BLOC 2009 feat. FSOL, Jamie Lidell, Carl Craig

Me too! Bloc is an amazing weekend. I went 2 years back and loved it. England v Ireland football matches on the grass on the sunday.. drink in hand and all. Just got an email saying Skream and Benga b2b were added today, probably my best night out this year was when they played the student's union in Belfast.

tom lea

skream and benga is the least of my troubles - martyn, 2562, rustie, hud mo, jackmaster, davinche, appleblim, pinch, modeselektor, metro area...

Jamie Lidell, 4hero... really looking forward to seeing Rustie & Hud Mo too.

It's such a nice size, everyone is there for the music and you bump into people several times. plus all the Butlins facilities and the nice wee chalets so you can invite a few raver girls back for a cup o tea, can't beat it.

BareBones

wheezy
i went this year and didn't think it was quite as good as everyone made it out to be, despite the fantastic lineup. I think i peaked on the first night at the skull disco rave. Being tempted by the lineup again for this next one though - dj godfather, afrika bambaata, lee perry...

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
AFX and Hecker. The 'and' is very important.

I thought this line up looked a bit so-so to start with –*Benga b2b Skream no longer has quite the same ring as it once did, and Skream was terrible last year. But now the line-up looks totally ace.

tom lea

there were two dubstep djs in that resident advisor top 100 this year, and one was skream. i mean really. fuck off. his stella session show's good for some of the new bits he plays, but when he djs out he gets pissed and half-mixes his records really loud. give me twenty new benga dubs and i'll do the same thing.

Skream is a crackin party dj, he loves it and knows how to hype the fuck out of a crowd, seems like a sound man too.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Does "being a great party DJ" equate to "waiting until the bass drops and then drunkenly rewinding it again and again"? Because that's what he was like last year.

I have a vaguely serious point to make – it seems to underline, for me, dubstep's frequent lack of complex, evolving structures. All there is to do is wait for the bass drop, and the repeat ad infinituum. It was never like that with drum 'n' bass.

Does "being a great party DJ" equate to "waiting until the bass drops and then drunkenly rewinding it again and again"? Because that's what he was like last year.

haha, yes! But the Belfast crowd were definitely not pondering over dubstep's frequent lack of complex, evolving structures/ bass materialism/ dubstep being a competition for the biggest drop/ writing about the gig on their fucking blogs the next day.. I expected a party from him and he delivered, everybody was smiling. I'm sure if i lived in London and caught him playing all the time i'd tire of this formula too. When i said "Skream is a crackin party dj" i meant "that was a crackin party"

straight

wings cru
skream doesnt play all the time in london any more, peeps grumping about him on here is about the fact he just he seemed like he was phoning it in for a long time to the post dnb student wobble cru. his performance at the dj mag awards was ubelievavble though, playing absolute destroyer new material in a funky/jungle/vocal mash out which ive eulogized on here before. if hes gone back to wobblers after that then game over, hes being a tart

viktorvaughn

skream doesnt play all the time in london any more, peeps grumping about him on here is about the fact he just he seemed like he was phoning it in for a long time to the post dnb student wobble cru. his performance at the dj mag awards was ubelievavble though, playing absolute destroyer new material in a funky/jungle/vocal mash out which ive eulogized on here before. if hes gone back to wobblers after that then game over, hes being a tart

Skream b2b Benga the other week at FWD definitely had a strong wobbler elelements...

nochexxx

harco pronting
bought my tickets today and am looking forward to it but i am wondering how this festival will compare to all those amazing early atp events at cambersands?

i should imagine although similar, the simple touches of having a band curate everything from the acts that play, to the music and tv shows pumped in your chalet is something i shall deeply miss. also the beach in cambersands, derrick jarman's garden and the smokery next door make for an excellent day trip.

i'm very interested to see what a robert hood "live" set means, and also what an egyptian lover "live" set entails. any ideas?

powerpill

bought my tickets today and am looking forward to it but i am wondering how this festival will compare to all those amazing early atp events at cambersands?

i should imagine although similar, the simple touches of having a band curate everything from the acts that play, to the music and tv shows pumped in your chalet is something i shall deeply miss. also the beach in cambersands, derrick jarman's garden and the smokery next door make for an excellent day trip.

i'm very interested to see what a robert hood "live" set means, and also what an egyptian lover "live" set entails. any ideas?

Butlins @ Minehead is literally right on the beach though. A few mates went to the old ATP events and said they were quality. really looking forward to this though. i just hope people will be allowed on the go carts and that they have some sort of woodland adventure going on. :D

mos dan

fact music
his solo set the night marcus nasty played was embarrassing.

seriously, after about two/three songs, there was this rapid and uncoordinated exodus of dissensus posters away from the dancefloor and straight out the door. it was quite funny actually.