PDA

View Full Version : King Midas Sound

faustus
08-10-2008, 11:58 AM
http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=125160

nice cover art!

this 12" is predictably amazing, the dabrye remix especially. king midas sound album has the potential to be, like, the best thing in time. just hope it doesn't get delayed forever.

audiofelch
08-10-2008, 01:09 PM
been waiting for this to come out since it featured on that kode 9 sonar mix last year.

fantastic stuff.

Ory
08-10-2008, 01:22 PM
just hope it doesn't get delayed forever.

already has been. :eek: but yeah this album should be incredible.

john eden
08-10-2008, 01:37 PM
It's good to have things to look forward to.

It never ceases to amaze me how underrated the less abrasive tracks by The Bug are.

Sick Boy
08-10-2008, 01:49 PM
http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=125160

nice cover art!

this 12" is predictably amazing, the dabrye remix especially. king midas sound album has the potential to be, like, the best thing in time. just hope it doesn't get delayed forever.

Brilliant. Since Hyperdub moved on from putting out mostly Kode 9 material, it has become a really fantastic label with a much larger and more ambitious scope. Everything this label has released over the last year or so (with the exception of Ikonika's "Please" - nice enough tune, just not up to par) has been really great music that completely transcends the ever-drying cement of the dubstep mold.

Looking forward to the King Midas album, should be big.

crackerjack
08-10-2008, 01:59 PM
That Cool Out track is brilliant. Didn't roger Robinson used to do deeply boring spoken word stuff? What was he playing at if he could sing like that all along?

STN
08-10-2008, 02:05 PM
It's good to have things to look forward to.

It never ceases to amaze me how underrated the less abrasive tracks by The Bug are.

Or how overrated the abrasive ones are...

john eden
08-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Or how overrated the abrasive ones are...

Fightin' talk, Mr STN!

mms
08-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Brilliant. Since Hyperdub moved on from putting out mostly Kode 9 material, it has become a really fantastic label with a much larger and more ambitious scope. Everything this label has released over the last year or so (with the exception of Ikonika's "Please" - nice enough tune, just not up to par) has been really great music that completely transcends the ever-drying cement of the dubstep mold.

oh i thought the ikonika ep was fantastic.

mms
08-10-2008, 03:52 PM
That Cool Out track is brilliant. Didn't roger Robinson used to do deeply boring spoken word stuff? What was he playing at if he could sing like that all along?

he's a poet, yep, the spoen word stuff on the bug album was great i thought, a nice oasis in amongst all the badness.

joe.dfx
08-10-2008, 06:25 PM
oh i thought the ikonika ep was fantastic.

me too, def one of my favorite hyperdub releases.

the only one i really didn't care for was the quartta330 one. given that i had the 9samurai remix for like months already as it was given out on mp3 i just never really felt that arsed to get it. i do like sunset dub more then the cover though.

but i get that 9 is just trying to get people to realize they don't have to fit in a certain spectrum of sound in order to be "dubstep" or whatever. and i have a lot of respect for that.

King Midas Sound release will be bagged for sure, too ; )

datura
08-10-2008, 06:40 PM
This is the first bug release I've liked in a long time. Personally, I can't stand his abrasive stuff.

viktorvaughn
08-10-2008, 07:22 PM

He had a wicked track on the second Attica Blue album too which was my introduction to him.

michael
06-11-2008, 01:41 AM
This is the first bug release I've liked in a long time. Personally, I can't stand his abrasive stuff.

Haha, yeah, mostly in the same boat. Mostly I'm just a soft-cock. :D

Think 'Cool Out' is an awesome testament to the truth in the whole "less is more" cliche...

Robinson on that Dabrye mix makes me think of Spacek, who I've always liked - but always with reservations. This is just straight up great, tho.

Anyone trainspot the massive sample on that remix? Had someone point it out to me - he's basically lifted the entirety of a beatless track by a Detroit techno producer and cut it up in the mix - all the chords, the swooping synths are a sample. Loathe to say anything more lest he get into trouble, Kenny Dope-style... otoh, I did a Google search and at least one web shop spilled the beans in their sales pitch!

