PDA

View Full Version : Spooky Music

ether
22-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Any one got any suggestions, I'm trying to compile a Halloween play list.

Please no jokes about hauntology or references to the slightly irritating dj spooky. :rolleyes:

IdleRich
22-10-2008, 10:22 AM
There's a Ghost in My House - not spooky sounding but halloween themed title if that's what you're after.

STN
22-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Goblin!

Also check The Spider and the Fly by The Monocles. That never fails to scare the bejesus out of me.

Anything off the first Comus LP.

Burning Saviour by Pentragram.

All of Three 6 Mafia's early, devilly output.

mistersloane
22-10-2008, 10:49 AM
eclectic grooves is you!

http://eclectic-grooves.blogspot.com/2007/10/all-hallows-eve-2007.html

IdleRich
22-10-2008, 10:54 AM
"Also check The Spider and the Fly by The Monocles. That never fails to scare the bejesus out of me."
Yes that's nuts.
Goblin yeah, good one. Is Tubular Bells too obvious? As mentioned before there is a good track from the Exorcist 2 soundtrack by Morricone which has a spooky kind of sound.

IdleRich
22-10-2008, 11:00 AM
"eclectic grooves is you!

http://eclectic-grooves.blogspot.com...-eve-2007.html"
Good stuff, on the same tip how about It's Your Voodoo Working by Charles Sheffield. Absolutely killer tune.

slim jenkins
22-10-2008, 11:15 AM
The Carpenter title track for the film...'The Monster Mash'...'I Put A Spell On You'...'Miles Runs The - ' no, not that one...isn't there a Sonics track called 'Witch'?

IdleRich
22-10-2008, 11:27 AM
"no, not that one...isn't there a Sonics track called 'Witch'?"
The Witch isn't it? Also Rattles had a song with the same name. I'm on a witch role now - Witch of Endor by Moondog, You Must Be a Witch by The Lollipop Shoppe.
Love Me by The Phantom, The Phantom by Renegade Soundwave.

Also, very scary track is Rubber Room by Porter Wagoner.

baboon2004
22-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Horrorist - One Night in New York City

Tune! :D

STN
22-10-2008, 11:40 AM
That Porter Wagoner track is magic. And spooky. There's some quite scary sounding David Axelrod stuff around. And the eee-eee-eee noise from Psycho might make a good interlude.

Johnny Remember Me always scares me a lot. It makes me afraid I'll die old and unwanted, so maybe the wrong kind of spooky.

The Horror by RJD2 is good with evil stringsweeps but has a propulsion that a lot of real soundtrack stuff lacks.

slim jenkins
22-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Ghostface Killah?
'Ding-dong..the wicked witch is dead'...
'Psycho'
'Psycho Killer'

baboon2004
22-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Soundtrack to 'Cannibal Holocaust' by Ortolani (?) is, ahem, killer.

Diamanda Galas will always scare the bejesus out of people.

Current 93 and other similar stuff is fairly creepy.

Wicker Man s/t?

IdleRich
22-10-2008, 11:47 AM
"Johnny Remember Me always scares me a lot. It makes me afraid I'll die old and unwanted, so maybe the wrong kind of spooky."
Yeah, absolutely love that. I've got a psych version by some Belgian band which is really nice but my girlfriend won't ever let me play it's too sad. Death songs are a weird genre aren't they? What's the one where he digs up the dead woman?
Another Joe Meek one is Night of the Vampire by The Moontrekkers. Think it's Meek himself that you can hear do the scream at the start on that - it actually got banned by radio for being too scary which is quite an achievement for an instrumental.
Black Mass by Lucifer (Mort Garson) is nice, funny/spooky moog stuff.

mixed_biscuits
22-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Some mildly discordant drone would fit the bill - Birchville Cat Motel, for instance.

straight
22-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Some mildly discordant drone would fit the bill - Birchville Cat Motel, for instance.

if you want all your guests to be nothing but ghostly rememberances

I suggest vampire island by drexciya

labrat
22-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Mark Wastell-come crimson waves
Caretaker-http://www.brainwashed.com/vvm/releases/vvmtest/vvmtcd25c.htm
Skaters
Fag Tapes

craner
22-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Music from The Clangers.

Sick Boy
22-10-2008, 01:10 PM
I think Joker's Gully Brook Lane has a certain Halloween quality about it.

urbanite
22-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Nick Cave - Red Right Hand :)

bassbeyondreason
22-10-2008, 02:58 PM
http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5759

Also:

Jandek-Six and Six, Put My Dream on this Planet, Khartoum
Coil-Musick to Play in the Dark
Pagan Altar-Volume 1
Abruptum-In Umbra...

