Dance music in Europe

viktorvaughn

Was thinking whilst watching Gomorah (there is a scene where they listen to some fast and very cheesy/poppy techno in a car) - what's the rough-and-ready dance music getting played in the grimier clubs in Europe for young people?

I do not really mean minimal and similarly (apparently) 'tasteful' genres - what's the equivalent to bassline, funky, hard house, happy hardcore, grime etc?

Or perhaps minimal does fulfil that role in part?

Does some have a Caribbean influence at all?

DNB is massive in E. Europe so I understand. And I think hard techno similarly.

Greece? Spain? Portugal? Baltics?

straight

wings cru
I think the music that features in gommorah is very specifically italian, anyone i know from italy has told me the pop dance music they listen to there is completely beyond rubbish. Minimal is really big in cooler metropolitan spanish clubs but the more boring dugga-dugga kind rather than the trancier peaks and troughs variety. Seems spanish kids are into rubbish 'makina' style hard house that the northern donkers here like. Ive also heard kuduru is really big in Portugal hence Buraka etc.

I may be wrong though, mostly a lot of second hand info

faustus

yeah there's that godawful 'tektonic' that French kids were mad about about 18 months ago (and maybe still are), just shit trance

mucsavage

As far as I know free tekno type stuff and the free parties that it goes with is fairly big in the Czech Republic etc.

john eden

male pale and stale
What was that jump-step stuff wiz ze kerazy dancing people were on about?

Re: Jamaican influence - interesting question.

From the little I know about it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

I guess there may be some reggaeton stuff happening in Spain?

Obv a ragga influence in ragga-jungle and some dubstep (the latter is "tasteful" tho)

The actual reggae scene itself is pretty big in Germany, France, Italy with a bunch of soundsystems, festivals, labels, glossy magazines etc.

I would like to know more about specific influences on dance music tho

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Dutch and Belgians like a little gabber with their industrial-speedcore, or so I'm given to understand.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
this begs the question, are their cities in europe that have enough of a multicultural melting pot to create new sounds, in the way london does? my gut is there probably isn't, but then i'm not running around looking for them either so could be totally wrong.

southern europe is classic for shit chart dance. watching a bunch of lads driving slowly down the beachfront in a drop top giving it the biggun to some completely camp euro trance-lite never fails to make me chuckle...

Client Eastwood

There's usually tastefull techno coming out in Holland from the Delsin camp but i've not heard anything as raw as UK dance music you've mentioned.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I used to go to a pretty decent d'n'b night when I was living in Geneva a couple of years back, come to think of it. Which was a pleasant surprise, I mean it's not really the sort of place I'd have thought would have something like that.

zhao

there are no accidents
I think dancehall/rap crosses far more borders than techno does nowadays.

don't sound right to me... seems to me still pretty segregated. as big as reggae scene is in some places, i think what most kids opt for is electro-rock ala justice and digitalism.

Client Eastwood

don't sound right to me... seems to me still pretty segregated. as big as reggae scene is in some places, i think what most kids opt for is electro-rock ala justice and digitalism.

What im saying is the diversity found in a reggae dance is greater than a techno night.

swears

preppy-kei
i think what most kids opt for is electro-rock ala justice and digitalism.

Isn't that just the more middle class studenty types, though?

Don't think it's the same audience as yr bassline/donk/hardhouse types.

zhao

there are no accidents
What im saying is the diversity found in a reggae dance is greater than a techno night.

oh of course in that regard.

Isn't that just the more middle class studenty types, though?

Don't think it's the same audience as yr bassline/donk/hardhouse types.

my percept might be skewed cuz all there are in berlin are studenty types... and TBH i've no idea what the bassline/donk(the fuck is that?)/hardhouse audience is? working class/poor with guido aspirations?

as a side when i expressed interested in going to Desi events in London (if EVER i make it there), someone warned me that it's completely guido in the worst way...

Client Eastwood

oh of course in that regard.

as a side when i expressed interested in going to Desi events in London (if EVER i make it there), someone warned me that it's completely guido in the worst way...

By guido do you mean seen as an outsider ?

Dont know about London events but here in the North it was predominatly Desi but no bad attitude (having said that Im a Desi and havent been to one for about 10years) The only reason why I would stand out is cos Im an old git.

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

Schranz? Hardstyle?

I quite like hardstyle.

What is the lineage of hardstyle? I don't know much about it, presumed it was British (Very north of England and Scotland too) and an extension of Happy Hardcore - only ever heard it out in a room at a hardcore rave. It was quite exhilarating for a short while but then the one-to-the-floor monotony of it all overcame me. Well different crowd to the bassline raves at the same venue - i think the non-white punters could have been counted on one hand.

Shranz is some similarly rinsing techno variant right?!

STN

sou'wester
What's zouk? I can't bloody remember. Does that fit in here or is it from somewhere else?

I'm sure youths of Algerian descent in France have a style of music associated with them that I read about in some music magazine you haven't hear of (okay, it was The Guardian).

I once went to a wild ragga night in Budapest. It was bloody brilliant. All yard tunes tho.

Good thread, viktor.