Ron Geesin

Woebot

Does anyone know anything about him? Always been curious about this bloke, tend to think of him in the same breath as Basil Kirchin. Found this one very cheaply and its really nice (melodious/eccentric):

in the sixties he did some very dadaesque performances, with giggly goon show vocals and absract sped up banjo playing etc. I think he supported Pink Floyd, cos he was quite involved with them at the time. He featured on compilations with Pentagle etc
Got a strange album of his, can't remember title, with him holding a pop up book featuring him as the pop up.
Very English eccentric
His electronic albums for KPM are great
He did a gig recently, reviewed in the Wire, which looked like a riot

woops, my mistake
I knew he was Scottish
being a Welshman myself thats unforgivable
I did mean 'english eccentric' as a broad term for, y'know,
Lewis Carrol, the Goons, English Surrealism etc. etc

Yes, Geeson is one of those interesting characters. I think Music From the Body is his most 'famous' album, and came about after he worked with Pink Floyd on 'Atom Heart Mother' (after being recommended to the Floyd by John Peel). Ron has his own website which is pretty informative for discogs etc.

I don't have a great deal of his stuff, but here's a nice little tune for you, originally from the 'Atmospheres' album (KPM 1977), although I have it on the 'Electronic Toys' compilation. It's a lovely little thing that's pure 70's kid's show delight.

Ron Geeson - Jolly Pranks

xero

was minusone
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
It's a lovely little thing that's pure 70's kid's show delight.

I remember him appearing on kid's tv in the late eighties - he was demonstrating some sort of quirky sound-making apparatus or something. I wouldn't have known who he was under normal circumstances but his son danny was a schoolfriend of mine and when we first got talking I realised that I had seen his name before on that roger waters album. I went to their house a couple of times out in east sussex. He had a home studio & various barns full of interesting things. He seemed to be up to all sorts of different stuff but hadn't put out any recordings under his own name for a while. That piece in the wire a year or so ago surprised me because of the wealth of things he'd been involved with and I recognised the location of some of the photos of him as the barn where danny had held a party. I wish I'd heard about that gig in brighton before it happened, sounded amazing.

xero

was minusone
I also remember being particularly impressed at the time by the fact that he had a guitar that used to belong to pete townshend (hey, I was only 16) and having a strum on it. Looking over his discography on that site Nick posted I see that one of his albums was produced by townshend so it figures.

Originally Posted by Nick Gutterbreakz

It's a lovely little thing that's pure 70's kid's show delight.

I've got that atmospheres album, some really nice stuff on it. His other KPM albums are called
Electrosound 1 & 2. I've been meaning to put all this stuff on CD, but I need to get
CD recorder thing for transferring it all. When I do, if you want a copy..

If you like 70's kid show delight go here

www.ghostbox.co.uk

magic pendulum said:
I've got that atmospheres album, some really nice stuff on it. His other KPM albums are called
Electrosound 1 & 2. I've been meaning to put all this stuff on CD, but I need to get
CD recorder thing for transferring it all. When I do, if you want a copy..

Cor, not 'arf. Ta 4 the link, too :p

MiltonParker

hats off to geesin

there was a CD reissue of 1967's "A Raise of Eyebrows" & 1973's "As He Stands" in the mid 90's -- two similar albums of very fragmented multitracked madness, weird little instrumentals injected with him narrating, musing. it is a bit whimsical for me to make it all the way through too often. I really like the track "Upon Composition" though, that one gets dj'ed out a bit... still haven't heard "The Body" but the reviews I've read place it near my experience with these two albums....

just dragged the CD off the shelf and into the listening pile, time to check it out again actually.