zhao

there are no accidents
You surprise me, zhao.

less can be said of your comments

oh_snap.jpg

:D

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's good to see zhao's one-man 'wtf.jpg' bandwagon is still trundling happily along.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I would prefer eco-terrorists to Islamofascist ones.

At least eco-terrorists are trying to shock corporations into saving the world.

The Islamofascists just want you to become one of them and maybe get 69 vigins when you commit suicide and take out every cunt you hate while yr at it! And blowing shit up causes noxious fumes bad for the ozone.

I guess the best by-product is you get a few dead scum that might grow up to drive SUV's and have plasma TVs!

D

droid

...Chalk One For Media Activism - The Observer Withdraws The Story

On November 23, Stephen Pritchard, the Observer’s readers’ editor, wrote of the eco-terrorism article:

“It's perfectly legitimate to report police security concerns, but none of the statements were substantiated. No website links were offered, no names were mentioned, no companies identified and no police source would go on the record.” (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/nov/23/readers-editor-climate-change)

He added:

“We've been here before. Other newspapers reported on a predicted 'summer of hate' at climate camps that never materialised and the Press Complaints Commission found against the Evening Standard at climate campers were planning attacks at Heathrow... I can't verify that or the fears about mass murder because, despite repeated requests, Nectu won't respond. Accordingly, The Observer has decided to withdraw the story.”

Kevin Smith sent us his response:

“On the one hand, I obviously think it’s great that the article has been taken down. I think this has real consequences in terms of it not being able to be used in court at a later date for the granting of injunctions and so on. I'm also really pleased in that between this and the upholding of the complaint against the Evening Standard last year at the PCC [Press Complaints Commission], we are sending out a message to the mainstream media that people can't just print outrageous lies and slander against us and get away with it. It sounds like the paper was besieged from a number of different angles by people expressing their dismay at the article - it's really heartening that so many people took this article seriously and took it upon themselves to make complaints.

“I appreciate the efforts of Stephen Pritchard in going through the process of holding the journalists in question accountable and making the decision to retract the piece, but I don't want to get into the mentality of being grateful when it’s just horrendous that the article got printed in the first place. These 'green backlash' pieces were common at the height of the anti-roads protests in the Daily Mail and such papers, but I didn't expect that sort of thing from the Observer.

“I'm also incredulous that such odious, shoddy journalism was able to make its way through all the various layers, people who should have checked it out and spotted it for what it was.

“It's difficult when we spend so much time having to talk about the heavy-handedness of the police and repudiate these sorts of insidious aspersions, when what we are trying to do is have a serious conversation with the mainstream media about the real issues - the unsustainability of the model of constant economic growth in the face of the enormous ecological catastrophe we are facing.” (Email to Media Lens, November 25, 2008)

The last point is the most important. Media like the Guardian and the Observer are run by human beings - people who live on this planet, who have children and grandchildren who will be required to do the same over the next few decades. When will these journalists start having the kind of serious conversation about the real issues that people like Kevin Smith are seeking? When will they wake up from their glossy, PR version of the world to the reality of what we are doing to our planet, to the unimaginable disaster that is overtaking us?

What will it take before they wake up, before we all wake up, to the truth of where we are at this very moment, here, now?

More: http://www.medialens.org/alerts/index.php

waffle

Banned
On November 23, Stephen Pritchard, the Observer’s readers’ editor, wrote of the eco-terrorism article:

“It's perfectly legitimate to report police security concerns, but none of the statements were substantiated. No website links were offered, no names were mentioned, no companies identified and no police source would go on the record.” (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...climate-change)

More: http://www.medialens.org/alerts/index.php

Perhaps Mr Pritchard, following Dissensus' lead, will now invite Buick6 to ruminate on his theories about "eco-terrorists" and "Islamofascists" complete with weblinks, names, organizational identifications, references, and substantiated sources. Wouldn't want the Observer editors to again be accused of publishing 'backlash' articles on such topics or of falling behind the trail-blazing 'free speech' precedent established by Dissensus.