Hard House

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Partly inspired by the "What is funky house?" thread, I've just picked up a few cheap hard house bits from hard to find records on a whim, and some of this stuff actually sounds great. Heavy rave vibes completely unlike the Darude-type stuff I associated with the style.
Good things I just checked:

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR91506 (artist names alone make me want to buy this)
http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR74393
http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR138373

Any other recommendations/shrill cries of mocking?

Early 00s Nukleus is covered with hoovers and darkside synths, some mad shit. I moved to London after that and lost my frame of reference.

philblackpool

gamelanstep
I always thought hard house was a bit unnecessary - lacking the slinkiness of house but not as effectively full-on as hardcore techno. In the brief period when I was showing an interest though, I think Fergie & BK's "Hoovers & Horns (Ingo Remix)" sticks out...one of those slowy-down-starty-up-again records that comes along every so often & puts a big smile on your face. In fact, Ingo was pretty wild for a coupla records ("Hallo" is very unapologetically unmusical), but he seems to have gone a bit dull since then...

philblackpool

gamelanstep
Yeah, Tidy Trax has been at it forever & most of the people worth their salt seem to have been involved. You'd have to get pretty into it to sort the wheat from the chaff though. They get semi-props from me for rereleasing some Dyewitness & the fact that some of the most straightahead early noughties stuff has ended up being essential to the development of the north-west bouncy scene (which I'm prepared to get roasted about even mentioning, as it is kinda home territory for me, being a Blackpool resident).

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
friend of mine (sadly not with us anymore) made this 20 years back. RIP Niall...

but this was deep tech 10 years before, oldskool hardcore samples and a hard as fuck bassline to die for. In some senses hard house was the continuation of the nuum (within the gay scene)

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
although I'm more interested in pre-94 trade personally, when daz saund and trevor rockcliff would play nutty belgian techno and hard acid (as well as pre-jungle dark hardcore) to bears.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Early 00s Nukleus is covered with hoovers and darkside synths, some mad shit. I moved to London after that and lost my frame of reference.

tbf hard house was huge in london in the early 00s amongst the non-UKG but not purist detroit techno raving contingent.

Like hard house is essentially whatever got played at Turnmills during trade's hayday.

although I'm more interested in pre-94 trade personally, when daz saund and trevor rockcliff would play nutty belgian techno and hard acid (as well as pre-jungle dark hardcore) to bears.

I've been jonesing for a good Colin dale or Colin faver mix for about a week now. This was what most people were into when hardcore lost its magic and jungle was still... coagulating. Nights like knowledge, deep space, maybe lost and a million and one clubs on the Thames valley and Midlands. I think techno is going to come back really strong, it's overdue.

I went to this and picked up the tape about a week later. Played it loud through blown speakers all summer, watched it echo off the Portland stone all around the quad. Guy in the room next door chose to move out and I had to go see the Dean. How the fuck I a) got into that place and b) never got thrown out, I don't know.

It's probably the best mix that's ever been posted on dissensus, by the way, that last 5 minutes... Antic pharmadigital energy.

This spirit is gathering itself again, I can feel it, gathering bits and piecess and circumstances like a caddis fly larva.

Last edited:
tbf hard house was huge in london in the early 00s amongst the non-UKG but not purist detroit techno raving contingent.

Like hard house is essentially whatever got played at Turnmills during trade's hayday.

Interesting. I only ever went to one night here after I moved as I was too swept up in pirate radio music. There was so much of it up North 2001-2 though. Lot of people referred to it more as scouse house because of the meme-like nature of that sound, but places like the Sunrise were so musically tough.

Truthfully i cant really detach the music from my olden days mdma habit but there are certain tunes that still resonate now, particularly the rave piano gear that really used to cut through the intensity