Dissensus Cassette Swap - Unplugged

DannyL

Wild Horses
I really enjoyed reading about the old Dissensus Cassette Swap on Ferrite Love Connection , I love getting given cassettes and regretted not taking part. I've also brought Thurston Moore's book on mixtapes which is quite good fun, and more importanly, I've brought a ton of records recently....

So, would anyone be up for some cassette swapping? I'm not going to open myself up to the logicistical nightmare that Chef Naplam did before (though I salute his efforts), but I thought we could do two things. Either 1) anybody who'd like to make and receive a cassette sticks their name here - with a deadline of next Friday. On Saturday, I stick all the names in a hat, allocate partners at random, PM you all to tell you who you should be sending a tape to and recieving from, and you sort it out from there, and post reviews (hopefully). Option 2) is to leave it even more lo-fi and you just holler here if you want a tape and you're prepared to do one back, and we leave it to PMs.

I'm leaning towards option 1 myself. Anyone remotely interested?

Only rule being that whateveer lands on your tape must be stuff you've gone out and brought yourself. no random downloads allowed, as I'm sure we can do that ourselves.

Comments, expressions of bountiful enthusiam and interest, disdain, apathy, nitpicking - fire away.

DannyL

Wild Horses
On second thoughts a third option would be that all tapes get sent to me*, and then I distribute them, thus ensuring that hopefully everyone who makes a tape gets one back. I dinnae mind doing that.

(*I lurk rather than post but Jon Eden will give me a character reference - won't you, Jon? ....

Jon? )

john eden

male pale and stale
On second thoughts a third option would be that all tapes get sent to me*, and then I distribute them, thus ensuring that hopefully everyone who makes a tape gets one back. I dinnae mind doing that.

(*I lurk rather than post but Jon Eden will give me a character reference - won't you, Jon? ....

Jon? )

He's a straight up geezer, known him for yonks.

[will that do? :D ]

I might be up for this.

martin

----
Put me down for this. I love getting stuff through the post.

Apologies to the kind person who did me the last tape and never got a review. Unfortunately, I lost the track listing and am finding it impossible to remember most of the names of the bands/songs (partic the Asian ones) - the Kalianji Something slow-burn disco number was excellent, as were the Atlantics(?) and most of it. I still feel bad about not reviewing it properly, though going on about "the track with the bloke who sounds like he's gurgling in a bath over an impossibly cheery sax break" doesn't really have the same ring to it.

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
In terms of received tapes, the FLC was actually a rousing success: I only had two participants who didn't get tapes. It's the reviews that are tough, if not impossible, to pry out of people.

I've been working on a wifi electric shock delivery device to ensure reviews get delivered, but perhaps your way is better...

DannyL

Wild Horses
Great stuff, I'm twisitng Rich's arm about this as well, so that's four of us at least. I'll co-ordinate getting the tapes to and from people. Let's say a week to sign up, and then till the week after Xmas to do your tape. Everyone interested can post 'em to me first week of January say?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Apologies to the kind person who did me the last tape and never got a review. Unfortunately, I lost the track listing and am finding it impossible to remember most of the names of the bands/songs (partic the Asian ones) - the Kalianji Something slow-burn disco number was excellent, as were the Atlantics(?) and most of it. I still feel bad about not reviewing it properly, though going on about "the track with the bloke who sounds like he's gurgling in a bath over an impossibly cheery sax break" doesn't really have the same ring to it."
That was mine. I can't really get too annoyed about it because I (as of this moment) haven't reviewed the tape I got. I honestly intend to do it though, I've got it sitting by my bed but it's so difficult 'cause I have to go to someone else's house and listen to it and I've only managed to do that once and that was ages ago and I need to listen again to do it justice and I'm a useless, lazy bastard. Sorry.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Chef, maybe there's another way to encourage feedback - maybe I could start a thread or two in January just in thread commentary might be nice? Let me know if you have any more bright ideas. Will PM you, later on today.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Cool - many thanks. I seem to remember that specific track being 'Theme Song' - do you know which film/soundtrack it's off? Any info much appreciated.... "
Yeah, hard to work out 'cause a lot of bollywood stuff has very generic titles for the tracks I find. That track is from a film called Commander, here's what it says about it on popsike

"Get ready for the ultimate KILLER FUNK ALBUM by Kalyandji Anandji: "Commander". Not often on ebay, VERY hard to find. Has amazing hard funk grooves. One long instrumental, which is just the sum of everything you want from Bollywood Funk. Fat, slow open beat, sexy panting lady, funky moogs, plenty bleeps & weird sounds. Towards the end the lady almost comes. Accompanied by strange jungle birds & and a choir of Zombies!
The B-side features a fab sexy song by Asha Boshle: also a slow open beat full of weird sounds. Asha does her unsurpassed giggling. Interruptions of a too funky Horn section, a creepy wind is blowing and the same choir of Zombie complete the Bollywood trip on your dancefloor. Ultimate"!

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4812851436

Kalyandji-Ananji are actually two guys, they've done a lot of good soundtracks.
If you're interested The Atlantics are an Australian (despite the name) surf band. That track sounds like it ought to be Joe Meek but it isn't.

martin

----
Nice one, will try and track that down. Film looks like a blast too...

Yeah, the Atlantics track is brilliant, like the Shadows on angel dust with a bomb about to rip through the studio

tox

Factory Girl
i'd be up for this again. received a very good tape last year which introduced me to a few things, so aye, put me down.

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
I'm in for sure, too.

The problem with the thread idea is that it's not annonymous. Maybe that's not a big deal to anyone anymore?

The trouble was that in order to force reviews, I had to "remind" people regularly. It's a fine line between reminding and nagging, and frankly, I walked on the nag side more often than not.

Danny, your plan to send the tapes all to a central location and distribute them from there is a realy good one. I sincerely wish I'd thought of it.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Hopefully You will this time!

Nice to see this is generating a bit of interest.

RULES and ADMIN stuff (paraphrasing Chef Naplam's a little, up for negoiation if anyone feels strongly).

1. To get a tape, you must make a tape.

2. Try and make something unique, from your own collection, stuff that you have invested money and time in. No MP3s. You should be proud to say "I made that tape". CDs were allowed in the last swap, so I don't see any reason they shouldn't be here, but tapes are encouraged ('cos they are unique one offs).

3. Sign up for participation is (rather arbitrarily) the 12th of December. I'll PM everyone who has expressed an interest then, with an address to send the tapes to You should aim to finish your tapes over the Xmas period, and get 'em in the post to me the week following Xmas.

4. I will then allocate tapes to people and post 'em off, first week of January, all going well.

3. Posting of reviews isn't compulsory, but strongly encouraged and just good manners. This will be done on this site, perhaps with an ongoing reviews thread.

Any thoughts, comments, questions, fire away. I'll keep bumping this thread every few days till the cut off point.

I'm in if I can be. I promise it won't be grime either, despite the potential impression my posts on here generate.