Rick Wright RIP

DRMHCP

I can't believe no-one's mentioned the passing of Pink Floyd's Rick Wright on here...

This after all was a man who was a part of the group who were easily most favoured chill out soundtrack for anyone involved in the early Acid days and to be honest for many years after..."Echoes" for instance just about defining Spectrum/Land of Oz's Chill out room and its many successors in 88/89 (and being awash with his input).

As has been said the Floyd were the only group that had a following from everyone from 16 year old dopeheads in Liverpool to hard dance mentalists on a comedown to boring 50-something keepers of the rock canon...
To me although obviously not the songwriter he was almost as important as Syd Barrett to the very earliest Floyd with his distinctive keyboards meaning they were from the word go never just some boring rock band.

And then theres the influence of "A Saucerful of Secrets" (especially the title track)on early Krautrock basically the blueprint for a lot the earliest type of that music with Rick Wright having a massive influence on the title track's sound.

And thats before I even mention the amount of times various techno pioneers have mentioned Pink Floyd over the years (not far behind Kraftwerk/British synthpop as quoted influences). And "On The Run" largely Rick Wright's piece is about as un-rock as you got in 1972 and with its sequencing/samples still sounds pioneering now...

A bit like the pretty disappointing lack of tributes to Isaac Hayes on here recently...

Last edited:
To me although obviously not the songwriter he was almost as important as Syd Barrett to the very earliest Floyd

he wrote (and sang) Paintbox innit. tune

This after all was a man who was a part of the group who were easily most favoured chill out soundtrack for anyone involved in the early Acid days and to be honest for many years after...

sometimes i'm glad i wasn't around for those days. unless it was pipers ;)

A bit like the pretty disappointing lack of tributes to Isaac Hayes on here recently...

it's a disconnected world we're living in and if people do have a personal investment in an artist they might prefer to express that another way...this board doesn't strike me as the first place to expect a groundswell of emotion for Rick Wright. we've still got the music. i don't know if there's any need to be disappointed.

R.I.P.

crackerjack

whats the point of this response? norman white means fuck all to me, but i didn't feel it necessary to post that. after reading your message i changed my mind.

It was a response to his complaint about the lack of tributes to the floyd man and a further illustration of the lack of interest in obit threads in general. So why so angry?

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
RIP Rick Wright

and also Mauricio Kagel

fire.gif