booty bass / crunk mixes

Shonx

Shallow House
Could do worse than try www.discobelle.net - just stick booty bass or whatever the hell you like in there. Pretty sure there were a few good ones in there. Really quite fancy hearing some ghettotech/juke/booty/b-more/whutever mixes myself

I'll go through my mix collection and see if I can find some links for ya's

ripley

not to nitpick, but is booty bass even a real genre? cant people just call it miami bass?

I think of them as different but related. Miami being a subsection of booty. But I'm no expert - where does ghettotek/accelerated funk fit into this?

bassnation

the abyss
Booty is more of a Detroit thing I think with DJ Godfather, DJ Funk Ass and Titties and all that.

yeah, miami bass is a lot slower and older - its from the early nineties, no? stylistically they aren't that similar apart from the profane aspect, and the subbass maybe. look at dj funk and tell me how similar he is to 2 live crew and you'll see what i mean.

viktorvaughn

If you click on Prancehall's Guardian blog it includes stuff written by MP John MCDonnell (Prancehall's name). Made me smile.

mms

sometimes
miami bass was mid to late 80's and a regional take on the electro sound, la had an electro bass sound as well, as did new york, but the sound of miami was more or less the sound of miami hip hop if you get me.
the detroit bass or electro bass was more 90's and isn't as mc led at all it's club music, course that came more or less from a mixture of the ghetto house trax from chicago etc, ie the music getting faster and dirtier and detroit techno and electro plus big handfulls of classic detroit funk and electro funk sped up.
crunk is an atlanta thing no, much later than either and probably more or less a mixture of chopped and screwed. southern shit and tempos and also samples in hip hop not really being the fashion anymore.
so if you like detroit, miami have their roots in electro
duke/ghetto house and to an extent baltimore stuff has its roots more in house.
dunno enough about southern hip hop to really get busy on that.

Last edited:

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I thought all this Booty-house came from Chicago originally?

Regarding Southern-hiphop, well I was just in Memphis, and I got a Nasty Nardo
mix for about 3 dollars...Just coz these guys are black doesn't mean they can't make
really shitty music!

Anyway dance music in America basically happens in Las Vegas and Miami, New York is basically making nerdy-gulity-feet-aint-got-no-rhythm electro for nerds, New York's
currency for music is zilch (like the economy) Hopefully it gets more dangerous and all the fashion-fags leave so the city gets it's edge again, I mean you ever been to Staten Isalnd?

The COmmodore64 techno from the midlands seems more happening than anything in the USA right now, unless Bauhaus and MBV mash-up are your thing, or worse listening to Cuck Copy (and a guy who sets a benchmark for horrible singing!)

mms

sometimes

Blip

Straight Up Detroit Shit

When it comes to mixes featuring said genres, I recommend...

Dj Assault's "Straight Up Detroit Shit" series. Said shit is mostly at 45rpm +12 if you don't mind that... and pre-crunk, even though it shows some crunkiness.

For me the best is vol. 4. Went from not getting it in the first listen, to not so indifferent in the second, to this is the best mix ever from the third on.

mms

sometimes
1. History

Assault was born in Detroit on August 28th, 1973 to Craig De Shan and Patricia Adams. He grew up in an affluent suburb, discovering Electrofunk at the age of 15. He soon released 'Straight Up Detroit Shit, Vol. 1' in 1996. Assault has recently started his own label: Jefferson Avenue, and released another series of 12" records with a mix of the old Electrofunk songs and a new collection of tracks. He was arrested in October 2008 for the alleged molestation of 3 boy scouts.

from wikipedia
What?

Blip

Boy
Scouts
Boy
Scouts
Boy boy boy boy boy boy
scouts scouts scouts scouts

Not the same, dammit.

Now seriously, looks like bullshit, couldn't find anything else on that arrest. And he's supposed to play today in Detroit.

tyranny

1. History

Assault was born in Detroit on August 28th, 1973 to Craig De Shan and Patricia Adams. He grew up in an affluent suburb, discovering Electrofunk at the age of 15. He soon released 'Straight Up Detroit Shit, Vol. 1' in 1996. Assault has recently started his own label: Jefferson Avenue, and released another series of 12" records with a mix of the old Electrofunk songs and a new collection of tracks. He was arrested in October 2008 for the alleged molestation of 3 boy scouts.

from wikipedia
What?

It's gone now!