Ory
06-11-2008, 02:10 AM
love those chords, kind of figured they were sampled.

Bang Diddley
06-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Haha, yeah, mostly in the same boat. Mostly I'm just a soft-cock. :D

Think 'Cool Out' is an awesome testament to the truth in the whole "less is more" cliche...

Robinson on that Dabrye mix makes me think of Spacek, who I've always liked - but always with reservations. This is just straight up great, tho.

Anyone trainspot the massive sample on that remix? Had someone point it out to me - he's basically lifted the entirety of a beatless track by a Detroit techno producer and cut it up in the mix - all the chords, the swooping synths are a sample. Loathe to say anything more lest he get into trouble, Kenny Dope-style... otoh, I did a Google search and at least one web shop spilled the beans in their sales pitch!

Yeah very much like Spacek in atmosphere and vocals. All good.
I think I got the sampled artist and possibly the track. Maybe should of been a bit more discreet.

michael
12-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Any word on an album?

Still loving the 12"... not the Flylo mix so much, but the other two tracks are pretty flash.

psherburne
12-01-2009, 08:32 PM
This is part of what I love about Hyperdub. I wasn't personally that thrilled about the Ikonika, and I love the Quarta 330 to death. And yet I could easily imagine someone with musical tastes very similar to mine feeling the exact opposite. Maybe I'm thinking far too subjectively, but there's something to the idea that feels very intentional to me. It's a cliche but I do believe Hyperdub is pushing listeners to question their own tastes. Even the stuff you don't personally care for still carries something distinctively "Hyperdub" about it, and I think that begs certain question about scene, genre, allegiance and (again) taste. Like, I'm really glad the Ikonika 12" is out there, even if I don't gravitate towards it -- and who knows, maybe something I hear a record or two down the line will force me to reconsider my perspective on it.

If that makes *any* sense at all, which I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.

gumdrops
12-01-2009, 08:35 PM
best label out there for my money.

jonny mugwump
12-01-2009, 09:23 PM
I interviewed kevin bug about 2 months ago and by that point it was 3/4 finished but shit yeah, that thing is going to bust heads. He's moved so much into structure now and melody and this is the result of it although it's evident on London Zoo but just in a different format.

And Hyperdub? This is now buy without listening. Even if there's nothing i'm not blown away by i'm still nothing less than fascinated. I really love the LV and Dandelion CCTV thing- that doesn't get hyped as much as it should- really nice but weirdly distorted roots- just amazing...

faustus
02-06-2009, 11:25 AM
not sure quite what the point is of the new release

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=186533

90-100bpm plodding stuff, not really any vocals. maybe itll grow on me

mms
02-06-2009, 11:36 AM

dub versions of tracks from the album isn't it.

the melody sampled on the dabrye remix is from derrick may, one of the intervals on relics, it's perfect that.

massrock
02-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Oi Boomkat, do not evoke Future Days lightly.

andysays
02-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Damn I was looking forward to hearing this, bit underwhelmed. I still reckon their best tune so far is that Surround Me off the first Box of Dub comp.

And Hyperdub? This is now buy without listening. Even if there's nothing i'm not blown away by i'm still nothing less than fascinated.

Absolutely - I've always thought the label's gunna turn out to be the next Warp in a few years - big tings coming up later this year too - 5 albums and a comp with a whole disc of new stuff :D

grave
02-06-2009, 09:09 PM
I hope it doesn't turn into the next Warp :eek:

UFO over easy
02-06-2009, 10:20 PM

sounding wicked in headphones

john eden
19-10-2009, 11:11 AM
http://urbansounds.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/king_midas_sound_waiting_for_you_albumcover.jpg

album is very good indeed on first listen

routes
19-10-2009, 12:00 PM
gagging to hear it...

i wonder if the title is any reference to the wonderful dennis brown song 'waiting for you'

mms
19-10-2009, 12:27 PM
its a reference to the song on the album http://www.cargorecords.co.uk/release/9722

paolo
19-10-2009, 01:45 PM
'Meltdown' on the Hyperdub fifth anniversary CD is a bit of a percy for me right now

john eden
09-11-2009, 02:20 PM
an interview I did with all 3 members of King Midas Sound is now up at Fact Magazine:

http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3904&Itemid=68

vimothy
09-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Why haven't I heard the album yet? Damn!

john eden
09-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Why haven't I heard the album yet? Damn!