CHAOTROPIC
22-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Good call on Jandek & 666Mafia.

How about Nico? Some of her later live stuff with the harmonium is soul-shrivellingly creepy & desolate.

The Microphones can really make your ears wilt too.

ripley
22-10-2008, 04:24 PM
there was a whole spooky trend in 90s hip-hop..

i'm thinking of some of the Arsonist instrumentals (one called Lt. Worf & Chewbacca IIRC), and also Vadim.. and Jedi Mind Tricks, Company Flow had a great one that sampled The Hobbit (spookily). A lot of the backpacker stuff, especially the wiggy ones that go all mystical/numerological have spooky instrumental versions.
Also Mutamassik's productions might qualify as spooky in places.

and then there's the more epic spooky era of dark cinematic d&B - all those ones with girls screaming "Johnny!" and "Ricky!" and such, and some of that era's Ed Rush.. oh and Photek could maybe be spooky as well.

Muslimgauze also could be spooky. and other more ambient stuff with aahs and coos that are trying for sexy but can also be creepy.

quite a fun theme, actually!

for 2-step, ERBs' "mysterious", which is probably too dancey to be spooky but definitely has an.. erm.. mysterious vibe.

and of course there's some great spooky dub - lots of Rhythm& Sound's production is so spaced-out and minimal it would qualify for me

IdleRich
22-10-2008, 04:29 PM
"Death songs are a weird genre aren't they? What's the one where he digs up the dead woman?"
To answer my own question, apparently it's I Want My Baby Back by Jimmy Cross from 1965, here are the lyrics:

"I want my baby back
Gotta have my baby back
I miss her oh so much
Canít live without her touch

[Spoken]

I donít hardly know where to begin. I remember we were cruising home from the Beatles concert. Iíd had such a wonderful evening, sitting there watching my baby screaming, and tearing her hair out, and carrying on. She was so full of life. Then, well, we were about three miles from home when all of a sudden it started to rain. And I do mean rain. I couldnít hardly see nothing. Well, we kept driving for about another mile when all of a sudden I see this stalled car right smack in front of me. Well, I wasnít about to slam on the brakes Ďcause I didnít have none to start with. So I swerved to the left. And what do I seeósome mushhead on a motorcycle headiní right at us. And I knew at last me and my baby were about to meet the leader of theÖ

[Crash sounds]

Öpack

Well, when I come to, I looked around
And there was the leader
And there was the pack
And over there was my baby
And over there was my baby
And way over there was my baby
I want my baby back
Gotta have my baby back
I miss her oh so much
Canít live without her touch

[Spoken]

Itís been many months now since that fateful night. And you know something, Iíve tried. Believe me, I have tried. But I just canít make without my baby. So Iíve decided Iím going to have her back one way or another. Oh, baby, I dig you so much. Hot dang, pay dirt.

[Digging and creaking]

Iíve got my baby back
Now, Iíve got my baby back
I love her oh so much

Benny B
22-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Johnny Remember Me always scares me a lot. It makes me afraid I'll die old and unwanted, so maybe the wrong kind of spooky.

Yep, you have to include this song, its amazing. Those Screaming Lord Sutch ones that Joe Meek produced would be great too, Jack the Ripper maybe?

If its horror-schlock you're after you can't go wrong with the cramps really. Whats that one about 'spiders in my eyelids and ghosts in the cheese', that would be perfect.

IdleRich
22-10-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm A Mummy by Bob McFadden and Dor is appropriate but not very scary. (noteworthy for the b-side Beat Generation which was reworked by Richard Hell for Blank Generation).

ripley
22-10-2008, 04:56 PM
To answer my own question, apparently it's I Want My Baby Back by Jimmy Cross from 1965, here are the lyrics:

wow that is really creepy

on that note (and a big influence on the Cramps) some of the Hasil Adkins stuff is creepy because he was such a freaking nutcase.

http://rcs.law.emory.edu/rcs/artists/a/adki1000.htm

craner
22-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Gravediggaz!

Kate Mossad
22-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Polanski's MacBeth OST - Third Ear Band
Medical Acceptance Gate - The Fall
Buchenwald album - Whitehouse
Antropophagus, The Grim Reaper OST - Marcello Giombini
Flowers of Evil - Ruth White

craner
22-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Polanski's MacBeth OST - Third Ear Band

Ah, yes!

