akira rabelais

woops

is not like other people
Anyone remember this guy? He made Argeiphontes Lyre granular processing software a few years ago, only just checked out his music. Very nice, golden era of glitch electronics, plus classical piano, very odd yet thoroughly musical.

Anything out there as weirdly normal as this?

Nobody mention Fennesz and Ryuichi Sakamoto, that was terrible.

straight

wings cru
I feel that turn of the century glitch is my 'Dad Moment'. Everything thats come after that seems like rehashes or i just dont understand. Is it time for a revival? Its always close to my heart (considering the fact ive spent most of my spare time over the last 5 years churning it out)

I like fennesz and sakamoto! not as good as the alva noto collab though

deaf center have gone off the boil a bit, their last ep was a goblin sort of thing but didnt grab me at all

zhao

there are no accidents
good to see his name on this forum (good friend, also played at many of my events in LA)

he's pretty much unique in my mind. i mean there are lots that work in this area but the way he mangles and bends sound, and most importantly the PERSONALITY of his recordings, very unique.

the album of treated recording of extinct Icelandic funeral songs that he dug up in the vaults of Cal Arts is one of the most achingly gorgeous things i've ever heard. and the guitar album is so moody... so lonely and desolate. the piano stuff you must be talking about his treatment of Satie on that Mille Plateaux album.

i remember him playing at one of my events doing this improvisation of cut-up jazz -- amazing. tiny snippets of reeds coalesce a bit similar to Riley's Poppy No Good... i don't know why he never released that stuff.

he sent me promo of his next album a while back, it's got big noisey guitar tracks on it! (of course digital distorted to fuck)

zhao

there are no accidents
other microsound artists with this level of exquisite finesse:

Steve Roden
Stephen Mathieu
damn i better get back to work

zhao

there are no accidents
Best glitch of all = Carsten Nicolai & Ryoji Ikeda project Cyclo

yeah that shit is SICK SICK SICK. and exemplifies the kind of inhuman formalism in opposition to Akira's very human, very emotional digital music...

vimothy

yurp
Favourite Glasto musical memory is '01, stumbling in drugged haze and falling at the feet of crusty Irish bagpipe player playing beautiful insane drone near the stone circle.

straight

wings cru
i learned tin whistle at school from an amazing uillean pipes player. I've been thinking about doing some traditional irish deconstructions for a bit, would be a good way to air some of my expat paddy demons

zhao

there are no accidents
2 bring the 2 strands together: i will bring up pipes with Akira -- would be well wicked to have him digitally stretch and warp some uilleann recordings AM I RITE?!?!?! :D

vimothy

yurp
Cool -- I've been listening to Akira recently for the first time in ages, so this is all coming together with a weird kind of synchronicity....

muser

really liking this stuff cant believe i havnt come across it before.

Would be interesting to hear some pipe treatment, a group of kilt clad bagpipe players is weirdly hipnotic, been caught out in the street a few times.

woops

is not like other people
he's pretty much unique in my mind. i mean there are lots that work in this area but the way he mangles and bends sound, and most importantly the PERSONALITY of his recordings, very unique.

No degrees to uniqueness please Zhao! :mad:

Erm but yep, I've been listening to 'Elongated Pentagonal Pyramid' and 'Eistrophobia'.

Whichever way you like your digital abstraction surely you can't deny that a good 95% of it is going for 'inhuman formalism'. It's the remaining 5% I'm asking about. I'd put Microstoria and Dean Roberts' album 'All Cracked Medias' in the latter category too. Did nobody tell Dean that 'Media' is already plural? Or is it the poststructuralism?

The Fennesz / Sakamoto stuff was really well received as far as I can tell. I seem to be the only person I know who doesn't like it - to me it's like a 3rd-rate glitch CD and 'Piano Moods Volume Six' being played simultaneously.

Any further turn-of-the-century (golden era?) glitch recommendations gratefully accepted.

straight

wings cru
check out oval's 'commers' (remains one of my favourite albums) and 'process', tim hecker's 'radio amor', marcus popp's vocal project 'so' on thrill jockey is another which I go back to time and again. Chihei Hatakeyama's Minima Moralia from more recently fits the organic glitch mould

Erm but yep, I've been listening to 'Elongated Pentagonal Pyramid' and 'Eistrophobia'.

i think Philip Jeck or William Baskinski's music is closer to these records than most mentioned in this thread. Eistrophobia doesn't really reference computers that directly at all. it seems to me he's concerned with a more organic kind of disintegration or decay, albeit in digital simulation. The new recording of The Sinking of The Titanic with Jeck is very good.
AR is an inspiring programmer, his website is great

zhao

there are no accidents

Whichever way you like your digital abstraction surely you can't deny that a good 95% of it is going for 'inhuman formalism'. It's the remaining 5% I'm asking about.

sure there are degrees to uniqueness. in any genre and for sure this one: in a sea of bland cookie-cutter fennesz-wannabe clicks'n'cuts, only a small percentage rise above the status of "noodly sound design" to become works of art worthy of living with over a long period of time. how much of the 95% of formalist digital navel-gazing has strong individual character?

forgot to mention: Kenneth Kirchner. amazing music. everything i've heard have been blown away. love love love his work. the new one the Post Piano series with Deupree are really nice as well. both are good but i think i prefer the first one, a bit more musical, a bit less muddy (but the second one is muddy in a very good way IMO though)

what do people think about Ryoji ikeda's recent work? the last one, Data something, was really noisey, and this new one is rhythmic... almost "beats". i myself love everything the man puts his hands on.