lukid/actress/werk discs

tom lea

really should be a thread on these guys, given their recent output. since the zomby album there's been lukid's foma and actress's hazyville- both amazing, and both just nonchalantly released without really bothering about press. considering the disrupt album came out on vinyl this year too, that's four great lps from them this year. what other label can say that?

really feeling the lukid in particular. i've only got an unmastered version, but even in that form it sounds brilliant. proper squashed, bottom-heavy hip-hop. his bootleg of 'nude' and fact podcast are great too. there's some connection with actress and hyperdub, but i can't remember the details.

[edit: to be fair, warp can probably say that- gang gang dance, flylo, autechre, pivot. some mentals thought the squarepusher was good too.]

Last edited:

childrentalking

i think him & actress did that 'thriller' 12" earlier in the year too. dunno if it was a side each or a collboration. whatever, it's ok.

i like the actress album. nice half-arsed feel to it, random sequencing (the opening track is... not much of an opener), feels like a sketchbook of ideas more than anything.

tom lea

yeah, i remember reading about some other recent lukid bootleg but i didnt know what it was. nice one.

BareBones

wheezy
well looking forward to the night at the amersham next week with kode9 / lukid. i really liked lukid's "onandon", i hadn't actually realised he'd realised another album... i will investigate

po1ntman

I've bought all three albums released to date and must admit they're all really good.

Looking forward to the new Lukid album. At the moment I'd buy anything released on Werk. Top, top label.

Easy

po1ntman

michael

Bring out the vacuum
The Lukid album reminds me of Reflection "The Errornormous World" but with more Flylo-d drums, anyone else hear comparison that too?
Nah, that Reflection album is way stranger... and quite a different sound palette, I reckon. I find it almost unlistenable in places, but have kept it all these years just because it is so distinctive and odd.

Lukid's alright - I picked up 'Onandon' in a frenzy of buying up this kind of stuff and thrashed it for a bit but have no interest in listening to it again. Coincidentally picked up Reflection's new album at about the same time.

My favourite track Lukid's done is with Take, who I think is much more interesting:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tried Actress, didn't really get it.

mms

sometimes
i like the bug's take- that trip hop's interesting now cuz these guys are actually fucking trippy.

not this guy though, not for me anyway, someone like flylo, rustie, zomby, lone yes, but this coulda come out on mowax in the 90s.
It's a good thing that instrumental hip hop has become genuinely tripped out in places, wish it could reflect back onto the mainstream and add some more versatility and imagination to what mcs do.

I'm wondering if obama and a black president will have an effect on mcs verses, whether mc's will recognise anything bigger than just grindin.

Last edited:

tom lea

not this guy though, not for me anyway, someone like flylo, rustie, zomby, lone yes, but this coulda come out on mowax in the 90s.
it's funny, cuz i was saying that about lone the other day. different strokes i guess.

mike slott is smashing it too. that 7" that just came out, some of the stuff that's been on radio 1 and his myspace. those 2 heralds of change eps that got repressed are killer. i can only see him getting better.

mms

sometimes
it's funny, cuz i was saying that about lone the other day. different strokes i guess.

mike slott is smashing it too. that 7" that just came out, some of the stuff that's been on radio 1 and his myspace. those 2 heralds of change eps that got repressed are killer. i can only see him getting better.

yeah he's good too, lone is more synthy, he's got that boards of canada charge but more skunked out.

man and machine

Wild Horses
yeah, mike slott, heralds of change, the boy's on it. hudmo's last excursion on that 7X7 7" series was pretty sick too. and his Ooops! EP is just too much!

yeah he's good too, lone is more synthy, he's got that boards of canada charge but more skunked out.

bit disappointed with the lone album tbh. if he cut the album to around 12/13 tracks i think it would have been much better. and he sounds a bit too much like BoC

po1ntman

The Lukid album reminds me of Reflection "The Errornormous World" but with more Flylo-d drums, anyone else hear comparison that too?

I have the Refelction album on CD but haven't listened to it for years. I whack it in my ipod now, cheers for the heads up. I used to buy everything on Clear back in the day too. Released some great stuff. The Herbert and Plaid releases were particularly good. Oh and Jake Slazenger.

Easy

po1ntman

tom lea

there's this new cloaks ep they've put out too. i listened to them for the first time tonight- just the bits on their myspace, but you can't judge it at that quality. i'm holding out hope that the actual vinyl will sound like rave skullflower or something.

Viral Radio

Lukid played very well in Amsterdam, although most people did not like his lack of DJ-skills - his selection was great. Mike Slott absolutely killed the Bimhuis last year, one of my favourite producers of the moment.