lovers rock...'

:cool:

Last edited:

DJ PIMP

Wheras funky desperately wanted to be part of the UK house scene but was rejected, same as hardcore / jungle got rejected by house, same as grime got rejected by 2step. It's about being rejected, not asserting difference, IMO - and I think they're different.
True true, good point.

I wrote a longer reply but I'm chatting pure breeze!

Never mind... :D

3 Body No Problem

Yeah, I'd agree. I don't think it's that innovative (yet), but then I don't think that's really the point. It'd be innovative playing it through a toy megaphone and looping it in 9/16 time but it'd be shit, lets face it.

Yeah. But there's no reason why you couldn't take it into a more progressive direction. Unlike all the instrument electronic music, Funky has two anchors: Vocal and instruments. You could leave one very conventional as an anchor, and go wild in the other dimension.

gremino

Moster Sirphine
About funky and innovation: At the end of the day, also dubstep wasn't that innovative at it's beginning. You could ask that what's so groundbreaking with dark garage - isn't it just 2step but darker?

However, we know how the sound evolved when time moved on.

Nah. UKG came from being like r'n'b and house, but using jungle sonics.

this is a really odd summation ga. how come you've written US garage out of the equation? these genre shifts are demographically led. jungle's original audience moved to garage, then some producers jumped ship, bringing their sound palette with them. just as some dnb producers have now moved to dubstep- i'm sure this partly accounts for the "aggressive" sound anathema to yr original dubstep headz

No big vigourous assertion of difference. Grime was about doing hip hop within garage. Jungle was about dancehall and hardcore.

house and hardcore became divergent for the same reasons as jungle and garage - the ladies and the men who spend money on them wanted something a little classier than an adrenal scrum. again, it's a demographic shift. same with funky and grime. should be noted that plenty of funky djs play US house and i don't buy that they ever sought much acceptance from the broader club house scene. the tempo shift allows a context for big crossover club records to be played but the audience is different.

in terms of this thread...precedents can be found for most things but the fact is people have a greater breadth of musical taste and awareness these days thanks to the internet. the shock of the new has to be contextual after all.

Also...on the subject of new money for old rope...the current grime/ electro house crossover club tunes really remind me of the awful euro rap/dance hybrids that blighted the 90s charts...Dr. Alban etc. i mean skepta's rolex sweep is about as camp as it gets. is anyone seriously feeling this stuff? it seems to carry the justificatory stamp of money makin'...beyond that it's surely indefensible

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Also...on the subject of new money for old rope...the current grime/ electro house crossover club tunes really remind me of the awful euro rap/dance hybrids that blighted the 90s charts...Dr. Alban etc. i mean skepta's rolex sweep is about as camp as it gets. is anyone seriously feeling this stuff? it seems to carry the justificatory stamp of money makin'...beyond that it's surely indefensible

to be sure pretty much all of the johnny-come-lately grime/ca. 2003 electro house tunes I've heard have pretty much been warmed over shite, but I have to stand up here for Wiley's original which kicked the whole trend off. "Wearing My Rolex" is another piece of unqualified Wiley brilliance. Thing is, half of its' greatness comes from the fact that it's Wiley - not in an "everything he touches automatically turns to gold" sense (though that also seems to be true - warning: I have been a massive Wiley stan for yrs) - more in the context of his personal/career arc; PAUG-Eskibeat-Roll Deep don-Juan Atkins to Dizzee's Derrick May-grizzled vet early 30s (grandap in grime yrs) who still drops mixtapes at an insane pace & argues w/14 yr olds on forums-etc. and then one day he gets up & thinks "Bad, outdated electro house + me warbling vaguely @ skeezing ladies in da club! That's the ticket!" like, what? sure, it has a big stupid pop hook, but still. it's not as if it was a guaranteed pop success.

in the larger context of new trends mixed w/old ideas it's a good example of what works/doesn't as well, I think. the grime/electro thing shamelessly mines an older sound, and rather vapidly at that, but Wiley's works b/c it comes off as sincere, or at least weird/awkward enough to not seem ruthlessly calculated, whereas, say, Skepta's forays almost uniformly come off as pandering (not that I'm criticizing him - I mean, whatever, let him get paid).

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I'm not discouting anything, especially us house, and definitely not grime. Can't cover everything in one post :). (oh and when I say "nah" I'm saying, "this is how I remember it happening at the time - it's an invitation to offer other perspectives!)

A thought on dubstep - has it evolved from being dark 2step garage, as in "progressed"? Or is it better the more it references its roots, especially the "roots of dubstep" / dj touch / el b stuff? In the same way as halfstep is better the more it references its instrumental, dubby, primal grime roots? (Mix of that coming when I can clear some time!)

the answer is probably no, though I think about this quite a bit. Where joker fits in - other than being near-genius-level dubstep/grime crossover outthereness I don't know...