Ambient

mms

sometimes
i was looking at this

http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=816&Itemid=27

and thinking that ambient music could be one of the most effective vehicles for music for music sake's survival in a world where music is essentially marketing driven, cross marketed and sold as a soundtrack for a product or a lifestyle in alot of ways, or seen as largely valueless.

It's like soundsystem culture or a gig, ie put people infront of some big speakers and drown out them talking, and it creates a kind of autonomous space, have them move their bodies in intelligent and inventive ways, in an experience that can't be recreated.
The same goes on a singular way for good ambient music, it's music that creates a rhythmless autonomus headspace for the listener over a period of time that's about a kind of projected interaction with the music, as largely it's lyricless, impressionistic the pieces are long, it doesn't easily fall into the kind of easily marketed catagories that other types of music does, although ironically it's background music. It's temporal and requires the listener to keep it playing, so it requires some kind of dedication from the listener that 3 minute pop songs dont.
s

I was thinking that the ambient music should be extended out to other uncatagorisable tapestry music or sound for sounds sake too, stuff like skaters, gang gang dance, that whole sunn 0))) area of metal post hardcore maniacs and raster noton stuff.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
ambient music could be one of the most effective vehicles for music for music sake's survival in a world where music is essentially marketing driven, cross marketed and sold as a soundtrack for a product or a lifestyle in alot of ways, or seen as largely valueless.

can of course also be used for all of those purposes you listed, not the least of which lifestyle soundtrack. aural anaesthetic for harsh sensations of urban living, sonic insulation against realities people don't want to face, opiate for the plugged-in masses.

i find it often useful for relaxation or concentration... undemanding sounds which non the less provide a point of focus, pushing other distractions to the (back) background.

true ambient music, for me, has no beat, no obviously discernable structure, repels attentive listening, constantly changing yet stays the same / unpredictable with no surprises. lower-case improv fits my definition better than most things labeled as "ambient" or chillout.

what irritates me is that shops and restaurants and other public places use top-40 radio to perform the function of ambient music. do these people not realize that pop-dance-R'n'B sounds totally SHIT at a low volume that no one is paying attention to?

mms

sometimes
can of course also be used for all of those purposes you listed, not the least of which lifestyle soundtrack. aural anaesthetic for harsh sensations of urban living, sonic insulation against realities people don't want to face, opiate for the plugged-in masses.

i find it often useful for relaxation or concentration... undemanding sounds which non the less provide a point of focus, pushing other distractions to the (back) background.

true ambient music, for me, has no beat, no obviously discernable structure, repels attentive listening, constantly changing yet stays the same / unpredictable with no surprises. lower-case improv fits my definition better than most things labeled as "ambient" or chillout.

what irritates me is that shops and restaurants and other public places use top-40 radio to perform the function of ambient music. do these people not realize that pop-dance-R'n'B sounds totally SHIT at a low volume that no one is paying attention to?

but a real kind of ambient music can shape or change the mood of a place, really change the atmosphere in a powerful way over time, i guess this also applies to some drone work, i guess i'm not really talking about chill out music i think there is a difference, i'm talking about music that's attempting to alter an environment thru sound, the sort of thng you describe as real ambient.

Also wouldn't ambient like early brian eno etc sound terribly out of place in a shop and not because of its age particualry, more because of its depth.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
not sure if i understand what you mean by this mms:

i'm kind of talking about the fonal stuff, sunburnt hand of the man, that kind of stuff, maybe even gang gang dance.
by tapestry music i guess music that has a quite improv based feeling with textures, ideas and musical styles interwoven.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
i'm kind of talking about the fonal stuff, sunburnt hand of the man, that kind of stuff, maybe even gang gang dance.
by tapestry music i guess music that has a quite improv based feeling with textures, ideas and musical styles interwoven.

so all of that should... be also included under the "ambient" moniker? kind of pointless no?

and i'm in favor of strict adherence of eno or satie's or who ever's original definition of "furniture music" which rewards "passive listening", as good to pay attention to as it is to ignore...

henry s

Street Fighting Man
but a real kind of ambient music can shape or change the mood of a place, really change the atmosphere in a powerful way over time, i guess this also applies to some drone work, i guess i'm not really talking about chill out music i think there is a difference, i'm talking about music that's attempting to alter an environment thru sound, the sort of thng you describe as real ambient.

why is it that I'm already thinking of ways the military can/will co-opt this idea (if they haven't done so already!)

Also wouldn't ambient like early brian eno etc sound terribly out of place in a shop and not because of its age particualry, more because of its depth.

I recall reading somewhere that Music For Airports got played over the sound system at some US airport (Pittsburgh, maybe?), and it really freaked out the fliers!