'cos it's not out yet? :p

vimothy
09-11-2009, 02:32 PM
That would certainly explain it.

michael
09-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Great article, Mr Eden!

"There is no dub in dubstep" ... that Kevin Martin. :D

zhao
09-11-2009, 07:54 PM
just heard this sick sick tune at 100 bpm. surprisingly good.

john eden
10-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Great article, Mr Eden!

"There is no dub in dubstep" ... that Kevin Martin. :D

Kevin always gives good quote!

still really loving the album and very much looking forward to seeing them live on the 21st...

zhao
10-11-2009, 11:24 AM
just heard this sick sick tune at 100 bpm. surprisingly good.

Too Long Dub.

what a juicy piece of psych.

john eden
14-11-2009, 10:45 PM
http://kingmidassound.blogspot.com/

sjc
16-11-2009, 09:11 AM
i love waiting for you. so amazing. reminds me of spacek.

tom lea
23-11-2009, 04:51 PM
http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/images/stories/easygallery/thumbs/24/factmix-103-king-midas-sound.jpg (http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4031&Itemid=98)

matmustard
23-11-2009, 05:39 PM
^^ Sweetness. Like a 3am Blues with a modest shoegazing tangent..

john eden
23-11-2009, 06:54 PM
I know I'm biased, but that FACT mix is bloody great.

sjc
23-11-2009, 08:01 PM
meltdown is seriously sublime. maybe my song of the year. DL-ing that mix right now.

john eden
23-11-2009, 08:16 PM
I know I'm biased, but that FACT mix is bloody great.

actually it's even better than that.

tom lea
23-11-2009, 08:32 PM
yeah i listen to it all the time - it's brilliant

grizzleb
24-11-2009, 01:53 AM
Brazen bump of Model 500 by Dabrye on that remix towards the end of the mix...never heard that before. Works so well though. Class.

michael
24-11-2009, 03:08 AM
^ Yeah, Derrick May I think it is. Was talked about a bit in the Wonky thread maybe? Or in this one? Anyway... I think it's done beautifully.

grizzleb
24-11-2009, 04:04 AM
Shit, yeah it is Derrick May. It's totally class. More of that kind of shit. Completely recontextualising it...

Transpontine
24-11-2009, 05:47 AM
KMS at Hyperdub:

http://history-is-made-at-night.blogspot.com/2009/11/hyperdub-at-corsica-studios.html

michael
14-12-2009, 12:54 AM
I was pretty disappointed by the album.

Looking back, I was hanging out for it based pretty much solely on the 'Cool Out' 12, which only had the one original mix on it and two remixes by other producers.

I find most of the production really murky and heavy (in the sense of gloomy, more than heavy heavy monster sounds / bass pressure / whatever). I'm not totally anti either of those vibes, but over the course of the album it's pretty exhausting. I never liked e.g. 90s-era On-U sound or Massive Attack circa Mezzanine.. any of that stuff that mixes dub vibes with industrial sounds, so it's probably no surprise I'm not into it. Although it's not aggressive like The Bug, I don't hear much of the sweetness / softness he alluded to in the interview upthread.

Tracks like 'Cool Out' and 'Meltdown' definitely transcend that by being sparser - just a few elements and plenty of space around the vox.

Plus, the fragility of Roger Robinson's vox is a real double-edged sword... I love how the vox sit in some tracks, but over the course of a whole album I feel like his limited range really starts to hit home.

zhao
14-12-2009, 05:07 AM
yeah i was also a bit disspointed by the overly trip hopping album ruminating too long in tricky territory. not enough psychedelic instrumental depth like the Hearts and Ghosts EP, which, in particular "Too Long Dub" as i've mentioned before, is the best new dub i heard in years and years.

