Kiss

STN

sou'wester
I am really, really bored at work today so I am going to start a thread about Kiss, even though they are basically fucking rubbish, except for:

Do you love me?
Torpedo Girl
Crazy nights
black diamond (this is wicked by anyone's standards)
Cold Gin
Strutter

Other than that, they are horrendous.

Oh and the Ace Frehely solo record is okay, but why would you ever bother listening to it?

vimothy

yurp
On the other hand, this is probably the best guitar shape ever:
276068.jpg

mos dan

fact music
i saw gene simmonds on american tv back in 99, on some fox news discussion show, talking about how palestinians all deserved to be shot or something - wild crazy zionist twat, basically. after that i have not been able to look at them in the same way. not that i liked them before really tbh. it was just quite a gross interview to see.

mos dan

fact music
heh well as long as that's straightened out. i was just genuinely surprised at how vehement he was, i wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise (sorry to sound like a grump..)

iirc he was asked about israeli incursions into palestine and responded 'if someone kills one of your family members, you have to take out their entire family'.

anyway do pls carry on talking about their music now soz :D

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
KISS with make-up are unassailable in my opinion. I saw them on the Hot in the Shade tour, without make-up (sadly), at like, age 12, and was enthralled. The first concert that I chose to go to, rather than, say, dragged to. My mother drove me and my cousin to the stadium in Allentown, Pennsylvania; Little Caesar, and Slaughter, were the openers. Kiss absolutely killed it, and the effects were incredible (giant sphinx, lasers everywhere, pyrotechnics, balding dudes playing air-guitar). I remember my mom ushering us out during the encore, R&R All Night, and I was dragging my feet through the parking lot, catching the chorus repeating ad infinitum, and there was a strong undercurrent of melancholy in the melody that I had not noticed before, and have not been able to shake since then. I want to rock and roll all night, but alas, I cannot, because my mother wants to beat the traffic. Longing. Unfeasability. I remember retrieving Coke cans from the trunk of mom's car, distended and misshaped from the summer heat, and the bitterness of the hot brown soda.

:mad:

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
By the way, there is this epic interview that was on National Public Radio here in the US, in which Gene Simmons comes off as the biggest prick on planet earth. Worth seeking out. Seriously.

Also, I am posting twice in this thread to mention that I played Rock Band (wii) with my cousins this past weekend, and I sang Detroit Rock City with complete abandon.

FIRST I DRINK, THEN I SMOKE!
dint-dint, badint-a-dent-dent!

^ best advice ever in a rock lyric

petergunn

plywood violin
I am really, really bored at work today so I am going to start a thread about Kiss, even though they are basically fucking rubbish, except for:

Do you love me?
Torpedo Girl
Crazy nights
black diamond (this is wicked by anyone's standards)
Cold Gin
Strutter

Other than that, they are horrendous.

Oh and the Ace Frehely solo record is okay, but why would you ever bother listening to it?

NY GROOVE!

i'd add Parasite and Plaster Caster to the list of "ok Kiss songs"....

has anyone heard that thing where someone edited a whole tours worth of Paul Stanley between song banter w/o the songs... fucking awesome...

"I HEARD SOME OF YOU PEOPLE OUT THERE LIKE TO DRINK VODKA AND ORANGE JUICE!!!!!!"

Leo

"kiss alive" is one of the best rock'n roll live albums ever...even if the applause are dubbed in, or at least kicked up a notch in volume. for a while, it was the soundtrack of high school in america (along with "toys in the attic" and various zep).

Octopus?

...you can add in Ace Frehley's "Snowblind" as well.

I actually have a huge soft spot for their disco era, 'Dynasty' and 'Unmasked' are highly questionable classics of the highest order. No love for the lifeless nostalgia trip they are today, though.

...and that Paul Stanley stage banter discs is one of the best things I have heard in my life. "You gonna fly the friendly skies!"

mos dan

fact music
...you can add in Ace Frehley's "Snowblind" as well.

is that the guy referenced in weezer's 'surf wax america'? "i've got... ace freely" it always sounded like to me, but then i know bugger all about this kind/era of music really... (this will prob change come the xmas-week guitar hero session that my mates have been promising/threatening me with)

Octopus?

is that the guy referenced in weezer's 'surf wax america'? "i've got... ace freely" it always sounded like to me, but then i know bugger all about this kind/era of music really... (this will prob change come the xmas-week guitar hero session that my mates have been promising/threatening me with)

Yep, he's the one. Followed by Peter Criss who is responsible for penning and keening one of the worst (yet best known) songs Kiss ever recorded - "Beth".

If you've ever gone shopping in a supermarket, you've heard it.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
Aw, c'mon. If you've ever been in a band and had a girlfriend (at the same time), you know that Beth captures the conflict so well.

🤷