Product Placement in Grime

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
anyone got any info on this please?

does skepta have a deal with nokia? some of his lyrical references to nokia don't even make sense...

do adidas now fund some artists' videos (e.g. chipmunk's 'muhammed ali'?)

thanks in advance!

Blackdown

nexKeysound
the whole kano gig at indigo was put on by adidas, i pondered writing about it in my piece but didnt find enough of an angle. "sports brand sponsors urban music event" is hardly news ;)

historically though, ie since about '04 grime MCs could go to adidas or puma or whoever, say they had a photoshoot and get free clothes. Chantelle Fiddy worked for one of the brands for a while i recall. there's clothing ads in RWD featuring grime mcs n djs too, often quite budget ones!

but these kinds of deals are just barters really, a shadow of what US rap stars get in sponsorship. the real issue will be whether these guys now they have big managers and that, can actually get paid to endorse brands.

Logan

Grime Guru
Anything you think it is. It is not that.

Free clothes is about it. Adidas sponsored that event which was to promote the 2012 olympics, not Kano's album (I didn't know this until I got there on the night) Nike covered the costs for my Oneaway Style CD.

You aren't looking at a huge outlay on their part.

And for your information, Skepta bought all of his Ed Hardy. He's spent a lot money on it.

mos dan

fact music
alright fair enough, it just seemed that way. i'll downgrade my comment from suggesting he's in ed hardy's pocket to 'he needs some new bars'. because that wasn't even toasting that he was doing at rinse vs fwd, just 'ed hardy.. ed hardy party.. it's an ed hardy party.. ed hardy' over and over. even most of the (waste) dubstep toasters/hosts manage better than that. diggy diggy dig on down.

onetone

I swear I read in an interview that dizzee was sponsered by nike. I know that he had his own shoe by them. Kano also had the chance to model for hugo boss.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Dizzee did have a limited N180 made for him, i've seen them in his HQ store room, but it's just not the same as having a full sponsorship deal (the mix CD that came with them is sick!).

but ad hoc things like this this can be done for a quick PR burst, but it's hardly like being contractually tied and paid to be the face of the brand...

Logan

Grime Guru
Dizzee does not get paid money to wear Nike product, ergo he is not sponsored. He did a gig paid for by adidas on a plane with Wyclef earlier in the year. Most of the black/urban artists in this country just do one off projects with various brands.

Elijah

Butterz
yeah exactly, whereas really they deserve to be paid in full and get proper deals...

they clearly have massive influence over the youths.

more so then the Olympic heros. But it is a risky thing for them. If these artists do anything silly, then the brand will look bad. It is not worth the risk.

Lol at Skepta buying that much of somebody elses brand, should of put that into developing his own.

They could do some cool stuff with the BBK t shirts it hasnt really been that creative thus far.