Animal Collective

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
Fairly sure I'm going to be shouted down by most people on the board about this but I'm pretty excited about the new Animal Collective album. The one song that has leaked, Brothersport, is really good, and I really like this video of them playing it:

http://stereogum.com/archives/video/new-animal-collective-video-brother-sport-live-in_009179.html

I didn't really much get animal collective until quite recently, found them a bit sickly and a bit washed out for my tastes, but now...

What do you all think?

BareBones

wheezy
I just started watching that video and was like "hang on, this isn't animal collective, this is konono no1"... i should be more patient. I like it. Sounds a lot better than their other recent output.

I was actually really into quite a lot of their stuff until that last album on domino which I didn't like at all. Didn't listen to that ep that came out afterwards. Saw them live (at the scala i think it was) when Feels was coming out and they were excellent. I still think that first album is probably the best. I bought that when i was in NYC in 2001 when they were still just called Avey Tare & Panda Bear and i'm gutted because i've since lost the disc and now it's super rare and worth loads of money.

BareBones

wheezy
yeah i really liked that panda bear album but i found i got bored of it pretty quickly. "Bro's" is still really sweet though and i definitely dig the way he made the whole thing from sampling. AC are one of those bands who i don't really ever listen to anymore but still have a soft spot for because there was a time when i liked them a lot.

optimum

Poochie
I like that leaked single a lot, basically sounds like they're ripping off panda bear which is a good thing

crackerjack

I didn't really much get animal collective until quite recently, found them a bit sickly and a bit washed out for my tastes, but now...

What do you all think?

I fucking love the Panda Bear album, one of my faves last year. But I can't really get into AC - saw them last year in London and left early. They're just too obtuse, whereas PB I find really soulful. Thought the EP they had out a while back was a lot more accessible - like Optimum says, they should sound more like PB and less like themselves.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
Yeah i always thought AC were interesting as opposed to likeable before, but this song sounds so much more at ease with itself. The whole "all discovering ecstasy" tagline that's been attached to the album is unfortunate though.

Benny Bunter

Hope these lot are returning to form, I thought their last EP 'Water Curses' was better than their last couple of albums. AC are the only vaguely 'indie' band that I really follow nowadays.

Must admit, I'd be more excited by another Panda Bear album though.

echevarian

babylon sister
The very first Avey Tare and Panda Bear album was a long time favorite for me,

They seem to have gone completely in another direction from the bizarre noise psychedelia of that release though.

From what I've heard about this release it sounds as if it fits in with the Gothenburg sound pretty well, although its mixed with a kind of Screamedelica vibe.