mashups copyright issues

zhao

there are no accidents
i'm thinking of /Rupture's first 2 mashup albums, and how they were able to be released (albeit by the very indie Tigerbeat)

with many big artists like Missy D samples (more like entire sections of songs) on there... do you think they cleared ALL of them??? i guess they probably just said fuck it and took the risk. but i never heard of them getting served in court?

what is the thing with mashups? no way can they hold up as "original" pieces of music when hiphop artists get shit all the time for just sampling a break or horns.

i no understand...

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
speaking in general, given what lawyers charge to get out of bed, you really have to sell a lot - people say 50,000 - to be worth sueing. mostly the labels dont notice and if they do, then send "cease and desist" letter and you dont press any more.

zhao

there are no accidents
speaking in general, given what lawyers charge to get out of bed, you really have to sell a lot - people say 50,000 - to be worth sueing. mostly the labels dont notice and if they do, then send "cease and desist" letter and you dont press any more.

ah thanks! very helpful.

polystyle

Exactly Blackdown.
I think Missy's label probably did pay for samples, part of their 'overhead',
following the P Diddy example / formula from ages ago.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
I would imagine as people stop paying for music this will become less and less of an issue. Only when there's money do people start chasing the samplers.