IanTheM
14-12-2009, 07:29 AM
yeah i was also a bit disspointed by the overly trip hopping album ruminating too long in tricky territory. not enough psychedelic instrumental depth like the Hearts and Ghosts EP, which, in particular "Too Long Dub" as i've mentioned before, is the best new dub i heard in years and years.

I feel like once the vocals are there they hide too much of kevin martins cleverness. However, the album does kinda grow on you, it's just hard to listen through the entire thing sometimes cause it gets flat in some songs that sound too similar without catching vocals or lyrics. I still like it, but definitely won't live up to the hype. A hype built up more by the lack of competitors in the same sound space mostly, I'm more eagerly awaiting next years albums.

john eden
14-12-2009, 07:55 AM
A hype built up more by the lack of competitors in the same sound space mostly, I'm more eagerly awaiting next years albums.

I guess I was lucky to hear it before there being any hype but I still think it's great. As you say, there isn't exactly a crowded field of this stuff right now. In fact I've been struggling to get enthusiastic about much music in 2009.

Dusty
14-12-2009, 01:30 PM
It is a real grower. First couple of listens I wasn't too sure - but now it slots into my top albums of the year.

I don't usually go with Boomkats sloppy 'sounds like this' comparisons, but they did mention Tricky, and I have to agree - it does feel like Maxine Quaye even if it doesn't actually sound like it. Some kind of post millenium tension thing going on; a continuation of the kode9 and Spaceape album. This record fits on the Hyperdub label so well it's untrue (err... no Burial pun intended there).

Dusty
14-12-2009, 01:31 PM
i really should change my avatar... combined with this thread its making me look like some kind of fanboy, and I do love other labels. Honestly.

mms
17-12-2009, 11:13 AM
don't really get the trip hop comparisons at all, pretty lazy. The more i listen to it personally the more it all comes more alive, both the lyrics and the music, both feel sweeter, there is a sense of cinematic quality to the music, not in the 'sounds like a soundtrack' kinda trip hop way but in the way sounds, themes and incidentals accentuate the lyrical themes.

zhao
17-12-2009, 11:16 AM
if it's lazy to point out the obvious then yeah.

gumdrops
17-12-2009, 11:19 AM
some of the trip hop parallels are pretty obviously sonic - the trudging hip hop drums on certain tracks and that overall sense of ambience. its a very 90s album really. apart from some of the post dubstep bass heaviness if you told me it came out in 98 or around that time i would have believed you. and thats not a bad thing. the bug can say that the similarities are from listening to the same stuff as the wild bunch etc but i wouldnt be surprised if he was kinda trying to revisit that kind of 90s cross-cutting vibe. im glad he did personally, theres not much like that going on at the moment, at least not worth listening to.

CrowleyHead
17-12-2009, 11:21 AM
don't really get the trip hop comparisons at all, pretty lazy. The more i listen to it personally the more it all comes more alive, both the lyrics and the music, both feel sweeter, there is a sense of cinematic quality to the music, not in the 'sounds like a soundtrack' kinda trip hop way but in the way sounds, themes and incidentals accentuate the lyrical themes.

Honestly, I got more of a cinematic theme from "London Zoo" than any of this material. But I digress...

Going to have to wait 'til the new year to grab this baby though.

mms
17-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Honestly, I got more of a cinematic theme from "London Zoo" than any of this material. But I digress...,
Going to have to wait 'til the new year to grab this baby though.

i'm talking about the design of the sonics rather than the notion of something cinematic, as i explained above, they have a sense of drama and timing that fits in with the narrative theme of the songs, accentuates them, it's very perceptively produced like that, like he's been listening to the way sound is used in films rather than the way soundtrack themes have been used in films.

It only has one track with hip hoppy drums, it has no dense jazzy samples which are the things that for me are what trip hop is really or was.
its all claustrophobic synths and fx's, techno sounds and a reggaeish lilt and fuck off dubby b lines with love songs, so yeah trip hop is a bit of a shit comparison and not really 'obvious' to my ears, the only similarity is the speed but you can say that about alot of other music, it's obviously informed by dubstep but it's not dubstep.
It's very much a kevin martin record, but its more musical than before perhaps.

gumdrops
17-12-2009, 04:20 PM
i suppose thats one of the good things about KM - his records arent ____ (insert genre) but at the same time, they totally are.

michael
18-12-2009, 12:05 AM
^Yeah, he's v. good at retaining his character while trying on different genre elements.

