Change

polystyle

What a week
What a confluence of many things ...
So then 2 days after election, the president elect will soon address the country, the planet on the economic situation.
Change follow crashed systems, politicorps, exhausted beliefs, laws, castes
Push comes to > change

We hope
Looking forward

craner

Beast of Burden
As a registered Democrat, I feel less excited about the new Obama administration than the total barren wasteland that is the resulting (revolting) GOP landscape. Look at this choice: Newt or Mitt or Sarah2012!

It's like William Hague and IDS and Anne Widdecombe all over again.

craner

Beast of Burden
An incorrect photo was used for Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal in an earlier version of this graphic. The man pictured was not Jindal. The Baltimore Sun regrets the error.

Ha ha, very good.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
As a registered Democrat, I feel less excited about the new Obama administration than the total barren wasteland that is the resulting (revolting) GOP landscape. Look at this choice: Newt or Mitt or Sarah2012!

It's like William Hague and IDS and Anne Widdecombe all over again.

Are you American? For some reason I thought you lived in the U.K.

You not being excited isn't going to stop this freight train of paradigm shift.

craner

Beast of Burden
Oh, I do. I'm not really a Registered Democrat. Although maybe I'll emigrate, and register. What are the perks like?

Seriously, though, the Bush Administrations have completely gutted the GOP leadership. There's a huge hole where there used be a ruling Country Club caste.

craner

Beast of Burden
It's always fascinating to watch new administrations get formed, though. It's good Obama's getting on with it right away rather than leaving it until, like, the night before, a la Clinton.

vimothy

yurp

Yeah, it's pretty depressing. There are some up-and-coming-ish Republican writers that I like -- Reihan and Douthat and associated crowd, do you ever read them?

subframe

lopsided
Douhat is interesting to read.

I think Mittens is gonna try to basically own the Repubs, starting now. We'll see how Huckabee feels about that.

I generally discount all the talk of the 'death of the GOP', but on the other hand it's fairly difficult to see how they're going to reconcile the two sides of the party. The rational members of the party aren't going to want to keep cuddling up to the religious right and vice versa, but neither can stand on their own. The rational side can't sell their fiscal liberalism at all in the current economic situation, and the religious right - well, they're basically nutjobs and don't really appeal to anyone outside of their own base.

But enough about them! Seeing Obama swing into action and basically start runnin tingz from today is gonna be interesting! Bush is so far beyond a lame duck at this point, although I'm sure he's gonna try and screw whatever he can up...

vimothy

yurp
On the demographics of the Rep base and possibilities for coalition building -- I wanna see stats!

I basically agree with your analysis though. The GOP has issues.

polystyle

The Gop has issues alright.
They've blown it badly, had their time and like everything it ended .
McCain drove himself home after arriving in Arizona,
his aides have begun lining up their 'circular firing squad' ,
Palin's back in Alaska.
Enough about the Repuglicans.
Spotlight on Chicagoans here ...

polystyle

Cabinet

Rahm Emanuel Chief of Staff is tough.
John Podesta from Clinton admin on the transition team.
But he can do better then Lawrence Summers for Treasury imo

What did you think of the press conference ?
The CEO of Google advising the financial team , Warren Buffet.
An order of transition
Automakers ask for billions as GM reports 2.3 Billion $ loss.
Exxon posts record profits ...
Dismal jobs report 10th straight month of decline
Dow up 248 by closing bell ...

vimothy

yurp
Post some links dude! I wanna know what's happening!

Better than Larry Summers? I think Summers could be a very good choice... Geithner as well.

Economy in dire shape, sure -- take more than an election to change that. Will they really give money to GM though? Surely not...

craner

Beast of Burden
I thought this chump would be out of a job now, but he's learning a whole lot of new names instead. Clever.

polystyle

Ok Vim , If we can retire 'dude' (think dude is fixing to clear more um, shrubs from his ranch ):cool:
I get a good deal of info from the NY Times website, as they update continually:
http://www.nytimes.com/ . Sometimes it seems you have to 'join' , but it's free anyway.

And Oliver , I hear you on whomever that (chump) writer is - imo Robert Gates should possibly be left in his position, from what I've seen he's done pretty good in a not easy spot.
Plus Gates has been a transitional figure before -possibly again.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i look forward to Rahm Emanuel getting Goose Island IPA served in the West Wing and him extending the Brown Line to O'Hare.

many thanks to Vim, polystyle and subframe, all good stuff to learn about.

entirely off-topic: Gary Neville, oh dear.