Has anyone heard any of the winners of the South African-based Kora Awards?

steve-k

I saw this in an e-mail from the afropop.org people. Except for Werra-son, and Usher, I'm not familiar with any of them. I don't recall reading about any of them in the Beat magazine, or online. Can someone recommend any of them?:

Other winners at the Kora 2004 Awards given in December were:

* Best African Group Award: JJC & 419 Squad (Nigeria/ UK) & Malaika (South Africa)
* Best Southern Africa Male Artist: Kabelo Mabalane (South Africa)
* Best Southern Africa Female Artist: Thandiswa Mazwai (South Africa)
* Best male artist from West Africa: Kunle (Nigeria)
* Best female artist from West Africa: Kamaldine (Guinea)
* Best male artist from East Africa: Big Pin (Kenya)
* Best female artist from East Africa: Tsedenia Gebremarkos (Ethiopia) & Achien'g Abura (Kenya)
* Best male artist from Central Africa: Felix Wazekwa (Democratic Republic of Congo) & Werra-son (Democratic Republic of Congo)
* Best African male diaspora (US): Usher (US)
* Best artist Europe-Caribbean diaspora: Kaysha (France)
* Best Female Gospel Artist: Deborah Fraser (South Africa)
* Best gospel male artist: DNG (Kenya)
* Best gospel group: Schekina (Ivory Coast)
* Most promising African male artist: Madson Junior Gnou-Sou (Burkina Faso)
* Most Promising African Female: Swazi (South Africa)
* Best Traditional African Group: Mahube (South Africa)
* Best traditional African artist: King Mensah Aya (Togo)
* Best Video: Zola for 'Don't Cry' (South Africa) & Reggie Rockstone for 'Ah' (Ghana)
* Best Arrangement: Wanda Baloyi (South Africa)

For more info, visit the Kora Awards website. For more on Afropop.org contributor Lydia Martin, visit lydiamartin.net.

xero

was minusone
reggie rockstone is known as the godfather of hiplife music in Ghana, a hybrid of hip hop, dancehall & highlife although from what i've heard his own stuff is fairly imitative of US hip hop (I think he mainly raps in english). Better stuff imo has come in his wake, like obrafour, buk bak, 4X4 & tic tac who mix english & indigenous languages, some of which sound fierce in a rap context & incorporate more highlife elements in the music

jjc & 419 squad did a nigerian version of 'in da club' amongst other things. one of them used to be in big brovaz.

zola is one of south africa's leading kwaito artists. possibly have mp3s if anyones interested.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
steve-k said:
* Best Southern Africa Male Artist: Kabelo Mabalane (South Africa)

if this is the same Kabelo I'm thinking of he's also a kwaito guy. less aggressive than Zola usually sounds. his new record is quite good.

arcaNa

Snakes + Ladders
there's a lot of good hiphop coming our of Africa at the moment.
they should get a lot more exposure than they do! (but i guess it's typical that they get hidden away in the "world music"-section... :mad: )
good people like Ben Loxo du Taccu (sp?) are spreading the word and telling us about a lot of artists we'd never heard about otherwise...! :)