Sergei Paradjanov

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thanks to Octopus for the tip. I watched a couple of films by this guy the other day that came on the same disc - Legend of Suram Fortress and Ashik Kerib - and they were both fantastic. Apparently he was greatly influenced by (and later a friend of) Tarkovsky, dedicating one of the films to him, and I think that's fairly apparent from the stillness of the camera and the way that the scenes appear almost more like paintings than images in a film. Paradjanov however takes this much further than Tarkovsky with the camera often remaining totally unmoving in any given scene, many of which are centred on an arch or doorway or some other feature which usually serves to fix the action such as it is. Speaking is kept to a minimum, particularly in Ashik Kerib where a constant backing of Armenian (I think - I believe that Suram Fortress is based on a Georgian folk tale and Ashik Kerib is based on an Armenian one) folk music adds to the atmosphere. The music in both films is brilliant and reminds me of a lot of Turkish psychedelic folk that I've heard and some of my favourite scenes in Suram Fortress consist of people dancing to it. Most striking in both films is the sumptuous beauty of everything - the rich cloths, the harsh landscapes, the animals especially which are used as mobile decoration, and also the people - and the power and drama this conveys to storylines which are fairly minimal although somewhat hard to follow at times despite this.
I believe that Paradjanov spent a lot of the seventies in gaol, apparently on trumped up charges. Obviously it was pretty easy to offend the wrong people at that time. So, anyone else a fan? What are his other films like? Is there anyone else who does stuff comparable to this?

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews35/films of sergei paradjanov/ suram235-subs.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2387/2059239569_7c5ebbe53b.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2274/2060023596_9516cfc050.jpg?v=0

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/ashik/0.14.30-Kino.jpg

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/a/a2/180px-Ashikkeribposter.jpg

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/ashik/0.45.31-Rus.jpg

Those images don't really do full justice to the richness of the films.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"The Color of Pomegranates is fantastic. You should check that out too."
That's the only one that lovefilm have and it's been on my list for aaaages (actually prior to Octopus' tip on the other one in fact) but I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever show up.

forestier

Sorry for the thread bump...just noticed this.

I can definitely recommend 'shadows of forgotten ancestors' - it's this odd, elliptical film about peasant life in the Ukraine (or thereabouts, iirc), although I saw it many years ago so my recollection is a little hazy. I just remember this disjointed riot of colour, music and dance...it seems to be a recurring theme in his films - i'd call it "pyschedelic ethnography" or something along those lines...

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I can definitely recommend 'shadows of forgotten ancestors' - it's this odd, elliptical film about peasant life in the Ukraine (or thereabouts, iirc), although I saw it many years ago so my recollection is a little hazy. I just remember this disjointed riot of colour, music and dance...it seems to be a recurring theme in his films - i'd call it "pyschedelic ethnography" or something along those lines...
Well, I still need to see this, along with the Pomegranate one. Sure they will come my way eventually.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Someone sent me a film yesterday called The Eve of Ivan Kupalo which was directed by Yuri Ilyenko who, it turns out, was Paradjanov's cinematographer. Unfortunately the disc (or my player) seems to be corrupted and the film keeps crashing but so far I've been able to gain a few tantalising glimpses of scenes which, as you might expect (or hope) look as though they could come from one of the films mentioned above, although they are arguably more psychedelic. I'm hoping that I can get this disc fixed, the film has me licking my lips in anticipation right now...

Paradjanov was also inspired by Pier Paolo Pasolini, whose films have a similar feel and colour palette.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"i thought the influence went the other way?"
Well, I dunno, I don't claim to be an expert but I expect it was mutual admiration. But for what it's worth this is what wikipedia says:

Tarkovsky's first film Ivan's Childhood had an enormous impact on Parajanov's self-discovery as a filmmaker of genius (later the influence became mutual, they were also close friends).
And, let's face it, that's probably where I got it from when I wrote the start of this thread.
Anyway, the Eve of Ivan Kupalo is amazing, well worth checking although somewhat hard to follow as anything other than a sequence of beautiful images (although, like so many other things, it's based on a Gogol story).

