Song of the day/decade

zhao

there are no accidents
nice mos dan.

for those who dont know, brenda fassie is the queen of kwaito, and this tune is the anti-apartheid anthem written for Mandella back in... i think the 80s.

zhao

there are no accidents
song does bang to be fair

i posted it on some other boards and people just do not get it... i too did not experience apartheid (first hand, from the sufferer's side), but the joy of liberation, all those cruel years coming to an end, expressed in this song, like first rays of the sun after winter... just so fucking beautiful.

in Morocco last month one night at this western style nightclub there was an african singer entertaining european tourists with Sade and Michael Jackson... at around 1 AM i requested this song -- the spark in her eyes and smile on her face at the mention of it was just amazing. so she switched the music off, and everyone quieted down as she closed her eyes and did it acappella... and gave it 110% -- her voice just soared and tears did fill my eyes. this photo is from right after:

brenda.jpg

to me the power and spirit of this song is perfect for this occasion, 20 some years after its recording. and i feel so sorry for all the dead-inside cynical people that can not feel the ecstatic glory of this monument to love, life, and freedom...

Last edited:

Shonx

Shallow House
'Snot a patch on :cool:

This has been partly responsible for my associating hands-in-the-air tunes with increasingly authoritarian, oligarch frotting government. The next Euphoria compilation will undoubtedly come with jackboots....

mos dan

fact music
in Morocco last month one night at this western style nightclub there was an african singer entertaining european tourists with Sade and Michael Jackson... at around 1 AM i requested this song -- the spark in her eyes and smile on her face at the mention of it was just amazing. so she switched the music off, and everyone quieted down as she closed her eyes and did it acappella... and gave it 110% -- her voice just soured and tears did fill my eyes.

that's lovely dude :)

i will stop being a lazy sod posting youtube videos and up the woodie guthrie cover i mentioned above:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ubzvjh

zhao

there are no accidents
that's lovely dude :)

i will stop being a lazy sod posting youtube videos and up the woodie guthrie cover i mentioned above:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ubzvjh

haha funny i never heard Springsteen's version, and didn't even know it was written by Gutherie, until now. i had only heard some comedian's parody: "this land is my land, this land is mine... it's not yours, it's mine"

'Snot a patch on :cool:

ok what is dude with the saxophone doing in that vid??? there is no sax anywhere in the tune...

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
When I found that Zhao's link didn't lead to 'Since You Been Gone' by Rainbow, I was surprised, saddened and baffled.