Osborne, Mandelson, Rothschild etc

IdleRich

IdleRich
I can see why there is no thread about this already. The details aren't really that interesting or surprising and as the Tories' final decision was not to pursue funding then ultimately nothing happened. What's more interesting is the degree to which this illustrates that whoever is in power they will all be meeting with each other and with international bankers and dodgy Russian billionaires at sleazy parties on private islands (ok, not a private island in this case but you know what I mean) and that that is how politics works. Also, the complete lack of shock that everyone has displayed at this confirmation - basically everyone is resigned to the idea that our leaders on right and "left" are all part of a global elite who have far more in common with their supposed enemies on the opposite side of the political spectrum than they do with the people they are supposed to represent.
It's also quite funny how petty and childish they are being about the whole thing and basically what a wanker George Osborne is.

RobJC

Check your weapon
Singling out Osborne as wanker after declaring the notions of left and right as defunct in the higher realms of politics is a bit rich, or a sign of underlying political alignment. The message the media (or at least the BBC) are trying to push is that Osborne was way out of his depth and let this be a lesson to the wee laddie - that is as may be, but that one "party" can come out of this issue (and a non-issue if there ever was one) with any creadibility is beyond me. Won't stop the BBC trying though...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Singling out Osborne as wanker after declaring the notions of left and right as defunct in the higher realms of politics is a bit rich"
True enough, let it be known that Peter Mandelson is also a wanker, Rothschild is almost certainly more of a wanker than either of them and Oleg Deripaska is a murderous and extremely dangerous wanker (allegedly).

RobJC

Check your weapon
"a dangerous wanker"

Could he have one's eye out with that?

Thought this thread was going nowhere, and if we are all in agreement....

IdleRich

IdleRich
The other thing that's funny is the way that Osborne initially threatened to sue but immediately changed his mind when it became apparent that Rothschild had witnesses who were happy to back up his account. Just shows that he was happy to lie until he realised that he couldn't get away with it.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
This sort of shit annoys me to no end--the way both parties in this country (and every other, it would seem) try to pretend to be on the side of the "little guy" (you know, like Palin the hockey mom who spent $150,000 on clothes in two months, or Joe Biden whose net worth easily disqualifies him from membership in the working class, "single fatherhood" in his tax bracket is not exactly a herculean feat)...:mad:

IdleRich

IdleRich
The plot thickens....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/oct/24/mandelson-labour

Turns out that Mandelson was seen dining with Deripaska in 2004 despite claims that they never met until 2006. Strange thing to lie about but maybe relevant to the current situation.
As an aside, is it just me or is this the most pathetic non-article ever rushed out to capitalise on someone's new found notoriety? I mean I hate the guy as much as the next man but this is lame

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/oct/23/georgeosborne-corfu

A whole day ruined by someone driving a motorboat to a pier on the beach where you happened to be sunbathing, wonder how she would cope if something really serious happened like she ran out of olive oil or one or her kids was late for piano practice.

crackerjack

I may be on my own with this, but I find it hilarious. Mandelson's weakness for the rich and richer is a given, and although I should, I can no longer get angry about it.

The way he turned the tables on Osbourne so easily and so dramatically... well, he's been missed, and if he didn't already have one I'd say give the man a peerage.

In fact, what with this, the Republican party falling apart by the hour and the whodafuckingthunkit 'revelation' that the drunk-driving gay-hating nazi-loving leader of Austria's Adolf (Slight Return) Party was a closet case, I feel like all my Marx Brothers movies have come at once.