"Paradjanov was also inspired by Pier Paolo Pasolini, whose films have a similar feel and colour palette."
Maybe so but I think that the way the Paradjanov things look is next level, he's taken it way further.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Sounds ace - and I really must see the Ancestors one. Although I loved the ones I've seen they seem to be the least well regarded.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just watched an earlier film by Ilyenko - A Spring For The Thirsty. Slightly different from the other films (and in black and white) but still beautfiul, lyrical, weird etc This one particularly hard to follow I found but still well worth checking:

Filmed in 1965 and just as contemporary now as it was then, Yuri Ilyenko's directorial debut, A SPRING FOR THE THIRSTY, is a surreal cinematic poem from the cinematographer of Sergei Paradzhanov's 1964 SHADOWS OF FORGOTTEN ANCESTORS. (Ilyenko's best-known film, BIELAYA PTITSA S TCHORNEM PIATNOM [The White Bird Marked with Black] was made five years later and was named best film at the Moscow Film Festival.) As director-cinematographer of A SPRING FOR THE THIRSTY, Ilyenko has created a parable centering on an old man who lives a secluded life in the desert, alone with only his memories and photographs. His wellspring, once a source of joy and hope for thirsty passersby, is now rarely used. No longer able to find comfort in his memories, he turns all his photographs to face the walls. Divided into five sections--"A Coffin Is Needed," "Long July Nights," "The Day of Judgement Arrived," "The Son," and "Epilogue"--A SPRING FOR THE THIRSTY is practically a silent film. From its powerful, abstract black-and-white images, however, we learn that the old man is waiting to die. He builds himself a coffin, then sleeps in it, hoping to facilitate the last rite of passage. While he waits he is harassed by an elderly townswoman who helps him dig his grave. Distressed that he has lost the desire to live, she shouts, "Why do you need a coffin, you Antichrist?" He ignores her and reflects on all the people he has met at his well: two young brides who drink from the bucket as he holds it; a young child and his father; a beautiful young woman who beckons him and exclaims, as she washes her face, "Water, you are so lovely"; a young soldier unexpectedly shot by an unseen enemy (the bullet piercing the bucket as he drinks) in whose honor the town erects a statue, the old women and children crying in striking close-ups as the monument is lifted from its crate.
As stunning as his compositions is Ilyenko's inventive and minimal use of sound. A series of still photos of the old man chopping down a tree is intercut with scenes of children playing on a windmill, with the sounds of falling trees and laughing children juxtaposed. Suddenly a guitar is heard, and the old man's family arrives for a visit. His young, pregnant daughter-in-law has brought him a tape recorder and tries to get him to speak into it, but he starts to laugh uncontrollably. Although his son and family have also returned home for the visit, it is only the daughter-in-law who understands him. As he walks across the desert carrying a fruit tree, she is the only one to follow, picking up the fruit that falls from the branches. After picking up several pieces she is stricken with pain, drops the fruit, falls to the ground, puts her hand to her abdomen, and smiles as the film ends.
A SPRING FOR THE THIRSTY is an abstract visual work and not for the casual moviegoer, but its rewards are great for those who appreciate the sublime power of simplicity. It is a simple parable about the absoluteness of human thirst. Ilyenko's images are also simple, and their power may be lost on contemporary audiences used to high-tech special effects. The purity in his close-ups of the old man, the dying soldier, the thirsty young brides, and the village children are what make A SPRING FOR THE THIRSTY a masterful work--one worthy of comparison with another Ukrainian master, Alexander Dovzhenko. Ilyenko collaborated with the poet Ivan Dratch to create this lyrical work, which expresses the desires and fears of not just one man, but of a people who find temporary solace at his well and who continue, ultimately, to search for spiritual happiness whether it be found in this life or some other. In this cinematic poem Ilyenko has brilliantly realized the credo upon which Dovzhenko based much of his own work: "Let us not treat the theme of ordinary man as an ordinary theme. A film that is not steeped in human feeling is like a planet without atmosphere." (In Russian; English subtitles.) (Violence.)

http://movies.tvguide.com/spring-thirsty/review/127113