Byrne & Eno - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today

michael

Bring out the vacuum
So there's a new David Byrne & Brian Eno album. Physical CDs aren't out yet, and only available via their website, which may be part of why there's not much talk of this.

Very much snuck up on me. It's by no means a follow up to 'My Life In the Bush of Ghosts', music-wise... just a bunch of Eno instrumentals he didn't know what to do with, and which Byrne sang on... Feels quite light, bit slight too... but it's growing on me.

Whole album streaming and a free download of one track (with email sign-up) at the album website.

http://www.everythingthathappens.com

I'm enjoying it more than anything either of them have got up to solo for a long while, but not as much as what they got up to around the time of 'Bush of Ghosts' and 'Remain In Light' and so on...

It's interesting looking at the orders page... Byrne's been quite a darling of e.g. Wired mag, talking up new options and approaches for getting music to punters... looks like he's trying some things out. Very much doing the down-home, "Hi it's David here" approach to the marketing.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
sadly neither of them have been very musically relevant for a long time and Brian Eno needs to stop trying to do art. Both are good speakers though.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yeah, was surprised to enjoy any of it. Maybe I approached it with sufficiently low expectations. Certainly not a great album, but thought it'd be of interest to some here.

It's being compared to things like Eno & Cale's 'Wrong Way Up', which is spectacularly dull, IMO... and that's close to 20 years old now.

Unlike K-Punk I like Byrne's voice, so that's not an issue for me. Don't think K-Punk's broader ponderings about Eno really add up - Eno's been doing a lot more than e.g. producing Coldplay... Just none of it much better.