Shonx
22-10-2008, 07:52 PM
The lyrics are pretty spooked but with the music it gives me goosebumps

Sunz of Man - The Sinz of Man (little excerpt for ya) -

My mind sometimes be haunted by my memories
Visions in my head have shown me digging up my enemies
I hate to go to sleep because of the dread that's in my head
At times I find myself running from shadows of the dead
They're trying to pull me under and bury me alive
I wake up thinking it's over and thinking I've survived
They've pulled me back to sleep and separated my soul
from my body and put my bloody flesh in a hole
Ah, shit gets worse, now the curse caves my faith in
I rose from beneath the surface of Earth as Satan
Inflicting people with war, drugs, diseases
Jumped up, fell back to sleep, ressurected, ah Jesus
Healing the same mother fuckers I've just inflicted
Spreading righteousness through word of god, my mind is twisted
A holy war in the mental, I'm sort of brain dead
Spirits have got me under pressure and they're fucking up my head

michael
22-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Diamanda Galas will always scare the bejesus out of people.

Yeah, was the first thing I thought of - Vena Cava scared the crap out of me the one time I listened to it. :o

muser
22-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Abelcain - Pantheon Of Fiends LP has some good bits to use especially the last track, depending on what your going for/where youre playing you may not want to play any of the full tracks though.

Benny B
22-10-2008, 09:46 PM
The last couple of Shackleton releases on Skull Disco are pretty creepy

IdleRich
22-10-2008, 10:55 PM
"wow that is really creepy"
In fairness, although it's not clear from seeing it written down, I think that that song is kinda tongue in cheek.

"on that note (and a big influence on the Cramps) some of the Hasil Adkins stuff is creepy because he was such a freaking nutcase."
I love Hasil Adkins and, yeah, he was truly nuts. Why/how does he manage to fit lyrics about cutting people's heads off into so many of his songs?

Remember watching Polanski's Macbeth at school but nothing of the soundtrack. Probably destroyed by the horror of seeing Keith Chegwin naked.

Just to agree with everyone again but I love this song

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7e4JXwd7XMo

BSquires
23-10-2008, 07:36 AM
How about some dark ambient:

Lustmord - most/any but especially 'The Monstrous Soul' CD
Inade - 'Burning Flesh' CD
Herbst9 - 'From a Dark Chasm Below' CD

Plus an all-time favourite made from black box recordings, especially good for long flights...

Propergol - 'Ground Proximity Warning System' CD

There's loads more but I'll stop now...

Also one from my youth:

Celtic Frost - 'Tears In A Prophet's Dream' from 'To Mega Therion'.

Bang Diddley
23-10-2008, 08:27 AM
First time I heard this drop yonks ago people where looking for somewhere to hide. The music stopped, a seconds silence, all the lights out and then this.

Bam Bam - Where's your child

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIptx9oj4v4

mms
23-10-2008, 08:35 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/release/c49x/

that : andrew pekler strings and feedback

fantastic spookiness
and also

nosferatu by popol vuh
exotic and spooky at the same time.

mira calix last album was tremendously spooky too.

third ear band are great.

BareBones
23-10-2008, 10:09 AM
What an excellent idea for a thread and some sweet suggestions! Personally i'd like to recommend:

anything by The Residents - that track of theirs where they do the nightmarish medley of loads of classic pop songs like Hey Jude (i think it's on the 3rd Reich & Roll album) is fucking creepy and absolutely amazing.

Deathprod - a lot of their stuff is pretty spooky but i find the track "dead people's things" from the 'morals and dogma' album really gives me the willies. Although it's like 18mins long so probably not a good compilation choice.

IdleRich
23-10-2008, 10:13 AM
"anything by The Residents - that track of theirs where they do the nightmarish medley of loads of classic pop songs like Hey Jude (i think it's on the 3rd Reich & Roll album) is fucking creepy and absolutely amazing."Residents are another band my girlfriend won't let me play - too scary apparently.

BareBones
23-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Residents are another band my girlfriend won't let me play - too scary apparently.

haha! that's awesome. I love the way they have all those really creepy-scary moments and then have these really cute melodic pop tunes as well, often on the same album.

Kate Mossad
23-10-2008, 12:57 PM
First time I heard this drop yonks ago people where looking for somewhere to hide. The music stopped, a seconds silence, all the lights out and then this.

Bam Bam - Where's your child

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIptx9oj4v4

Nice, also Losing Control by DBX

ether
30-10-2008, 09:30 AM
cheers for the suggestions, found some amusing Psychobilly and then went of at a horror-core tangent after re-discovering Big L's east coast rap classic 'the devils son' and geto boys 'my mind playing tricks on me'

anymore 90's macabre rap suggestions?

ps. just found a video of bushwick bill serenading a python on youtube most strange....

