Ancient Chinese Painting

zhao

there are no accidents
sample.jpg

don't know how many around here are interested but i recently found a digital treasure trove: 2,300 works, 3 GB. (above is reduced size, all files are much higher resolution)

download links here

a pre-happy holiday of sorts... (this stuff is public domain so mods do not remove!)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I love those Chinese paintings of 'vertical mountains', they make you think "But nothing like that could be for real, right?", and then you see photographs and that's actually what they're like.

zhao

there are no accidents
I love those Chinese paintings of 'vertical mountains', they make you think "But nothing like that could be for real, right?", and then you see photographs and that's actually what they're like.

or take a boat ride through misty fog filled mountain terrain in Lu Chang :) the character of the landscape is indeed very different from other places on earth...

i was thinking about the caligraphy and the name-stamps on these paintings.

one way to see them is that they get in the way of the image, of the view of the picture. but another way, which is how i think the ancients saw it, is that it reinforces the "object-ness" of the piece of art. that it was not desireable to produce a perfect illusion -- after all, what is the point to represent already breath-taking reality? i think these artists were masters of abstraction, and well aware that what they were making was a "thing" (piece of rice paper); making an object according to its own "laws", following its own logic; and that its resemblance to the actual world is almost inconsequential.

so what you end up with is poetry, is abstraction; based on "impressions" of the world, but not amenable to it.

for all my musings on the continuity between "east" and "west", there certainly did develop, over time, distinctly different approaches to seeing, and very different relationships to nature.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
:cool:
:)
:D

thank you very much Zhao, you legend!

i think it was this article that turned me on to old Chinese painting.

In a typically sly and elegant put-down of professional musicians, whose skills he thought were overrated compared to those of the painter, he famously remarked that “It is easier to strike the five-stringed lute than to note the flight of a wild swan.” His conversation was evidently as spare and economical as his art.

zhao

there are no accidents
thanks for the article. i liked this bit:

It is no use trying to get a likeness by elaboration; one must trust to a touch here and a stroke there to suggest the essence of her beauty.”

which pretty much epitomizes the east asian approach to representation.

ive never been a huge fan of the portrait paintings of imperial court scenes though. i like plants and animals better, but my favorite are of course the landscape...

the scroll i linked to is pretty intersting i think. so stylized and streamlined, and anywhere you stop the composition is amazing.

Karl Kraft

Does anyone pls know if this archive has a working link elsewhere, this one is now dead?
Any help appreciated, thanks!