Am enjoying the album more after repeat listens.

Someone mentioned Tricky specifically, I do think that's quite a good parallel in terms of the vibe and the formal elements - the deliberately weak / pushed tone to some of the vox, the tempos, the kinds of beats. Fair call that it doesn't have many "hip-hoppy beats" or "dense jazz samples", but neither do those Tricky albums. At least, no more or less so than this.

sing_minimal
20-12-2009, 01:37 PM
i love the whole album appart from that really annoying earth will tell you and another short one towards the end.. but the rest of it is brilliant. it's a cliche i know, but to me this is the ultimate music to get stoned to and i don't see the tricky connection, but it reminded me of massive attack as soon as i heard it for the first time. brilliant album.

crackerjack
04-01-2010, 04:27 PM
http://ripfork.com/2009/12/rory-gibbs-review-of-waiting-for-you-by-king-midas-sound/

mms
04-01-2010, 09:05 PM
pedantic as fuck that really.

Leo
26-05-2011, 11:25 PM
http://www.factmag.com/2011/05/26/five-minutes-with-stuart-baker-the-bug/

interesting bit from the FACT interview with kevin martin and stuart baker, hope they record some of this stuff:

KM: “Ironically King Midas Sound live has gone into full headfuck mode, where Lovers rock has turned into apocalypse… [laughs]. The metamorphosis of KMS has been a joy, it’s a real band which is continually evolving in a really exiting way, and is now light years away from 'Waiting For You'. The emphasis is now on psychedelia, intensity and overwhelming volume, as opposed to insular melancholy...”

Sick Boy
27-05-2011, 01:29 AM
http://ripfork.com/2009/12/rory-gibbs-review-of-waiting-for-you-by-king-midas-sound/

haha, I didn't know about this website. It may be pedantic but it's true. Music writers in particular have a tendency to make up for a lack of writing ability by... over-writing. Makes you wonder if these sites have editors.

Joey Joe-Joe Jr. Shabadoo
27-05-2011, 09:09 AM
pedantic as fuck that really.

pots and kettles and black stuff

matt b
27-05-2011, 11:27 AM
pots and kettles and black stuff

It's taken you a year to come up with that clever response? No wonder MMS doesn't post much anymore. Dick.

gumdrops
27-05-2011, 11:32 AM
that review is pedantic but the earnest wordiness of the original review did make me chuckle a little. still, KMS might be my favourite thing KM has done to date. i hope him and roger r do more work together. meltdown is a bonafide brit-soul/reggae classic imo. up there with anything massive attack or soul II soul did early on. better than tricky too ;)

Leo
27-05-2011, 12:03 PM
hey, i revived this thread with that excerpt from this week's FACT interview on KMS's new direction. how's about some comments on that!?? :p

john eden
27-05-2011, 01:12 PM
hey, i revived this thread with that excerpt from this week's FACT interview on KMS's new direction. how's about some comments on that!?? :p

Really looking forward to seeing what it becomes - in the studio and live. Other than that, not much to say really - I hope there's still space for a bit of melancholic ambient dub bizness as well.

run_time
28-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Anyone look to go to the King Midas Sound gig at the Bishopgate Institute on Friday. I gather KMS pulled out due to wanting to play louder than the venue would allow. Enjoy feeling the sound although after hearing the sound levels when Leyland Kirby, it did leave me thinking how loud KMS were hoping to play (excessively so?).

SecondLine
28-01-2012, 06:45 PM

christ. It's one thing to criticise somebody's writing style (I guess some form of respected independent critique would probably tighten up a lot of online music writing), but that's just ugly and personal. Including a picture and commenting on somebody's physique is a pretty hideous way to go about lampooning their review.

I know that's really old, sorry, was just quite shocked by it. If somebody did that to me it'd ruin my week I expect

viktorvaughn
28-04-2012, 07:33 PM
KMS are supporting Sun Araw & M. Geddes Gengras meet The Congos.

http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?ID=13389