BareBones
30-10-2008, 09:31 AM
i haven't got any 90s macabre rap suggestions i'm afraid, but PLEASE up your halloween mix when you've done it! :)

Benny B
30-10-2008, 10:52 AM

Kool Keith's Dr Doooom album? or even Dr Octogan. Macabre, but hilarious and daft too.

Mr. Tea
30-10-2008, 01:41 PM
what came to mind is stuff like this:

einsturzende neubauten - halber mensch (letze biest am himmel, seele brennt, sehnsucht)

Also 'Armenia' (and many other tracks) from Drawings of Patient O.T. :)

'Hamburger Lady' by Throbbing Gristle

The last two tracks (i.e. side B) of the White Noise's An Electric Storm

A short instrumental called 'Aeon Blue Apocalypse' from Tool's Lateralus album

Also 'Die Eier Von Satan' from the album before that

'Until Death (Us Do Part)' by Front 242

'Warszawa' from Bowie's Low

Let's face it, virtually any Joy Division!

'In Every Dream Home A Heartache' by Roxy Music

....and, I'd have thought, most if not all dubstep worthy of the name? I dunno much about it, but it usually seems quite 'spooky' to me.

DannyL
01-11-2008, 02:25 PM
cheers for the suggestions, found some amusing Psychobilly and then went of at a horror-core tangent after re-discovering Big L's east coast rap classic 'the devils son' and geto boys 'my mind playing tricks on me'

Most obvious selection every but .... Tha Gravediggaz?

Mr. Tea
01-11-2008, 05:06 PM
More obviouser still:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RZ2oXzrnti4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RZ2oXzrnti4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

padraig (u.s.)
02-11-2008, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=ether;153356] anymore 90's macabre rap suggestions?
QUOTE]

folks already mentioned a lot of the obvious stuff; early 3 6 (back when they were Triple 6) plus many of their affiliates/weed carriers, "Mind's Playing Tricks On Me" (as well as "Chuckie"), Tha Gravediggaz (and kinda Wu-Tang as well, at least the beats), etc.

others off the top of my head - Brotha Lynch Hung (cannibalism!), Esham (from Detroit where, for some reason, a lot of horrorcore comes from), Ganksta N.I.P. (Houston). there's also a ton of more obscure horrorcore stuff which I'm not familiar with b/c I was never very into it, though it at one point in the mid-90s it was pretty big as a like weird subgenre of gangsta rap. also, I've always thought the classic G-Funk sound a la Dr Dre. was hella spooky sounding - listen to all those eerie synth lines. like George Clinton & Roger Troutman on a bad acid trip.

padraig (u.s.)
02-11-2008, 05:00 PM
also - all the darkside jungle classics, yeah? "Terminator", "Darkage", "Pennywise", Intense - "Journey to the Unknown", a bunch of early Remarc tunes, pretty much anything by Skanna, and so on.

Kode9 puts out some right eerie shit - try listening to "Sine" on headphones late at night. Spaceape's voice is nuts as well.

Villalobos - I dunno, just in how disembodied everything gets.

Killing Joke, This Heat, early Pere Ubu ("30 Seconds Over Tokyo'), Cabaret Voltaire

Implog - "Holland Tunnel Dive" - I've been listening to this track a lot lately. 2 dudes from the downtown NYC scene (both of them played in The Contortions/James White & The Blacks) doing one of those death/sex car crash deals a la Warm Leatherette but way, IMO, better. plus there's a section in the middle where it sounds they just turned on a blender and shove it up next to the mic.

mistersloane
02-11-2008, 09:17 PM
The most frightening records for me are the Fats Waller London Suite, Fats Waller 'Smoke Dreams of You', 'I cant give you anything but love' and especially 'You Cant Have Your Cake and Eat It'. They're super super spooky.

http://www.redhotjazz.com/fats.html

Super creepy also is that 'I wanna marry a lighthouse keeper' song from the Clockwork Orange soundtrack.

Benny B
02-11-2008, 09:39 PM
A super spooky Blues trilogy...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BNj2BXW852g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BNj2BXW852g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Blind Willie Johnson - "Dark was the night, cold was the ground"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3MCHI23FTP8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3MCHI23FTP8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Robert Johnson - "Me and the devil blues"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JB2POWSnStU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JB2POWSnStU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Skip James "Devil Got My Woman"

This is really hair-raising stuff.

nomadthethird
03-11-2008, 03:22 AM
Implog - "Holland Tunnel Dive"

the whole new york noise 3 is awesomely creepy, but i especially love the implog and ike yard tracks, and snatch "black market"