Bedtime Reading

Jonesy

Wild Horses
Whenever I crawl to bed red-eyed after reading blogs at silly o' clock I like something else to read before the lights go off.

I leave novels and any non-fiction for daylight hours beacuse I can never read for long. Diaries are best as you can read a few entries.

I'm nearing the end of Alan Bennett's 'Writing Home' and have already read his 'Untold Stories'. Now I'm at a loss.

Can anyone recommend anything? Cheers.

crackerjack

Whenever I crawl to bed red-eyed after reading blogs at silly o' clock I like something else to read before the lights go off.

I leave novels and any non-fiction for daylight hours beacuse I can never read for long. Diaries are best as you can read a few entries.

I'm nearing the end of Alan Bennett's 'Writing Home' and have already read his 'Untold Stories'. Now I'm at a loss.

Can anyone recommend anything? Cheers.

Ackroyd's London works for me. It's been bedside all year and I'm barely past p100.

STN

sou'wester
the kenneth williams diaries?

Get in the Van by Henry Rollins.

I think they published Denton Welch's diaries (with intro by Bennet) and I'll bet they're worth reading.

Also try Borges's Book of Imaginary Beings and Daniil Kharms's weird little short pieces.

what about poetry?

jenks

thread death
The Mitford Sister Letters - 800 pages of brilliance. I have raved about it on here before.

john eden

male pale and stale
The Mitford Sister Letters - 800 pages of brilliance. I have raved about it on here before.

I have that now, but haven't started it yet - so thanks for the recommendation!

I rarely read in bed tho - I find I get really into it and keeps me up.

Actually having said that, I found Sukhdev Sandu's Night Haunts a really good bedtime read.

jenks

thread death
This:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pillow_Book

was perfect bedtime reading.

We still talk about 'pleasing things' :
Finding a large number of tales one has not read before or acquiring the second volume of a tale whose first volume one has enjoyed." "Someone has torn up a letter and thrown it away. Picking up the pieces, one finds that many of them can be fitted together." "I realize that it is very sinful of me, but I cannot help being pleased when someone I dislike has a bad experience." "I am more pleased when something nice happens to someone I love than when it happens to myself."

I remember a clear morning in the Ninth Month when it had been raining all night. Despite the bright sun, the dew was still dripping from the chrysanthemums in the garden. On the bamboo fences and crisscross hedges I saw tatters of spider webs; and where the threads were broken the raindrops hung on them like strings of white pearls. I was greatly moved and delighted

As it became sunnier, the dew gradually vanished from the clover and the other plants where it had lain so heavily; the branches began to stir, then suddenly sprang up of their own accord. Later I described to people how beautiful it all was. What most impressed me was that they were not at all impressed.

Elegant Things: [/SIZE][/SIZE]
a white coat worn over a violet waistcoat, duck eggs, plum blossoms covered with snow, and a pretty child eating strawberries.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Daniil Kharms's weird little short pieces."
Yes, these are bite-sized and fun. You might find yourself continually opting for just one more though.
Maybe Saki is similarly small and easy for a tired brain to digest.