The "how I will be watching the election results" thread

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Our plan is:

- watch at least two climactic episodes from the final series of the West Wing to really get us into the mood for a Democrat victory
- watch the BBC coverage from midnight to about one, with occasional forays into Radio 4, while drinking copious amounts of white wine. Hopefully by one we'll get a feel for how it's going
- get up at about 5 to see what the result is

What are you planning to do? Anyone having an election-themed party? Spending the night hunkered over 538.com and the drudge report? Going to a US-themed bar? Or maybe you are actually in the US and spending all day glued to the TV screen in case a right wing coup d'etat takes place?

STN

sou'wester
Our plan is:

- watch at least two climactic episodes from the final series of the West Wing to really get us into the mood for a Democrat victory
- watch the BBC coverage from midnight to about one, with occasional forays into Radio 4, while drinking copious amounts of white wine. Hopefully by one we'll get a feel for how it's going
- get up at about 5 to see what the result is

What are you planning to do? Anyone having an election-themed party? Spending the night hunkered over 538.com and the drudge report? Going to a US-themed bar? Or maybe you are actually in the US and spending all day glued to the TV screen in case a right wing coup d'etat takes place?

I shall be watching from behind a cushion, hoping for the best, expecting the worst. I got to vote cos I have a US passport but the state I voted in usually (but not always) goes blue anyhow.

D

droid

Ive been awake for about 4 days, so fuck it. - Im going to bed.

crackerjack

Still contemplating....Liverpool on telly til about 9.30...

then the debate starts...coffee and last week's simon schama, then election til 2-3ish.....or, football, followed by pub, shake hands with the man who can then really watch the fuck out of this bitch.

i'm feeling weak

staypuft

bwah bwah
there's a dubstep/dnb nite in San Francisco which will be running election coverage. if obama gets it I'm requesting Tupac - Changes! otherwise I'll cry on a rudebwoy's shoulder.

john eden

male pale and stale
I'm going to

play lots of records

and drink lots of wine

and wake up 7am tomorrow with a shit day in front of me and a shitty hangover

and hear it on Radio 4.

mos dan

fact music
i just bought a bottle of cava, a bottle of vodka, a bag of ice, and some party poppers.

it's not the despair i mind - it's the hope i can't stand

swears

preppy-kei
Going to bed about eleven, and waking up about seven to hear the final result either way, not in dribs and drabs throughout the night. I have this sinking feeling that McCain will scrape through despite the polls, so an Obama victory will be a massive relief. McCain creeps me out, he's Martin Sheen in The Dead Zone, rather than The West Wing. "Yay! Let's diss Putin before I even get elected!"

mos dan

fact music
Who you hanging with though? Hmmm... shoulda bought some cava earlier... maybe have some tomorrow night.

very good! Like everyone, I am paranoid and sweating. I am convinced the republicans will steal it. Again.

http://myfellowamericans2008.com/bl...n-take-the-despair-its-the-hope-i-cant-stand/

getting drunk with my usa-primary-roadtrip travel buddies, also american housemate's american friends and assorted randoms. don't really intend to sleep for some time...

Leo

i just voted, in and out pretty quickly but looooong lines (3+ hours!) in other parts of town and will be worse after the work day ends. i've heard that obama supporters are going to turn the lines into a party, supplying snacks and reading material to make it as enjoyable as possible. mccain supporters might not want to put up with hours of happy obama-maniacs and bail on the line!

Leo

How many people here would stand in line for four hours just to vote?

a surprising number so far in the early voting...which is either a tribute to how much they love their candidate or how bad the current state of affairs truly are.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Four hours.

Four fucking hours.

How many people here would stand in line for four hours just to vote?

I wonder how many of them joined the queue just because it was there and were then bitterly disappointed when they reached the front and realised there wasn't a new games console being released or a celebrity to shake hands with and sign their shirt?

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
How does that happen? - I mean the long queues. That's pretty much unheard of in the UK, for voting, standing in the Post Office it's pretty standard these days though.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Obama is the JFK of the aughts. My generation needed a Vietnam (a war against civilians in the third world), and it got one.

Obama is the FDR of the aughts. My generation needed an economic crisis (a properly traumatic one that would set the class war with its stranglehold on democracy in sharp relief), and it got one.

However you want to look at it, the balances tipped. It was inevitable. It happens every 30 years or so over here.

Seems like Brits are underestimating just how much republicans themselves hate McCain. They hate him even more than democrats do. Probably more, since he's seen as a traitor by the repugs.

This is the first time I've even considered voting in person rather than using my student excuse to send in an absentee ballot or just foregoing it altogether. If I can be motivated to vote, anyone can.

That said I will be tripling up on my medication just in case.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
How does that happen? - I mean the long queues. That's pretty much unheard of in the UK, for voting, standing in the Post Office it's pretty standard these days though.

Because in the past, very few people actually voted, so authorized polling places are only ready for a certain number of voters based on past participation. In general I think something like 40% of people who are eligible to vote in the U.S. actually do. This year they're expecting something like 80%.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
it's like it's some third world country that's new to democracy and can't quite sort its electoral shit out.

Good to hear you're partying with your fellow americans Dan!

John - there's a hint of interest and enthusiasm for this election somewhere in there, I just know it :). Then again, you have just spent the weekend partying with godless communists, so who knows!

Change of plan: I aim to cook large amounts of curry! And drink lager. And maybe try and get hold of ramz' remix of naphta, compare it to mine.