Space Age Sounds

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Forbidden Planet...Day The Earth Stood Still...Welcome To Mars...can you recommend some great space age sounds, please? Not 50s pop or Stereolab....soundtracks or modern artists dedicated to the future retro moog mission.

Thanks

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
I've got that. Thanks anyway.
More specific?
Er...perhaps what I'm after doesn't exist. I'm thinking of the soundtrack for 'Welcome To Mars'...old school but not kitsche retro tat.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm not sure what exactly you're asking for here but maybe some library stuff would fit the bill. Maybe Klaus Weiss - Time Signals on Selected Sound or some of the Gerhade Trede stuff on the same label. There's a Conroy one I've got as well that has a lot of sounds that would fit seamlessly into The Day The Earth Stood Still.
Or how about this?

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/disc...2jwCZ4BygQFbbH!-680025122&pid=7807&aid=757622

I've got some sci-fi soundtrack thing as well which has a track called theremin solo which is pretty cool, can't remember the name though. I could dig it out (if I can find it) when I get home if you like.
Also, I love this record (and I've mentioned it on here before) but it may be a bit cheesey for you, I don't know.

http://www.raucousrecords.com/cds---swing_24/count-down_6922.aspx

I'm guessing you've got Dick Hyman - Moon Gas already.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
That first album sounds great...but rather hard to find? I'm not paying collector's cash for it.

The second is a bit cheesy for the moods I'm after, but I'd enjoy it in another context, I think.

Haven't got Moon Gas - I'm wary of Hyman, having heard some novelty sounds by him. I think I'll have to go digging a lot deeper and start checking all soundtracks from sci-fi films starting mid-50s to...mid-60s-ish.

Thanks anyway.

Numbers

Not really an answer, but your question made me listen to some Esquivel. I almost forgot I got this stuff.

Of course, he's quite the opposite of what you're searching, but still genius stuff. If all cheese was that good...

IdleRich

IdleRich
If you can get this seven it might fit the bill

11660.jpg

It's sort of a bit like Contact by BB or ZoiZoi by Jean Claude Petit and France Gall but it's got weird kind of proto rapping (in French) and a chorus that is quite exotica-ey. Also got computer noises and a kind of computer voice that sounds like the computer in Alphaville. Actually it's not clear what it is from the picture but it's called Beta Gamma L'Ordinateur by Henri Salvador.
Speaking of France Gall the first, er, seven seconds of this track might fit the bill and a few other bits later on when it starts up with the bleeps again (and ceases with the horrible singing)

Another one with a similar sound (but no singing), if these are even in the right ball park, is Blues Machine by John Eaton.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
If you can get this seven it might fit the bill

11660.jpg

It's sort of a bit like Contact by BB or ZoiZoi by Jean Claude Petit and France Gall but it's got weird kind of proto rapping (in French) and a chorus that is quite exotica-ey. Also got computer noises and a kind of computer voice that sounds like the computer in Alphaville. Actually it's not clear what it is from the picture but it's called Beta Gamma L'Ordinateur by Henri Salvador.
Speaking of France Gall the first, er, seven seconds of this track might fit the bill and a few other bits later on when it starts up with the bleeps again (and ceases with the horrible singing)

Another one with a similar sound (but no singing), if these are even in the right ball park, is Blues Machine by John Eaton.

:D That clip's amusing...who are those men sitting watching the performance? Bizarre. But Rich, you're way off target, old chap!

IdleRich

IdleRich
"That clip's amusing...who are those men sitting watching the performance? Bizarre. But Rich, you're way off target, old chap!"
Well, I did say only the first seven seconds (ie the bit with the bleeps and no singing). I readily admit that it's a terrible song which cannot be redeemed by its first twentieth.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
this:

http://www.discogs.com/release/492239

might be the finest set of late 50s space age electronics (it was originally recorded in 1957).

and this one:

http://www.discogs.com/release/492251

is pretty great too.

The 'Popular Electronics' box set from Basta arrived today through the post...:)...includes all of Dissevelt's electronic work...the above album is spot on, as is the rest of his stuff from what I've heard so far. Thanks for the tip. Just the kind of thing I'm after.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
That first album sounds great...but rather hard to find? I'm not paying collector's cash for it.

The second is a bit cheesy for the moods I'm after, but I'd enjoy it in another context, I think.

Haven't got Moon Gas - I'm wary of Hyman, having heard some novelty sounds by him. I think I'll have to go digging a lot deeper and start checking all soundtracks from sci-fi films starting mid-50s to...mid-60s-ish.

Thanks anyway.

What about Conrad Schnitzler? I really really love "Jupiter"...

http://rapidlibrary.com/index.php?q=conrad+schnitzler+jupiter

Tangerine Dream?

These are pretty obvious, though, and not very B movie...

Last edited:

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
I've got some TG, but nothing by Schnitzler - I'll have a look/listen. I sense there's a hidden universe of electronic sound from the late-50s by various nationalities.