Favourite break

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Apologies if this has been done before - but if it has it didn't look to have been done very recently.
Anyway, from immersing myself in nuum/scenius centred music over the last month or so, I've come to appreciate the role of breaks in the construction of a track like I haven't before, and I was wondering if people have a particular favourite breakbeat? Personally, I've developed a real fondness for the Apache break, I like how it flirts with being quite cheesy without going all the way, if that makes sense.
I suppose you can think of this either in terms of just the 'sound' or beat of the break itself, which is what I was mainly going for, or how well it functions as a component for producer-made tracks (though if that's the criteria, then you can't really argue with Amen, can you?). This can also be a chance for people to mention more obscure breakbeats that me or others might not have heard before.
(And on a tangent, is it just me or are the orignal records that the breaks are taken from pretty darn good most of the time? Those instrumental or semi-instrumental soul and funk tracks from the 70s often seem to have a stronger groove than the the vocal-lead ones that were hits. I suppose it's more evidence of how taking that 'funktionalist' approach to making tracks can be a positive).

matt b

Indexing all opinion
as mentioned in your post:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ability to chop up and reconstruct unparrelled

STN

sou'wester
Impeach the President always passes me by, i.e. I don't recognise it immediately, even though it tends to be used on quite similar records.

hint

party record with a siren
Impeach The President is my favourite from a purely sonic perspective. The hi hat has that dark and heavy sound to it that you don't hear so much in modern production.

The snare on the Skull Snaps break is fantastic. Defined a whole school of Hip Hop production.

Ashley's Roachclip is special - despite being a drummer and a tambourine player, it somehow feels like it's been assembled from samples and programmed. The kick sounds very contemporary. The stab leading into the break is great too.

The groove on Banbarra's Shack Up is untouchable too.

Last edited:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
For the sound and feel, I'd go with The Headhunters - 'God Made Me Funky' (has a few seconds of silence at the start there) Not so into the congas, but that initial beat...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and Al Green - 'So Glad You're Mine'

Neither of which sound very good chopped up, tho...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The Al Green one that was used on Massive Attack's 'Five Man Army' - so distinctive.

'I Know You Got Soul' is still a fantastically funky break, and the record it was used on is pretty unbeatable too.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Cheers to everyone for replying.

mattb: That remarc track is fantastic, thanks.

Bang Diddely: Top stuff, can imagine some of the crazy dancing that went on to that track back in the day. I forget about the actual breakdancing side of breaks sometimes.

hint: Wasn't aware of those ones, cheers, they're excellent so far.

michael and baboon: Def agree about So Glad You're Mine, the first time I heard Five Man Army I just thought 'wow, where does this great drum track come from?'.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
On a semi-related tangent, does anyone else ever listen to Mother by Goldie and, despite their best intentions, always end up fast-forwarding to where the beats kick in?

Pestario

tell your friends
I went through a stage of complete obsession with the funky drummer break and tried to acquire every hiphop track that used it. Seems a bit dumb now but my search led me to some great music.

mixed_biscuits

Only tracks I remember with it at the mo' are Leftfield's Storm 3000 (3:30 in) and a more subtle variant on Sunscreem's Release Me, tho' it's appeared on tons of other things.

Packet of ginger biscuits to whoever can identify its provenance.

hint

party record with a siren
Dunno what it's called, but it's the break that goes: BOOM tick-a-tick-a-tick-a-boom-chack-a...

Only tracks I remember with it at the mo' are Leftfield's Storm 3000 (3:30 in) and a more subtle variant on Sunscreem's Release Me, tho' it's appeared on tons of other things..

You mean the drum machine?